ad: Flexradio-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 80 - Hurricane Nets Live Update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Sep 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KM4ZJO

KM4ZJO Ham Member QRZ Page

Change of subject - I've been monitoring the HWN on 40m. There is an individual interfering with the directed net. They're talking over net control, starting arguments (which no-one should be responding to), and using profanity. Basically being a jerk, which normally isn't an issue, but they are interfering with an emergency communication channel. What can be done?

WU8Y likes this.
  2. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

If his call sign is India Delta 1 Oscar Tango do not respond to him

KF4ZKU and W1SRR like this.
  3. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck of a job, Brownie!

hahahahahahahahahahaha

W0HR likes this.
  4. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

It is indeed and also about communicating on Linked VHF/UHF Repeaters as is done on ECHOLINK,IRLP,DMR,C4FM, DSTAR Systems.
    EMCOMMS will use every mode and system to provide assistance.
    G3SEA/KH6

5. N6TCO

N6TCO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Emergency Frequencies - With Hurricane Irma approaching Florida, the Hurricane Watch Net is activated.
    In addition, SATERN has OUTBOUND Health and Welfare Nets activated.
    Hurricane Watch Net 14.325.00 MHz, 7.268.00 MHz
    SATERN 14.265 MHz,(1415-2300 UTC) 7.262 MHz(2300 - 0300 UTC)
    60 Meters may be in use by FEMA for Interoperable communications.

6. CHARLESJOHNY8

CHARLESJOHNY8 QRZ Member

7. W8CON

W8CON Ham Member QRZ Page

incorporate a blood alcohol lockout to the radioo_O I heard him on there too, what a wingnut!!!

8. KK4ITN

KK4ITN Ham Member QRZ Page

I listened to 7.268 on Saturday night with my grandson! Respectfully sir it was a disaster for ham radio! People were disrespectful by cussing and breaking in saying things better left unsaid. The language by one ham was so bad I just turned the hf rig off. This kept on for a fair amount of time. There were other stations interfering by using CW on the top of the net control. It became a real zoo. No station calls just very unkind language and behavior. I thought I was on channel 19 listening to road rage. Shame on them!

AK5B, KF4ZKU and W1SRR like this.
  9. NE2B

NE2B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I listened a little on Saturday and for a few hours on Sunday. I did hear some intentional interference with bad language, badgering and so on. I heard some of what might have been unintentional interference, sounds from a phone or computer, like maybe they left their VOX on. I also heard people calling in from outside the storm area when the net control specifically asked for people to call in from the affected area. What I noticed the most though was the professionalism of the net control operators. They were very efficient, kind, clear and seemingly undistracted by any of this. I was impressed. I've never participated in a net. The local nets near me are haphazard and the HF nets I've listened to seem only to be about getting those missing states. After listening this weekend to the hurricane net and the maritime mobile net which was different but equally as impressive, I think I may try participating in a directed net.

KF4ZKU, W1SRR and W8CON like this.
  10. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think what we all have to realize whether we like it or not is that radio equipment is sold to anyone with the $$$. When people are scared they will do stupid things- yes even those with a license. There is no "off" switch during an emergency like this where the "offending" individual can just be shut off. The best you can do is document it for future reporting, and carry on with the NET. If you can help just ONE person during the emergency then the NET in itself has done its job. Hats off to the controllers and those organizers you are unsung heroes. As for myself, I plan on getting my general and upgrading my equipment as I had no comms at all during the storm even though I did setup a J-pole for 2m/70cm. Once again, great job and as we say in the Navy "Bravo-Zulu!"

AK5B, KF4ZKU and NE2B like this.
  11. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah I was listening on 7.268 and this moron kept saying over the net control "There is no such thing as a directed net"!....And telling him that the net control was broadcasting and was transmitting illegally LOL...Where do these morons come from! Obviously they haven't been in Ham Radio very long! Guess this idiot on 7.268 don't realize that 2 meter nets are "directed nets"...You respond toward the net control!...It was also funny when the net control on the night I was listening asked if another station would take over for a few minutes and withing 5 minutes or so a station came back and said the station doing the interfering was (gave his name), and his call sign is XX*XXX (gave his call). When this other station did this and called him out, there was no more interfering!...Sounds like someone got caught. There is another call I have from a night I was listening to on 7.140 kept hounding another operator about this same when this other person was telling the group on the freq. that he was preparing for the hurricane and him being a net control operator. He kept telling the person he may as well throw his radio away because he and the hurricane nets are not helping anyone. Then other operators were saying this person from North Carolina (formerly from California) always has something to say and always has to open his mouth with negativity on EVERYTHING!....These people just need to tell the FCC that they want to turn over their license and have it deleted out of their system!...Why do people even get a license to just get on there and cause interference and get mad when it don't go their way! There are alot of these morons out on the airwaves that like to dictate what rules are and what they mean, but they don't follow them their selves!...These kinda people need to go back to their CB's....This is my opinion and i'm sticking to it!

12. KB8O

KB8O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what happens when you let people memorize the questions and answers then go take a test, no ?

Jay

13. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

No. How does a technical test weed out bad operators, people with drinking issues, people who develop mental problems later in life, etc.?

AK5B, WU8Y and W1SRR like this.
  14. KB8O

KB8O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So it's just a given that these people have a drinking problem, or a mental issue? Maybe I missed some factual information ...

15. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, probably not all inclusive, but how does a technical test for a license keep these folks off the air?

WU8Y likes this.