ad: AbAuRe-1

All WX Solar Powered Field Station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

I missed your comment earlier and happened to catch it.
    You make the point perfectly!
    Any ham radio or ham radio club can put this kind of kit together, using what they have already. Especially the operator who finds him or herself in the disaster area.
    Thanks for your post, it's really awesome to see some operators actually actually get it.
    Big thanks :)
    Julian oh8stn

US7IGN likes this.
  2. OH8STN

Outstanding!
    Two sides of the same coin.
    Thanks for sharing your QRZ page. Pictures are amazing and it's awesome to see others operating from tents or improvised shelters.
    Will you participate in Winter Field Day this year?
    Julian oh8stn

3. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Videosbymike gave a nice 15% off bioenno batteries code in his video. Anyone know any coupon codes or a vendor for the 1,200 US dollar solar panel, that thing is so:eek: expensive. Appreciate all your info Julian! 73.

4. OH8STN

Absolutely great channel if you can't build something as simple as a battery by yourself.

5. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Hamradio360 has a recent podcast with bioenno manager for anyone interested in their technology and batt. chemistry unique to them.

OH8STN likes this.
  6. OH8STN

Actually that was the Field Radio Podcast, and a great episode. You can listen to that episode here. The battery chemistry is not unique to bioenno, it's lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4). Bioenno also has solar panels and charge controllers, one might employ in an all wx solar powered field station.
    Thanks for sharing
    Julian oh8stn

7. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Bioenno altering their electrolyte for a high discharge current is appealing to me. Let us know your battery total pack weight some day. It would be relevant to other folks pondering maybe a bioenno offering, Comparing to your discharge current/amp hour/weight/ to their offering since they attend USA hamfests and folks can ask them additional questions face to face. Great info all around.

8. OH8STN

I could keep dancing with you for a while and start picking apart all of the
    "Bioenno altering their electrolyte for a high discharge current"
    Marketing! Bioenno doesn't manufacture batteries, it packages them!
    Would be much better discussion if you stopped hiding behind your shill account.
    Julian oh8stn

CAMPDAVID likes this.
  9. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

A wood stove, ok it looks like you have it all figured out good job.
    Thanks for sharing. Wave_and_a_smile.jpg

OH8STN likes this.
  10. OH8STN

Thanks.
    To be honest I'm nervous about the Sleep System. Sleeping bag and bivi are okay, but I'm trying to find a solution for getting myself up off the ground without going ultimate bushcraft.
    I'm afraid if I screw this part up, your concerns will become true.
    Anyway, thanks for challenging my ideas.
    Julian oh8stn

N6QIC and KB1HQS like this.
  11. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you read some of the hiking/backpacking forums for ideas ? I don't typically log in there, some can be grouchier than here.

12. KB1HQS

KB1HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats
    When I lived in Maine these were the mats to use during the winter due to the cold temps ( I suspect somewhat similar to your climate).
    Increasing the R-valvue between you and the ground (big heat sink) is the way to go. I also use quilts instead of a sleeping bag.

Stu, KB1HQS

13. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice link, thanks for posting. It'll take me a month to go through all those products, though! Care to point out a particular mat that you used? And also, can you expound on the quilt v. bag concept? I've got a wisp of a down sleeping bag from Western Mountaineering that I think would be hard to beat for weight/warmth ratio.

Al

OH8STN and KB1HQS like this.
  14. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In our last trip http://www.us7ign.com/?p=958, the temperature was dropped to + 2C at night and UT3UFD was sleeping in a tent. In the morning he told us that he had not frozen because of a motorcycle jacket with protective inserts. First, there were not so rigidly lying on the ground, and secondly, the back and elbows were additionally well isolated from the cold ground. Sure, he slept on the mat and in the sleeping bag :)

OH8STN likes this.
  15. KB1HQS

KB1HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one of these: http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/downmat-xp-9-m

I sold it as I no longer live in a cold climate and have evolved off the ground into hammocks ;)

As far as quilts, the school of thought is that sleeping on top of down compresses it and provides very little insulation to keep you warm (hence the mat). Also, if your watching your total pack weight, a quilt is a lot lighter than a sleeping bag. And last, if you toss and turn around a lot, a quilt gives you more freedom to move about at night. I'm always trying to count down weight in my pack so I went the quilt route.

This is the model that I have: https://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-850dt-40-forest-black/

At 14 oz it's pretty incredible. Western Mountaineering makes some really nice bags as well. Go with what works best for you.

OH8STN and US7IGN like this.