ad: HamHats-1

New DIY Antenna Analyzer RigExpert AA-30.Zero(0.06 - 30MHz)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by UT0UN, Nov 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. UT0UN

UT0UN Ham Member QRZ Page

K8AI, KK6NOH, SV2EVS and 2 others like this.
  2. DG2MDJ

DG2MDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

KA2PTE and AG5DB like this.
  3. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought and built this antenna analyzer from Box73. The kit is really just final assembly, and it went together in about an hour. I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet, but it look like a great instrument. One negative, however, is that there's no way to connect it to a computer to do any fancy analysis. But, that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

4. W1PJE

W1PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI, we have been extensively using the Box73 analyzer and I highly recommend it for quality, calibrated results. It will not connect to a computer and has limited ability to save sweeps, but it's very handy and the measurements compare very favorably with a $$$$ Agilent FieldFox unit. (Comes with open/short/load cal kit!)

5. PU2OLT

PU2OLT Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KF2ZO

KF2ZO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video explaining the product and its capabilities. However, I find it odd to see the board nicely packed in Anti static bag is being unpacked and shown with hands without static straps! Not a good idea in locations where static electricity is prevalent. The board seems to have LSI chips sensitive to static and subject to damage if handled improperly.

7. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I agree, that is not a very good example to demonstrate the board in such a way. Be warned it happens so easily !. 73 de John G0WXU.

8. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Only problem, it looks like it's for un-balanced coax line only. Useless for balanced feeders or balanced antenn.

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

https://rigexpert.com/a-short-review-of-antenna-and-network-analyzers/
    Yes, this company likes to use resistive bridges for impedance measurement, which can provide good accuracy when measuring low SWRs.
    But, balanced feeders are typically run with high SWRs, so another technique would be advisable. One idea may be to use multiple power sensors at known locations feeding back data using some form of wireless communication. It is hardly new, but it may now be practical with advances in cheap wireless technology.

W1YW likes this.
  11. WA0TTN

WA0TTN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, what a neat little board! After doing a bit of research, it was clear that this thing is designed as an Arduino shield board. I've just ordered one and will install some long pin shield headers on it so that I can stack a TFT LED display on top. I've just been in the process of collecting the parts for the antenna analyzer in the November QST, but this thing does the same thing without having to scrounge up all the parts and build the PCB. What a bargain! And they provide the schematics, board diagrams, and even a tutorial on how to interface it to an Arduino and/or PC. Very cool!

12. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

13. UT0UN

UT0UN Ham Member QRZ Page

14. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

wish they made the one that covered 1296 as a kit like this!

And from reading the board can stand alone with a laptop computer and the included software to make measurements.

15. N6ALT

N6ALT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

Did you go any further with this project? I bought a AA-30.ZERO board about a year ago and other than doing some simple testing to see if it works I haven't done anything else. I have to admit, I'm waiting for somebody else to do something really cool with this and then share it with the world because I'm no coder.:(

Joel
    N6ALT