ad: HamHats-1

FCC Releases 630m and 2200m Bands - Operators Must Register

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM4BLG, Sep 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2DPE

KD2DPE Ham Member QRZ Page

totally agree , don't know why decent radios are so expensive . Just went into hock for an icom 746d - now an trying to fing a good p/s for under $100 - retires and living on a pension AND all that rot ! Thanks for the info. . built a "J-Pole" antenna- seems to work good with my little Baofeng portable . any suggestions for a p/s ?

JZ11PWS likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's interesting that we keep seeing posts like this from hams in just about every call district, while there is another entire thread of guys who vociferously insist that "ham radio is more affordable than ever."

KM1H likes this.
  3. KN4OK

KN4OK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

wow here is my best rx thus far this morning.

1100 -25 -0.0 3.501416 0 WH2XXP DM33 37 1534

4. KN4OK

OK, I just got my DENIED but I was suggested to reapply for the "472-479" range only. This is very encouraging and I am doing it now.

5. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just got an approval letter for both bands from UTC.

Now to start building something!

6. KN4OK

Congrads! ;)

7. N5AF

N5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Just received an APPROVED for 472-479 here. I didn't apply for 2200m.

8. KN4OK

That's great that you got approved for the 472-479. I didn't really plan on operating on 2200m. It will be great to get to work everyone on the 472-479 band. I would suggest everyone else not to apply for the 2200m unless they really plan to operate on that band. 73

9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In 1987 a TS-940S was $2500+ dollars and then add inflation to get the price in today's dollars! A TS-590SG or FTDX1200 runs circles around the 940S I sold to by the 1200. Art

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Not heard a peep from the UTC folks. Good sign or bad sign?

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  11. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Before 30d, it's "no sign." After 30d, it's "good sign."

Does that help? ;)

K0OKS and W7UUU like this.
  12. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My email showed up this evening. No issues with using either of the bands from my location.

13. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

So are both granted and denied replies coming via email, or snail mail, or both?

14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Email - mine came today (Monday), on day 30 since I applied, post dated Friday 3 days ago, it looks like this,
    -----------------------------
    October 13, 2017

Dear John Rech (W0PV),

This notice is being provided to Approve your proposed amateur radio station in the 135.7 - 137.8 | 472.0 - 479.0 band(s) at the following coordinates: 27⁰ N 28’ 19.899999999999999”, 82⁰ W 36’ 8.3000000000000007”. UTC has determined that your proposed amateur radio station would not operate within a horizontal distance of one kilometer from a transmission line that conducts a power line carrier (PLC) signal in the 135.7 - 137.8 | 472.0 - 479.0 bands.

An amateur operator must not operate an amateur station if UTC responds that the proposed amateur station is located within 1 km of a transmission line with a PLC system that operates on the same frequency or frequency range. Amateur operators are advised that their operations within 1 km of a PLC system could cause interference to PLC systems that are used by electric utilities to protect their electric transmission systems against faults and electrical outages. Interference from amateur operations could affect the operation of PLC systems, thereby affecting the reliability of electric utility operations. As such, amateur operators are advised not to operate any amateur stations within 1 km of a transmission line with a PLC system that operates on the same frequency or frequency range, and amateur operators will be subject to FCC enforcement for unauthorized operations, as well as potential legal liability for damages that result from interference caused by amateur operations to PLC systems.

Please direct any questions to the undersigned.

Mike Etzel

Mike.Etzel@utc.org

202-833-6839
    --------------------------

Regarding the general message sent, recently on another Zed thread KQ6XA wrote:

The whole notion that UTC has the power to "APPROVE" or "NOT APPROVE" is wrong. Also, the UTC's email reply is self-serving, erroneous, and probably violates the FCC ruling.

They don't have the power to approve.

They have no force of law or rules to empower them to regulate ham radio.

Their email response tries to wrap themselves with the air of authority that they are not authorized to invoke:

"...amateur operators will be subject to FCC enforcement for unauthorized operations, as well as potential legal liability for damages that result from interference caused by amateur operations to PLC systems."

The UTC's only duty under the FCC rule is to notify the radio operator, upon request, if they are within 1 kilometer of a PLC powerline. Period.

There is no duty or cause for UTC to threaten licensed amateur radio operators with liability or enforcement.

Only the FCC can do that.

UTC is not a government agency.

UTC is really nothing more than a club which has members, similar to ARRL.

K2NCC likes this.
  15. WV3AZO

WV3AZO Ham Member QRZ Page

KC3DPX Is there a way to tell if your registration was accepted and approved or if you may operate within defined certain restrictions

73 Ron