ad: M2Ant-1

Reviewing the Elad FDM S2 Software Defined Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Finally had some time to sit down and talk about this fine SDR receiver from Elad.

The Elad FDM S2 is a Software Defined Radio receiver designed for HF-6m & a portion of the VHF band.

With the capability of using multiple receivers, a 16-bit ADC, top of the line hardware, and the variety of software packages you can pair this up with? A top of the line choice no doubt.

Thanks for watching!

73 from K5ACL/SignalSearch

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

They offer a small QRP unit as well, there is a defect in the rig, when you TX and the fan comes on, the fan induces EMF energy into the audio circuit. Did this test with two units same results, horrible noise very dirty. Unit has a limited 3950Hz bandwidth on TX max as well. Extremely limited.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

This used to be a receiver only, has it changed?

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Aren't you thinking the Elad Duo?

5. W5KV

Yes, he's probably referencing the Duo. Which was another unit I strongly considered before getting my KX3. That's a shame about the fan I had not heard about that up until now.

Also found out that the Duo will not interface with SDR Console recently... bummer.

But then again the Flex 3000 I had wouldn't interface with anything else but PowerSDR which I wasn't a big fan of either...

6. PP8DA

PP8DA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice report, nice recption to, tks de PP8DA

W5KV likes this.
  7. N5ARE

N5ARE Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool review. I have a regular SDR that I've been trying to trick into liking HF.. looks like somebody else had a better idea.

Though the Youtube preview frame kinda looks like you're promoting some club-thumper EDM album :)

THIS IS DEEEJAY EEELAAAAAAAAAD (vicious bass drop)

KA0KA and W5KV like this.
  8. W5KV

Thanks. I just lost the coffee in my mouth. :p lol

KA0KA likes this.
  9. KJ6YXI

KJ6YXI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent Review of the Elad SDR. PS. I love you dropping the beats. I am a strong proponent of the SDR Radios and the UNBELIEVABLE clarity of audio. I can tell you first hand that ELAD is an excellent radio. In my opinion when comparing with other, much more expensive SDR radios it tops the Charts. I personally own an operate the ELAD FDM-DUO SDR. The receiver is also QRP, but it is a stand alone system that also allows for 8 additional slices or receivers. The Software is very user friendly, the pan adapter is lovely to use. If you ever get a chance please visit my short youtube video and or check out David Kennet W8KFJ for a more extensive breakdown of the radio. Cheers

W5KV likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

How the heck can a receiver be QRP? Was that a typo for "transceiver?"

VU2YUU likes this.
  11. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I think he was referring to the fact that as a stand alone unit, the receiver in the Duo does not offer all the bells and whistles that are normally available when connected to a computer using the Elad software.

W5KV likes this.
  12. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just finished a PC that is running an iCORE7 4GHz, SSD, 16GB, 4-port video card and Gigabyte MB. It is an a 2RU server case, I am running HDSDR and the CPU is at 1% or less lol. LOVING HDSDR, a bit tricky to setup with everything being variable. But I am looking at my RF out of the amp. Had to lock the LO and TUNE, then put in a 25kHz offset. That ensured the DC highpass filter would not intermix with any signal I tune to!!! I got two 32" curved monitors and the graphics are off the chart. RBW I have near 1Hz to 9Hz on waterfall.

W5KV likes this.
  13. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

HDSDR is an excellent SDR console. It lost some of its shine because it does one thing, and one thing only, but very well. It's my recommended console for those starting out with SDRs. It's also very light on computer resources, compared to other consoles.

I also use SDR# and SDR-Console, both excellent, they offer additional features not available in HDSDR.

W5KV likes this.
  14. W5KV

Nice! I'm still running on a 9 year old PC that's been upgraded through the years, i7, 920 chip, Nvidia 750ti, nothing special, but works rock solid for every SDR application i've thrown at it.

15. N5ARE

N5ARE Ham Member QRZ Page

Less than 5 watts of RF preamp? Hah