ad: chuckmartin

Testing The New Military 2.0 Multiband Tuner Free HF Alpha Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4CPR, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD5QHB

KD5QHB Ham Member QRZ Page

Y'all some groutchy old turds. I wonder where the "we are losing numbers in the ham community " articles come from!!! Just about everyone who attempts to post something on here are attacked by a bunch of old sharks!!! No wonder our number are dwindling!!!

W6NYA and AF6TC like this.
  2. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong, The number of hams is higher than ever. However, the reason being is no code and tests a 3 year old could pass. On the bright side, the ARRL sells their ad infested magazine to more people. But, what will they try next time their numbers slide? No license entry mode?

VK6APZ/SK2022 and K3FHP like this.
  3. KD5QHB

Again I reiterate, every time someone post something on here an old shark, with modern technology, downs a statement someone else makes. Really, no code, but you state it on modern technology which you down due to the no code?

4. KD5QHB

I just wish we can be an all inclusive club and work toward a common denominator without all the negativity that seems to be coming from every where!!!

W6NYA likes this.
  5. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I purchased this antenna and have used it in the field on a tripod from east San Diego county, and as a base antenna at my home in Redlands, Ca., clamped to the roof of my wife's tough shed. I love this antenna. Easy to set up and take down and it performs as advertised. SWR is good on all bands although I use my transceiver' internal tuner to sharpen things up a bit more. Multiple contacts on 20-40- meters so far. Not across the world but certainly no issue with Hawaii/Cont US/Alaska so far.
    As a field antenna or something for a cramped QTH I recommend it.

(And Mike--I enjoy your videos---)

Jim
    W6NYA

6. KK4KHS

KK4KHS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

which video do you demonstrate 80 meters using the Alpha match?

K4AGO and N2EY like this.
  7. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Jim,

Thank you for watching my videos. Glad to hear that the antenna is working for you out in San Diego County Ca. The antenna is easy to setup and it does work as advertised. My SWR readings have been 1.5-1 on all the bands from 80-10 meters that I have keyed up on which is better then the results on the company website so I am very happy with those results. I look forward to having a QSO with you someday.

W6NYA likes this.
  8. W6NYA

Your welcome Mike. I have a lot of hobbies, and I know what its like to put one of these videos together. I generally have no issue with the critics, esp if they have actually tried the product and want to give their input on their actual experience with it. This antenna does what it says it will do. Its not the best, its not the worst. It has real value in the right QTH. I really like it. The only thing I would change is I would recomment upgrading to the heavier duty tripod in the field. The reg tripod works, and I left it up overnight in the field in about 30-35 mpg winds and it stayed up, but its lightweight mfg suggests it will eventually fail with a lot of use. Of course any tripod could be adapted for it using the supplied jaw clamp, so not a huge issue. There are plenty of scenarios to mount this gear.

I'll never have an 80 foot tower or some big beautiful antenna (much as Id love to). This one serves its purpose for me, along with couple of others I have in the back yard, lol.

Jim
    W6NYA

9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Watched portions of the video. Thanks for doing it, but references to guns, ammo and "prepping" ?

Then more references to a "directional" antenna? It's a vertical! I quit watching much past the reference to NVIS and the product placement adverts.

It's pretty well known that almost any antenna works, and most work much better in close proximity to salt water. It's also a fairly well known fact that all purpose all-band antennas will work OK at times, but usually well below what a good resonant antenna will do. Others here have already pointed that out and they're correct.

K4AGO, KU4X and N2EY like this.
  10. W6NYA

Im no expert, but I think the reference to "directional" has to do with the optional orientation of the nvis wire. I have noticed it is "directional" from results of extending the wire out in different directions.

When using it without the nvis wire, the "directionality" is obviously gone.

Again, it is what it is. Its going to be the right fit for some, not for others. Im still waiting for that "perfect" antenna at any price, lol.

Jim
    W6NYA

11. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not a negative, curmudgeon-like attitude.

It's an honest discussion of a $400 antenna system.

It's easy to say something works great. What's more important is how well it works compared to something else.

There were plenty of testimonials for the Gotham Vertical. And the Maxxcom Matcher did everything the ads promised.

K4AGO likes this.
  12. W6NYA

I think the most "honest" discussions about gear are the ones between people who have actually used it or can contribute some quantifiable input.
    I don't think the point of Mike's video was to compare the antenna to "anything else" but to demonstrate the antenna and its use in the field. There are a TON of variables we consider when we choose an antenna and every choice we make is a compromise, no matter what antenna we choose.

Jim
    W6NYA

13. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I liked @K0BG's thoughts on that subject, particularly with respect to comparing mobile antennas: http://www.k0bg.com/shootout.html
    Bottom line -- comparing mobile antennas is ... complicated. :)

14. KF7WMM

KF7WMM Ham Member QRZ Page

15. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not me. I don't want those people on the air spewing their poison. Do you really want to turn on your rig and hear them? They would ruin everything! Thank God we have exams to ensure that only the right people can participate. AR

K4AGO and W6NYA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.