ad: Radclub22-1

Amazon Alexa as a Shack Companion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0PSX, Nov 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Wouldn't Google or your ISP be a better source of this info than Alexa? Alexa only processes what you ask. Amazon already knows what I buy because I was buying it on Amazon before Alexa. Google (or Bing, etc.) knows a lot about what folks are looking at - the search engine is a double edged sword.

All of what you describe happens now, and Alexa is not the cause. Targeted advertising has been going on before the Internet was invented - it just got much more efficient and direct.

There are several distinctions to make here. Alexa is a tool - just like using a iPhone to access Google. There is very little that is piped thru this tunnel at my house; Alexa is my alarm clock, reports on the weather, and turns on/off my house audio in the morning. In the kitchen, she answers random questions, tells a joke, and manages timers. Unless you're arguing that Alexa/Amazon is recording everything, which is simply not true and I have verified it. It's a very limited portal.

My computer and smartphone, on the other hand, have my taxes, bank account info, every e-mail I have sent, etc. Huge amount of data. Alexa, not so much.

The issue some folks were making was about Alexa being an always on recorder sending your conversations to who knows where. This is not the case, and is easily verified with tools readily available. It wasn't about Samsung - I don't have a Samsung TV, and I don't know the particulars, nor can I test.

Like you point out, we freely "give up" TONS if information for services. Gmail looks at my e-mail, and makes calendar reminders for airline tickets, for example. Very convenient, but has security implications. That's not what this thread is about, it's about Alexa. And my point - dovetailed into yours - is Alexa is the least of your worries. :p

N0TZU likes this.
  2. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve:

This thread blossomed into a privacy issue based on one or two comments that seem to have struck a chord with many, many users. That issue concerns Alexa and many similar devices, both audio and video that are extending privacy invasion ever deeper into our lives. You are actually extending this direction with every post you make refuting the invasion of privacy these devices are achieving.

And if you think Alexa and its kin (video, audio, internet, etc.) are simply tools for you to use, I'd say your gullibility metric has just hit "95" out of 100 (watch out for home improvement phone calls - coming to you, soon). Because their main reason to exist, and where most funding comes from, is data mining. Date is the primary currency of the 21st century, since we've learned to extract, pre-process, package and sell it so very efficiently.

If you object to this direction, I'm perfectly willing to drop the topic. The point has been made. I'm done.

Time to go to the Auto Show! Have a good day.

Brian - K6BRN

3. ND4AA

ND4AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to ask "Who's da Man? Otherwise I kept getting the description of Demand from an economic perspective.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So moves the invisible hand ;-)

ND4AA likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I'm really enjoying having Alexa around in two Echos. Mostly we use it for music, getting the latest headlines, or answers to simple reference questions. Haven't found a compelling ham radio use yet though.

It isn't perfect but so far it puts Siri to shame, who seems to be stuck in a time warp from 5 years ago. The Amazon streaming music service is very easy to use and cheaper than Apple especially since we already have Amazon Prime. Sonos is too pricey, and I was tired of waiting for an Apple solution, probably pricey and which has now been delayed to "sometime" in 2018 - what the heck?!

6. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what I've found too. Amazon music is very reasonably priced. Even the unlimited plan is cheaper than Rhapsody/Napster that I had before. 99% of the time I use it for streaming music at work. The other 1% is me asking Alexa "Who's the boss" and she happily replies, "You are". There is some satisfaction in that.:) The only ham use I have found is asking Alexa "What's the current solar cycle". There may be others but I have not tried any other.

7. 2I0KIC

2I0KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice one Jason. 73s

8. KC9EE

KC9EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was visiting friends over Thanksgiving and everyone wanted Alexa to do something different simultaneously. Turns out Alexa isn't too bad at pileup management. Tailenders were forced to wait there turn. QRO and proximity were important factors. A future firmware includes ability to work by zones(rooms). 73 & Merry Christmas, Gary KC9EE

9. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can do that now with Echo Dot. I'm not sure about Echo though. That might be the firmware update that's coming.

10. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

11. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Today my friend called me on skype to tell me how cool it was that he connected his Alexa to his house so he can say "Alexa, open the garage door", "Alexa open the gate", etc. I have some of these features also, I can set my AC temp, turn on lights, etc.

As he was demonstrating I knew I was on speaker phone so I yelled into the phone "Alexa, order more batteries!"

Alexa started talking and we both started laughing ... I heard Alexa say "OK the total is $15.69 ... ".

I stopped laughing when I realized it was MY echo that was talking not his!

12. N0TZU

Connecting vital home devices and appliances to the internet is something I have absolutely no intention of doing. Trading security, reliability, simplicity and low cost just to get a little bit of convenience is a very bad bargain.

KA0HCP likes this.
  13. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect folks initially felt that way about e-mail, txting, on-line banking and bill pay, on-line shopping, streaming movies, facebook, etc, etc.

KI6IPO and N0WAR like this.
  14. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Until the security and privacy problems have been addressed, I'll pass and remain my happy, ignorant somewhat connected luddite self :D

W3TWG likes this.
  15. N0TZU

True, but I believe there is a real and substantial difference with IOT.

Connecting home appliances, locks, lighting, etc. to the Internet invites trouble from software bugs that could leave my home unlocked, the security system disarmed, my refrigerator or furnace turned off, my car inoperable, etc., as well as hacks and attacks on my home and my personal well being. Having a virtual problem or ID theft is bad enough, but a physical one is potentially much worse.

At this point even simple IOT thermostats and security cameras are unreliable and easily hackable. If at some point IOT devices are secured adequately and their software is reliable then I would reconsider.

Let Amazon control my front door lock and give access to the package delivery guy? Oh sure, why not, what could possibly go wrong with that plan? And if you think either of those businesses would take responsibility in the fine print of the user agreement, I have a great deal on Florida land for you!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    N1OOQ likes this.