ad: cq2k-1

RSGB Online Examinations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Nov 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

2. 2M0JST

2M0JST Guest

100's of exam centres?

3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be possible to allow people to do the exam online, alone at home. I've done a certification exam for work that way. The security is taken pretty seriously. You need a camera and microphone and someone watches you for the whole time. The camera needs to see your eyes and hands. You can't wear a watch. They use some sort of face recognition for identification that you setup a few days earlier.

These are the requirements and how it works:
    https://www.kryteriononline.com/sites/default/files/docs/PreparingForYourExam.pdf

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I'm not a big fan of online training, but this is an interesting development.

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

This is testing, not training.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I know, but it'll make online training even more convenient now. Both train and do your exams at home.

Still, not a fan of online training and/or online testing.:D

I'm not saying it's the worst there is, but my ITIL testing is not an experience that I want to relive, given the choice. I passed on my first try, by the way.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2017
  7. M0XRD

M0XRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Done mine at the RSGB convention in October 2017. All professional and friendly atmosphere and found out that I had passed on the day.
    Carol & Lynn at the RSGB were very helpful in the weeks following the exam.
    Keep up the good work.
    Regards
    Wayne
    M0XRD.

M0ORH likes this.
  8. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Eh? What? Oh, sorry Dave and co. I must 'ave fallen t'sleep!

9. M5PM

M5PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Difficult to do the practical part of the test if you’re on line testing.

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

It all depends how practical you really want it to be. I remember (over 15 years ago) when Cisco had simulators that were almost like the real thing. Granted that not everything can be simulated, a lot can.

M5PM and MW1CFN like this.
  11. KC2QQR

KC2QQR Ham Member QRZ Page

I do and don't agree with online ham exams. I would like to see more hams on the air, but it also takes away from the experience. They mention "instant gratification", you already get this when you go to the testing site, take the exam, and find out if you pass/fail. I myself enjoyed the bit of scheduling the exam, and taking it with real people. Maybe that's just me. The only part I didn't like was trying to fit taking the exam in my already busy schedule, but I managed to do it. Some complain of this -- but the way I see it, if you really like ham radio, then you'll find the time for it. I hate to say this, but there are some things that shouldn't be changed.

12. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I did not watch the video, if they promote the online exam as 'instant gratification', I think it's a mistake. Instant gratification would be an exam that is just pro-forma, nobody fails. The exam should still be a serious one, you are just making it more convenient to take.

The 'exam experience' is not something the majority of people enjoy, quite the contrary. It's a 'necessity o life', no doubt, and should never be done away, be it in hamradio or any other endeavor.

13. M0REU

M0REU Ham Member QRZ Page

This, to date, does not happen in the UK.

For the Foundation and Intermediate levels you get an provisional result from the examiners, but for the official result -you have to wait for it to arrive by post. The provisional result does allow you to apply for your license.

For the Full license, the examiners do not give you any indication of whether you passed or failed -you must wait for it to arrive in the post.

So in a way, we are catching up with the way you do it.

14. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, by that logic, we should insist that FCC start giving the exams at their offices again. Nothing put the fear of God (and the Feds) in me as much as walking into the marble mausoleum known as the Customhouse in San Francisco at 8 a.m. on a rainy Friday morning, and facing the dreaded one-armed FCC examiner. You just knew that if you blinked sideways, you'd spend the rest of your days in Alcatraz! If you went through that experience a time or two, you'd never think of violating the rules, for fear you might have to do it again!

Personally, I think it should be feasible to build a system sufficiently secure to permit applicants to do the test at home. There has been a proposal languishing in FCC limbo for years now to allow VE testing with 2 VE's, at least one of which can be remote.

15. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Very good description of place and feel.;)