ad: CQMM-1

Pine Board Project continues on Ham Nation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Jun 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9EID/SK2024

K9EID/SK2024 QRZ Lifetime Member #477 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks for those great memories, Whitey and yes, Ham Radio is still fun. We are having lots more fun bringing more fellows and gals into building. There just isn't enough of the true 'Elmer' spirit and we are hoping this Pine Board Project will help that along. Please stay in touch and join us with your soldering iron

W7UUU likes this.
  2. ZL1API

ZL1API Ham Member QRZ Page

I to came up the old way,my first transmitter was made with 2 radio valves (triode hexode mixers), one for the xtal oscillator and final the other mike preamp and modulator. I still use a field strength meter and no swr, its the rf that comes of the wire that counts.
    Look forward to working you all .
    73s John

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  3. K1VV/SK2023

K1VV/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob ....Thanks ... I have not seen you for years ... the last time was at a YCCC meeting years ago ... these one tube oscillators are so easy to build everyone should try it. We have a video of the 4 Watter on YOUTUBE ... Everyone should experience the kick you get from communicating with something that YOU BUILT ... click the link

We put together another 4 Watter a few years ago ... we have used it on SKN a few times ...
    Whitey K1VV
    W1AA Marconi Radio Club

4. K9EID/SK2024

That is all just very super, Whitey. Yes, I wanted to get some of the new licensee as well as some of the aged to pick up a soldering iron. Never thought we could muster this kind of response. Please stay in touch. Your thoughts, ideas and help will be appreciated. I do hope you are following the Ham Nation Pine Board Project. You can see all of the wonderful graphics that one of the audience participants is doing for the project and just the 10 to 12 minute weekly clips at the bottom of the Amateur Radio section of www.heilsound.com. Stay in touch
    Bob Heil, K9EID

5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how many of these will show up on the southern AM nets on low power night? Bob, it would be great to have a net of just these pine board rigs at some point. Build one and join melee. Of course, this is why they leave serious thought to adults and not me...

6. K9EID/SK2024

That is a great question and one that may lead to the lP AM nets hearing some of these. there is already a few guys
    looking forward to completing one of the jewels and having a 'Pine Board' net. Stay tuned.

7. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree 110% with KY5U idea of having their own net, a net where listening will be a big deal!
    Also many thanks Bob for giving back in this fashion.

Doug
    N5DMC

8. K9ING

K9ING Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my novice in June of '57 as kn9ing at age 13 in Centralia, Il, abt 45 mi east of K9eid. Ran an arc 5 command rig and cut a 40m flattop by the formula, had never heard of swr, pi network loaded it fine but was hot with rf around shack (no gnd either). Highest sfi ever and lots of sun spots, but was unaware-thought that's the way it always was. Never built on wood, but when got General later that year, built a modulator on a shiny, new bud chassis and punched holes for the tube sockets (6l6s?) with help of my Elmer w9sbk (sk). Those were some heady days for a teenage kid and, yes, we were pioneers in the golden years of ham radio. Had more fun with arc 5 and bc312 rcvr than with the Collins S line I ran for 30+ years. Shame kids today are jaded with the internet and smart phones and won't experience the thrill of building some glowing tube rig and a putting up a wire, then talking on a key to someone across the country in the wee hours of the night. 73 and hope you too have the same fond memories of days gone by. Bob, K9ING

9. N4JGO

N4JGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Bob
    Everything about the Pine Board QRP AM Project is awesome. It opens the door for so many other possibilities, almost to many to mention on this thread.
    Like some, I am faithfully following along with the pace that you have established, but have taken the scrapheap approach.
    I am set on using surplus parts that I have collected over the years. My goal is to have a working QRP unit for "zero dollars". I am defending the value of my surplus junk and the space it takes up. :)
    I decided to use engineered hardwood pieces that were from a home project. I now can snap the pieces together for one big board. I have posted a few pictures on the bottom of my QRZ page.
    AMers are far and few in this area so I will probably will never talk to anyone on it, but I will enjoy listen to myself while adjusting the 2 band EQ.
    Thanks for sharing your time and talent.. your friend in Virginia

10. N0MBK

N0MBK Ham Member QRZ Page

I love it will be building one this winter have the most of the stuff laying around be looking for tube sockets thanks for doing this it will I think make better hams .

11. K9EID/SK2024

That will be super. Get the iron hot and join the fun. Tube sockets - and actually everything else are very easy to find Antique Electronics Supply.... have the kits all set up. Please visit the Pine Board project at www.heilsound.com. Lots of nice drawings, schematics and pictures there as well as the January 2018 QST. It is the featured cover story.

Stay in touch

WU8Y and KC8VWM like this.