ad: Retevis-1

Amazon Alexa as a Shack Companion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0PSX, Nov 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did anyone notice the batteries cannot be easily removed from most every new Smart Phone?
    For those who use Facebook Messenger app, did you notice you cannot sign off without going into your App manager and deleting Facebook files?
    Now tell us again that they are not spying on everyone 24/7. Just realize they can and do watch you, your family children, grand children, friends in private situations.
    You don't think FB computer geeks watch young children in the nude? Today's youth never let's their phone out of their sight, and Facebook, Google, and a long list of alphabet agencies never let those young kids out of their sight.
    Talk about naive lemmings being led to slaughter.

W4HM and K9GLS like this.
  2. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

All i can say is the government has been trying to eavesdrop on people for decades and spending tens of billions of dollars to try and make it happen.
    But that pesky bill if rights kept getting in the way.
    Now they managed to dupe people into VOLUNTARILY buying their spy cameras and listening devices for them.

N8ZI and W3TWG like this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, let me get this straight... this post, actually ALL the posts in this thread come from a group of individuals that asked, the government, no, actually tested with the Federal government to be able to transmit radio signals from their house, car, etc. Willingly gave their their information (name, address, etc.), and were issued a callsign to identify themselves by others (and the government) - and placed transmitters in their homes?

This is the same group that's wigged out about Alexa?

Yep. NCIS had hams pegged.

I guess none of you have a phone or any sort (microphones), are on the Internet (oops), transmit on the ham bands giving your location away along with any information you care to share (oops again), or have ever used a cordless phone, baby monitor, GPS, cell phone, WiFi, or ordered a happy meal thru the drive thru an McDonald's. Somebody might be listening....

Wow.

W3TWG and N0TZU like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I don't think it's just a bunch of wacky hams that are concerned. Oh and if you don't make it to the part of the article "they won't do anything without your consent" just remember that when you blindly press "I accept these terms" without reading. Interesting conversation with Comcast a few months back. I was notified I HAD to upgrade my box because it was too old. Okay... it was all free. It came with a remote that you just talk to. I contacted Comcast with my concern. The gal on the other end verified that it does listen waiting for a command. SO again I asked... it listens to everything? Yes Sir, ready to react to a command. I canceled Comcast that day. Anyway I'm done with this. Sure it's all in our houses already but I'm not going to blindly invite more of it in just because I'm too lazy to turn a light on or look outside and see what the weather is. Just don't talk in your sleep.
    https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/20...you-say-and-might-share-that-with-developers/

N8ZI likes this.
  5. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Rather different...
    Sitting in front of a radio transmitting exactly what you intend to transmit,
    or,
    Going about your everyday affairs while some thing turns itself on at the whim of ??? and transmits ???
    Don't ya think?

N8ZI likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey all you hackers and government agents, I just ordered an Echo!! They are on special this week for $80.

No, it's not going in my shack.:(

7. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Robert (N0TZU):

It's odd, but I've received a "Please Relay" message for you. It was left on my doorstep and says...

"Robert - would you please put one Echo puck by your cat's bed and turn the small pinhole under the 'P' logo towards her? We think she's very cute!" (Signed) The Hackers and Government Agents Union

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There's always another herd upstream that you can't see.

:)

W5JPT and N0TZU like this.
  8. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How did you disable your cameras?

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Piece of tape over the lens - easy peasy. When I need it, I remove the tape - then put it back.

Dave
    W7UUU

10. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good answer :). I recommend gaffer tape as it doesn't leave residue and can be used multiple times. Or my fav https://supporters.eff.org/shop/laptop-camera-cover-set

11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I also use blue "painter's tape" for the same reason - no worry about residue - but I got the idea a few years ago from a colleague who uses Bandaids - he's the guy that first made me aware of potential snooping :)

Electrical tape works well if it's the 3M kind though

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  12. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Alexa, piece of garbage.

N3HOE likes this.
  13. N3HOE

N3HOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. "Secure" or not, it will ultimately be a direct pipeline to NSA, the FBI, and any other interested "official" party.
    Nope. Not in *my* house. No way.

14. WA4GW

WA4GW Ham Member QRZ Page

You do know the dot works in conjunction with the Alexa. Alexa for XYL Dot for KB8OTK. 73's KN4GUG

15. W6ERM

W6ERM Ham Member QRZ Page

Alexa...MAKE ME A SAMMICH.

WU8Y likes this.