ad: M2Ant-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 105

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jun 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

foundations-of-amateur-radio_300.jpg

Is the ideal antenna round? This week I look at an antenna from a user experience perspective and discuss what kinds of things go into making an antenna "fun to use".

Foundations of Amateur Radio is a weekly podcast about the amazing hobby of Amateur or Ham Radio. You can listen on-line, on-demand and even on-air. For your personal copy, visit iTunes and search for my callsign, VK6FLAB, or visit the website http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/foundations/ and scroll to the bottom for the current episode.

Onno VK6FLAB

2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie,

What the heck is he talking about?

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like another AlexLoop commercial.

I like STLs. I think they are great antennas. They are even better if they are carefully home-brewed, to maximize performance on the bands preferred by the builder. I'm also very happy that so many people are "discovering" the STL, even if some of the designs they are trying are not optimal. The STL has a great potential to get/keep a lot of people on the air without need for towers, permits, or even outdoor antennas at all.

That said, I don't understand why every few "news" articles on QRZ is about the AlexLoop. No matter how great it is, it's not "news" and hasn't been for a very long time. It's a nice piece of kit, but it's quite overpriced for its specs, and its main feature is convenience, by keeping the user from having to build an STL from scratch.

I'm glad there are fans of AlexLoop, and STLs in general. But it's time to get back to actual "news" in the "News" section of QRZ, please. :)

AF7EC, KB9VCA, W9RLG and 2 others like this.
  5. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pleased that it only looks like it, since it isn't one. I didn't purchase it, I have it on loan from a friend and I was amazed to find an antenna that actually matched the user interface of turning the VFO and having a matching movement in the adjustment of the antenna.

I have no idea if it's value for money, since I didn't ask how much it cost, nor can I compare it to a home-brew loop, since the one I built never quite made it to the point of usability, despite my best efforts.

Thanks for listening to the podcast. 73 de Onno VK6FLAB

W7SJP likes this.
  6. KK5JY

I guess that means you are part of AL's target audience. ;)
    I'm glad you enjoyed using the STL. In general, they are very cool antennas.

W7SJP and VK6FLAB like this.
  7. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to ,lately that's all there has ben in the new here, is advertisements for some gimmick or other and nothing that is news worthy.

Bob

KK5JY likes this.
  8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The advertising for antennas like this, the Chameleon, etc. Can lead astray hose who know no better. Yes, they can be very effective if used properly but a 3 foot loop on 7mhz yields 5% efficiency at best and lower frequencies even worse. Yes, you may make a contact.....contacts have been made on dummy loads with 20ft of coax, but I wouldn't advertise one as a miracle compact antenna. And at these prices.......certainly makes the MFJ remote tune loop for 10mhz up look like a bargain(no advertisement intended, don't own one ).

KR3DX and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  9. KK5JY

It is interesting that ham use of STLs is somewhat different than those of other services, like military or maritime mobile HF. The roughly two octave range of most STLs is about right for services whose common operational range is, say, 4 to 16MHz (one octave either side of 8MHz). The maritime folks still have HF gear on 2MHz, but the losses from dropping that extra octave might not be a big deal when the loop is mounted on a weather deck over salt water.

The 3ft loop is fine for the upper half of the HF spectrum, but for operation on the lower bands, you do need a somewhat larger loop conductor.

OH2FFY likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In the broadcast business STL means Studio transmitter link. For HF I use the diamond shaped rhombic, but they take about 6 or 7 acres per antenna and I have 3 of them up.

AC7DD, KA0KA and AF4RK like this.
  11. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our company sells a small transmitting loop and owners of it are happy but I would never use QRZ news as a cheap source of advertising. I might post an announcement for a new product from us or a worthwhile update perhaps but that kind of thing is in line with the common practice of any company announcing its products or services and could be considered newsworthy in the hobby. But other than that, my idea of ham radio news is things such as the world flight of wb6rqn, or a major FCC action, or other news of interest :)

KR3DX, W1YW, K2NCC and 1 other person like this.
  12. PY1AHD/SK2024

PY1AHD/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorry my friend but I - PY1AHD ALEX - Alexandre Grimberg Portable Magnetic Loop Antenna
    creator (after 12 years of hard work) would like to inform that I am probably the lonely one
    manufacturer that do not take marketing advantage from "infomercials".
    All AlexLoop Youtube videos, reviews on magazines and posts from hams around the world was made spontaneously.
    http://www.alexloop.com/clippings.html
    PY1AHD ALEX
    Alexandre Grimberg

W1YW likes this.
  13. PY1AHD/SK2024

PY1AHD/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorry my friend but I - PY1AHD ALEX - Alexandre Grimberg Portable Magnetic Loop Antenna
    creator (after 12 years of hard work) would like to inform that I am probably the lonely one
    manufacturer that do not take marketing advantage from "infomercials".
    All AlexLoop Youtube videos, reviews on magazines and posts from hams around the world was made spontaneously.
    http://www.alexloop.com/clippings.html
    PY1AHD ALEX
    Alexandre Grimberg

K7LZR likes this.
  14. KK5JY

Sure... and there are plenty of places on QRZ forums that you can post things about products you are working on, for people who are interested in some cheap advertising. But like you say, the News section should be for news.

Okay, that's good to know. My complaint was that such things, regardless of their source, don't belong in the "news" section of the forums. I'm sorry you felt like you were being personally criticized.

K7LZR likes this.
  15. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an idea.....How about a specific section on QRZ for new product announcements like in QST? Perhaps with a small slideshow of thumbnail images on the QRZ front page so that a person could see the new stuff and click on any which they find interesting :). Is there already something like that here?

KF4ZKU, K2NCC, K9PLG and 1 other person like this.