ad: wmr-1

FCC Releases 630m and 2200m Bands - Operators Must Register

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM4BLG, Sep 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4HYJ

K4HYJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

According to Icom, the 7851 will transmit on 600m with a wideband modification - so will the 7100 and 7300.

W6MJS likes this.
  2. KM4JZJ

KM4JZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any radios made that will work these two new bands?

3. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Citation needed.... :)

Got a link?

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP-Labs sells components that you could use to get to 5W on either of those bands, and they sell the LPF kits for those bands as well. Their 5W PA module has everything needed for CW or FSK, and you just need to drive it with a DDS module run through an op-amp or single-FET amplifier stage.

Once you are at the 5W level, getting to just about any other power level should be very simple. Most switching FETs can do 500kHz without breaking a sweat. The LPF you use out of that stage could use the same values at the QRP-Labs LPF, it would just need somewhat beefier caps and inductors. ;)

I'm building an HF radio right now using their stuff for a large portion of the transmitter half.

5. WA3ETD

WA3ETD Ham Member QRZ Page

Elecraft K3 / K3S will receive and transmit on 630m with the KBPF3 option module.
    TX is low level and an amp would be needed...

6. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and antennas ?

W9SBE likes this.
  7. G4GCI

G4GCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great news about 630 and 2200m. I hope to hear some signals from across the Pond this winter then.
    I've been constructing a 630m station consisting of a QRP Labs Ultimate 3S tcvr kit for 630m for digital modes (WSPR and JT65) and a 300W amp by G0MRF. Total cost was probably under £200 ($260). I have a 40ft vertical wire up in a tree with a 50ft top. Ground system is elevated about 8ft up with a few radials and above all two tin sheds! Intention is to put the loading coil near the top of the vertical section. I have a similar arrangement for 160m and it works well into the States with 100W in Winter, so there's just a chance I can do it on 630m. Just building a variometer at the moment. I think the challenge is trying to tune the antenna. I haven't found an antenna analyser that works below 1MHz yet. Might take some time to get it all working efficiently.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds great Randall:)

These bands need additional RX/TXs than the HF/MF transceivers, but now you can be the band master on all of 'em:)

73 and best DX,
    Chip W1YW

9. K5URU

K5URU Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

11. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom 7300 specs - 0.030–74.800 mHz. I haven't heard much down there. I will be listening but i have no plans to transmit. Maybe DX Summit can add the band for spotting! If I hear anything I will send out reception reports like the SWL gang.
    AF4RK

12. KN4OK

KN4OK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

it is already on dx summit: look just below VUSHF for a title called LF and you will see the choices 137khz and 472khz. Hope to see ya on the band :)

13. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

if you just want to play around ,in addition to K3/K3s Some of the old communications type receivers like the yaesu FRGS go as low as 150khz and have SSB and CW ,For a transmitter you could use something like AA-908 amqrp "antenna analyst" . At that frequency you probably would want to build a PA for it. The real issue is the antenna , at frequencies that low your probably looking a loaded short vertical/L for best efficiency ,the ground losses for most of us will be horrendous .

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  14. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

NO SHIT.

15. KV4MO

KV4MO Ham Member QRZ Page

Randall,
    You could do all that google stuff - or- if you just click the detail tab on your QRZ page you will find both your lat long and your grid square. And it won't take more than 30 seconds.
    Patrick KV4MO