ad: HamHats-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 91 - Bouvet Island DXpedition Update with K0IR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Nov 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern on Ham Talk Live!, Ralph Fedor, K0IR, will be back to give us an update on the Bouvet Island DXpedition that will be happening at the end of January. Ralph will take your questions LIVE on the show about this exciting journey!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button! If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand 24/7/365.25 also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

bouvet.jpg Bouvet-Island-2018_Logo_Island_133KB.png k0ir.jpg

AC7DD likes this.
  2. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to a 2m EME attempt! And maybe catch them on HF but my antennas there are marginal!

K3RW and AK5B like this.
  3. KA4ZZZ

KA4ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequency will they operate

4. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

My new 14 antenna EME array should suck them off the moon just fine.

WB2MJG and AA5AZ like this.
  5. W0AAT

I will have to make do with my 4x m2 2m12's LOL

N0IRS likes this.
  6. NF6E

NF6E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AC7DD and WB9VPG like this.
  7. W0AAT

Why in the heck do they plan to operate in the extra class band portion on most bands? If I was a General looking for them on SSB and donated I would want a refund!

N0IRS and W4DAF like this.
  8. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like on 40.... perhaps that's the only place they are allowed in that region?

9. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Their band plan lists where they will transmit. It's common for DX and DXpeditions to transmit outside the American General Class band, but receive inside the band. I can't promise that's what they'll do, but it's what I'd expect.

And btw, nice show, Neil!

AC7DD, N0IRS, K3TEF and 1 other person like this.
  10. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

They won’t be on air for another 6 weeks. That’s plenty of time to upgrade.

K3RW, W0AMT, N8GB and 5 others like this.
  11. AI6II

AI6II Ham Member QRZ Page

12. W0AAT

Not out where I live! And with my bad back I am not driving to MPLS to test, t hat is a 250+ mile round trip!

13. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear about your back. I’ve got lumbar fusion, myself. It was 225 miles each way for me to test, so went ahead and knocked out all three. It was a long day.

LA5HE likes this.
  14. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W0AAT I can't believe you'd ask that question if you'd ever had worked other RARE DXPdeitions as THEY ALWAYS PICK A OPERATING FREQ IN THE EXTRA PORTIONS AND ALWAYS LISTEN WAY UP!!! Don't worry OB THEY'LL TRY TO WORK EVERYBODY IN THE ADVANCED/GENERAL PARTS OF THE BAND!!!
    :) THEY'RE THERE TO WORK EVERYBODY IF THEY CAN!!!

15. W0AAT

I have worked others IN the general class portion with a 5-10kc split... not listen down in extra TX in general