ad: HamHats-1

Force of Two: In Depth stories from 2 Puerto Rico volunteers on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Oct 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah.

Balanced projection of the truth would do just fine:)

K5WW likes this.
  2. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

The MOU is available here
    http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Public Service/MOUs/2016_01_06_MOU_ARRL_Red Cross_FINAL.pdf

4. Response Activities

a. National headquarters coordination: Operational coordination between Red Cross national headquarters and ARRL headquarters will occur through the primary points of contact as shown in Attachment A, Organization Contact Information or other officially designated staff. ​

b. Communications: Whenever there is a disaster requiring the use of amateur radio communications resources and/or facilities, the local Red Cross region or chapter may request the assistance of the local ARES organization responsible for the jurisdiction of the scene of the disaster. This assistance may include:
    • alert and mobilization of ARRL ARES® personnel in accordance with a prearranged plan;
    • establishment and maintenance of fixed, mobile, and portable station emergency communication facilities for local radio coverage;
    • point-to-point contact between Red Cross personnel and locations;
    • the maintenance of the continuity of communications for the duration of the emergency period until normal communications channels are substantially restored, or until radio communications are no longer necessary in support of the response to the disaster. ​

3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

CYA at all costs. Truth... we have a whole bunch of facts but we will never have the truth.

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the SHARES insider input. Rethinking about my last post, OTOH there isn't any value for SHARES to minimize reports of their contribution so why not go with their story. Yet the ARRL news release clearly states something significantly different, which is disturbing.

MOU's notwithstanding, for whatever reason a decision was made to pull the plug on "The Force" and apparently prematurely from the "customers" perspective. It wasn't for lack of willing and competent amateur radio human resources in the field.

I wonder if the rationale for mission termination will be ever be accurately, completely and / or truthfully revealed. Despite being in the era of "fake news" there ought to be no place for it in amateur radio EMCOMM.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    KG7LEA likes this.
  5. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I will continue to hope for a "lessons learned" and "what we will do better next time."

Do other ARES groups do after action reports? Email makes it very easy.

W1YW likes this.
  6. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be nice, truth, but when you have the faithful that see 'bashers' everywhere it won't happen soon.

Perhaps it's time for the emcomm contingent to separate from ARRL and form their own organization. If you don't think that's possible take a look at what some of
    the CW NTS guys did with Radio Relay International. ARRL has some problems of their own right now that don't look good for the future, read the latest EC
    minutes if you doubt it <http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Board Reports/2016/EC October 2017/Fall 2017 EC Minutes final.pdf> It's already
    late in the game and options should be considered.

7. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

And I thought I was the only one to mutter that this week.

8. NS0S

NS0S Ham Member QRZ Page

AI7PM likes this.
  9. NS0S

NS0S Ham Member QRZ Page

I know I personally used your modem. There was a second one in Florida and one in Cancun I used. The bands weren't always great. If it connected it would work for a few moments and drop off when the bands changed. Anyways, someone sent me a link to this forum. I saw your name and thought I would thank you for having a node for us to use. The Caribbean has zero nodes. You literally cover all those islands and the whole central east Atlantic. I imagine you get a bit of boat traffic too. Thanks for being able to set that up for people to use.

KX4O likes this.
  10. NS0S

NS0S Ham Member QRZ Page

That news release is from the same lady who lied multiple times to me and about other items. I believe the truth is in the ARRL story but it is spun to make it seem one one.

SHARES operators were sent to Puerto Rico to help fill the communications void for FEMA. The Red Cross sent us to help communicate for the Red Cross. Rouge members wanted to support FEMA and left us hanging at the Red Cross. Those member that were there for a PR campaign at FEMA raised their hands and said look at what I can do with my radio. FEMA responded that they have their own team that does that.

No hospital was replaced by SHARES operators that I was aware of. Not in the sense that I didnt leave my post until properly relieved. I am sure the SHARES member is on target with what they posted. I am actually a SHARES member too.

We weren't replaced by SHARES member. SHARES member who use some of the same technology we used came to Puerto Rico as we were leaving. They had a different mission.

KX4O, K5WW and AI7PM like this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jeremy, glad you joined the thread. Your explanations help to straighten out the conflicting info.

