ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL Gets Airtime from PBS NOVA / Newshour During Eclipse

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK0NIG, Aug 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK0NIG

KK0NIG Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the opportunity to provide the eclipse feed for the PBS NOVA/Newshour Facebook live broadcast on Monday. The broadcast included mention by Miles O'Brien of ARRL and the propagation experiments conducted during the eclipse.

You can watch the broadcast here: bit.ly/EclipsePBS

DiamondRing.jpg

PromCorona.jpg

KKØNIG

Kris Koenig
    Filmmaker
    ARRL PIO

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    AG5IX, NK9Y, WM9F and 2 others like this.
  2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like you were in an excellent location to catch some Baily's beads in your video, just before totality.
    What were your coordinates?
    Were you near Irwin, Idaho?
    Great work and promotion, Kris!

We traveled to an observation site slightly south of the center-line of totality, specifically to experience and photograph Baily's Beads.
    While Baily's beads are seen briefly for a few seconds at the center of the eclipse path, their duration is maximized near the edges of the path of the umbra.

[​IMG]
    Baily's Beads captured at the delicate moment before totality. Solar Eclipse on 21 August 2017. Time 17:25:21 UTC. Location: Ontario Oregon coordinates 44.022631, -116.949764. Equipment: Orion 80mm telescope, 4x barlow lens, Sony a300 camera at 1/80 sec exposure, Celestron AVX equatorial mount. Photo by B.Crystal and J.Stevens.

3. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Beautiful shot Bonnie! Was at Grand Island, Nebraska, with long totality and saw the photosphere at the end though noticed no beads in the moment before the second Diamond Ring. Now that makes sense, given your explanation. It was quite a show, reminding us how much bigger the universe is than our own concerns.

KQ6XA likes this.
  4. N6RLS

N6RLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure other Hams also tipped Miles to our efforts during the eclipse...
    Tweet-N6RLS-re the eclipse and hams.JPG

5. N6RLS

N6RLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL/Hams mention comes just after the point of totality - at 1:34:40 in on the replay.

6. KK0NIG

Bonnie

The broadcast originate in Irwin next to Lake Palisades. Yes, I did image Baily's and the diamond ring as you can see above. Nice work on your image. Thank you for your kind words.

KKØNIG

Kris

KQ6XA likes this.
  7. VE5GF

VE5GF Ham Member QRZ Page

Up here in VE5 we saw nothing much of the eclipse. Hope to make it to see the next one because these pics are incredible!

8. NR2V

NR2V Ham Member QRZ Page

Great shots... up here in northern NY State only had a partial eclipse but in seven years I will be in center of totality.... can't wait....

VE5GF likes this.
  9. KV5E

KV5E Ham Member QRZ Page

From Stapleton Nebraska:

[​IMG]

1642 miles driven and this is an experience that should never be missed if you have an chance to view!

Craig

10. AB0BW

AB0BW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was in Aurora, NE, conditions were not the best for sharp photography...

11. KK0NIG

Nice shot!

12. KK0NIG

13. KV5E

KV5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! Nebraska was fantastic for the eclipse!

The folks in Logan County had it down and handled the 6000+ crowd with aplomb. I knew there would be some high cirrus clouds, but they moved away from Totality like Magic! Drove on US highways 287 and US 83 from DFW, a great route with plenty of gas, corn fields, and feeder lots:eek:.

Craig KV5E