ad: ProAudio-1

Installing the Hustler 6BTV - From Start to Finish

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Sep 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Completely redid my install of the Hustler 6BTV and wanted to document it to explain the process to others that might be interested in experimenting with trap verticals.

This antenna is an excellent value in ham radio IMHO. Excellent quality, with just a bit of care during installation, you can have an excellent performing 1/4w vertical for many years to come.

What are you waiting for? Get on the air! ;)

73 from K5ACL / SignalSearch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

N8CMQ, N2NH, N2YGI and 1 other person like this.
  2. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice presentation. I notice you do not indicate the use of a Balun at the base of the antenna and in the shack to eliminate RF. I assume your radio equipment is well grounded and you have never had an issue. This is one of my concerns of the Hustler series which I have been considering. A $200 antenna can cost $500 after adding the mount, radial plate, pl259 attachment, radials, etc. I am making a tilt mount from aluminum u channel which a friend gave me and will put up a 5btv in the fall to try out. 73 and good DX!

KE0JJG, K3FHP and W5KV like this.
  3. AD0RM

AD0RM Ham Member QRZ Page

K5ACL Nice setup, well done! I'm especially impressed you used good old hand tools to dig a trench :) I have the exact same antenna, and like you, get all over the world with it. Since mine involved about 150 feet of trench, I used a machine for that.

To answer NI4TG, I don't use a Balun for this antenna. Never had any RF issues in the shack, but I did put a lot of effort into a good ground system. See my QRZ page for some pictures if you're interested.

Barthold
    AD0RM

K3FHP and W5KV like this.
  4. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you! I've never used a balun or vertical feedline choke of any kind on the Hustler. Never had any RF in the shack issues. I just realized I didn't even mention the exact number of radials I threw on there which was 32. I have to keep my shack on the second floor, so I've found it somewhat of a challenge to ground properly TBH. I won't be in this shack situation for long though :)

Yes the fold over mount, and radial plate do add to the cost, but the convenience (and I must say they do look quite beautiful) and durability are what drove me to DXE's Hustler add-ons which are just awesome.

Good luck with your BTV project, and let me know how it goes :)

My back is a bit sore today, but nothing an ice cold one (TGIF btw) won't remedy ;) I'm excited to put this thing to use.

150ft? Oh yes... trench digger would be a must, lol & thank you!

5. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a blog entry on setup, and tuning of the 6BTV here. The notes cover install, hole, and tuneup of the 6BTV.

6. AD0RM

AD0RM Ham Member QRZ Page

> I have to keep my shack on the second floor, so I've found it somewhat of a challenge to ground properly TBH.

K5ACL, I am in the same situation, my shack ground is 40-50 feet away from my ground rods. See my QRZ page on how I solved it.

One suggestion, put some guy lines on your antenna. I bought the extra strong 6 ft aluminum (forgot the exact length) replacement for the bottom part of the antenna from DX Engineering, which works beautifully. But still I managed to bend my Hustler, just a bit higher up, in high winds.

Barthold
    AD0RM

7. N1EEK

N1EEK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KA5ACL,
    Job well done, nice posting! That video should make anyone thinking about setting up a Hustler trapped vertical feel a lot more confident about their likely outcome.

I've had a 5BTV for about two and a half years and really enjoy the way it performs even without a rotor (hihi). You're absolutely right about the DXE tilt plate making life a lot easier. I set a couple of 4x4 posts in the ground so that when the antenna is tilted down it's supported along its length. I didn't bother with the radial plate as my QTH is almost an IOTA and the soil is clay saturated with salt water and then sea water all around so I don't use any radials on mine.
    I did wimp out and rent a Ditch Witch as I had about 100+ feet of conduit to bury and it was so much cheaper than an MRI and a hospital stay, some wisdom really does come with age...
    The guy lines are also a really good suggestion, the DXE screw anchor kit and guy rings the solved that problem here very nicely. We get high winds on occasion and have never had an issue even during our famous nor'easters. Three of the anchors are out of the way in the marsh but the one anchor that actually goes into the lawn got some special treatment. I bought a 16" round rubber "stepping stone" at a garden center and using a hole saw cut a 3" hole in the middle of it, then placed it around the top of the anchor. Now when I weed whack and mow the lawn I don't have to worry about hitting the line or anchor.
    The BTV can also be easily modified to add WARC bands, I hacked together some clamp on radiators for 12 and 17 and they work really well so you can get lots of band coverage with just a small footprint. I only work barefoot or QRP and I've never had any RF issues in the shack yet I've managed to work over 100 DXCC's QRP with this skinny beastie so I guess I'd rather be lucky than good. Only problem is it just doesn't look all that impressive on the QRZ page compared to a hundred foot tower. Oh well...
    Anyway, congratulations on a successful refurb and a good video and hope you get many more years of good DX with your BTV! Here's to more sun spots!!
    Rob
    N1EEK

W5KV likes this.
  8. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

So we see a vertical antenna with 32 radials on or under the ground. Can one install a vertical antenna on a roof top with the radials placed on the roof? I have never seen it discussed, so me thinks it's not a good idea...

K3RW and W5KV like this.
  9. W0AZZ

W0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video! I am planning to buy and install the same antenna next month. How did it do during hurricane Harvey? I have relatives in the Oak Hill area that said they received nearly 10 inches of rain in 2 days...crazy!

W5KV likes this.
  10. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, if you put it on the roof they recommend 4 tuned radials for each band making it a ground plane antenna. I had mine in the center of an aluminum roof.

W5KV likes this.
  11. K7VNE

K7VNE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video but I have a question other than that pertaining to the Hustler...I would like to know what program or web site
    you used to obtain your signal reports? I use PSKreporter but, they have been experiencing some reliability problems lately and
    I would like to have a back up.

K7VNE

W5KV likes this.
  12. W7TNA

W7TNA Ham Member QRZ Page

I put in a 5BTV.
    Look at my pictures W7TNA on QRZ it works great and may be another option if you live in a dry area.

13. DU3LA

DU3LA Ham Member QRZ Page

They are called elevated radials and they will have to be cut to resonate for each band.
    Elevated verticals work very well!

W5KV likes this.
  14. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

One great idea I saw to save space with resonant elevated radials is to use zip cord (speaker wire) and trim one of the two wires for one band, and cut the 2nd wire for another band. You can get away with having fewer wires sticking out that way, because two are connected at the feedpoint, and stuck together, yet separated all of the way down.

K3RW and W5KV like this.
  15. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like WSPR to me.

W5KV likes this.