Still missing is a clear logical reason for the mission of The Force being ended so abruptly. It seems that despite other comms means being available like sat-fones (which as you said can have issues) there was still a serious demand from the hospitals for support from Mike and you and others, who were capable and willing to continue.

Despite other ARRL news reports saying they had asked for an extension, did the Red Cross tell ARES to cease ops? And why? Or was this a decision that came solely from within ARES HQ? If so was that related to the FEMA / SHARES "PR campaign"? As you and others said, those should be different missions. Any speculation would be illuminating but I understand the purpose of discretion too. I can just read between the lines harder.

In any case, I am glad you were there and able to do so much. I applied and was never contacted again after email acknowledgement, Your actions make me proud to be a radio amateur. Hope to meet or have a QSO with you some day.

73 de John WØPV

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    KX4O likes this.
  12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

This is disturbing. Apparently the ARRL electoral process gerrymandering is now spreading outside of my Southeast Division. (Sigh) Their recently published BoD / EC minutes indicate some potential major disruption too, but its unclear in what direction that is going.

AI7PM likes this.
  13. NS0S

NS0S Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know everything that happened in San Juan as I was pretty far away and disconnected. I heard from someone that was in San Juan that the Red Cross wanted to extend us. They said that Mike Corey came to the Red Cross HQ and had a meeting. There was some argument between him and them and they said we no longer will need you guys. I think Mike Corey was way out of his league. He came across like a elementary school kid. The red cross director had been through these kind of disasters a lot of times and knew what was going on. The red cross leadership was extremely professional when I dealt with them. They wanted to help people.

I do not know what it would take to extend our missions. I know they asked us all if we could stay longer. That was the initial plan. But, that changed. Mike Corey and a few other members never stayed with the Red Cross. They camped out at the FEMA headquarters.

I honestly think they were going to a party they weren't invited too.

Anyways, the Red Cross was our ticket down and who supported us. Without their support the ARRL wasnt going to pick up the tab. So, when the Red Cross said they were done we had to leave.

I felt bad about leaving the hospital. No power, phones, or anything. We just pulled the rug from under them.

We were sent there for a 21 day mission. That is a fact. They also asked us if we could stay longer. That is a fact. What happened while I was in Culebra is speculation based on what I was told after Mike Corey showed up. I know that guy messed some stuff up. I dont know exactly what all happened though.

KX4O, K5WW, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it important not to confuse leadership of the ARRL, with the ARRL. The ARRL is its members, and in nominal circumstances, the leadership executes their interests. But--

A) When economic times are very,very good (as now);
    B) When ham radio numbers in the US are at a new high, and continue to grow;
    C) When ARRL membership is on the DECLINE

You have a disconnect between the mission of the leadership and the apparent best interests of the membership. People vote with their pocketbooks, and many have left. There are no economic or population circumstances driving the decline in membership.

Now: how much of that is a result of the present leadership? Hard to say. Obviously they inherited a premise of mission that caters to an older demographic that is predominantly HF oriented. Most hams, now, are NOT "North of 60" and do not own or operate HF radios. They are public safety and prepper oriented. They use the internet. They don't need magazines or awards.

So, what DO they need that an organization can offer? That is constructively posed; the answers are not obvious and may be quite scary --they may want nothing from a national non-profit because they may not need them at all.

OTOH, many people drop membership when HF propagation stinks (as it does now) and then rejoin for the awards aspect when HF picks up. I know: I was one of them, before I became a life member in 2013.

The Red Cross MOU is an attempt to bring more public safety/prepper folks into the ARRL. IMO its been a little too self serving. Your opinion may differ. To me, it looks like it took a lot less effort on the part of the ARRL than they projected....either the effort was lacking or was actually done by the Red Cross and others.

IMO the ARRL has to project a more welcoming image rather than a MIB 'best of the best of the best' fantasy. ACTIVE training by the ARRL directly would be a great step.

It would be very interesting if Fred could give us sense of how QRZed memberships have gone in the last few years...that will tell you something about who joins what nowadays, in the internet era.

My opinions. Very interested in others.

Chip W1YW

KX4O and K9UR like this.
  15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job ..." o_O