ad: M2Ant-1

NOAA and the RF-Seismograph Team predict massive Sporadic E propagation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, May 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Everybody;

Yesterdays massive Sporadic E event was triggered by a step incline of coronal mass ejection that hit Earth. The time of the of the impact was predicted by NOAA,s Solar Wind Prediction Center.
    The development team at the RF-Seismograph was aware of the impact and the time it would happen.

"We made sure the RF-Seismograph was running and working, because we did not want to miss this opportunity"; says Alex (VE7DXW).

Some of the member of the MDSR team where hunting on 6m and we manged to get 12 QSOs during the event that lasted for more than 6h.

Thanks to the e-mail notification that we sent out to the HAM operators on our mailing list hundreds of stations turned on their rigs and had a blast!

for more info go to: http://users.skynet.be/myspace/mdsr/

We will keep our ears open for more of these events;

All the best and 73;

The MDSR Team
    Alex - VE7DXW

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

KN4DIG likes this.
  2. WA5DM

WA5DM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have thought that a coronal mass ejection (CME) would have caused a blackout

VE7DXW likes this.
  3. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not on 6m! Anytime those e clouds are disturbed, the chances go up!

KC1FUU, VE7DXW, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  4. KC0IVY

KC0IVY Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess I will have to put my antenna back up. Maybe I can put it above the 20m
    dipole I took it down to make room for..

VE7DXW likes this.
  5. VU2DSI

VU2DSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Please send me e-mail notification about your predictions.
    My e-mail address-- vu2dsi@gmail.com.
    Please.
    Regards. 73.
    VU2DSI
    DATTA

VE7DXW likes this.
  6. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

There was no CME yesterday, just an increase in the solar wind. And 6 meter E-skip seems to be more tied to thunderstorm activity than anything else I have seen over the years.

VE7DXW, AK5B, WR2E and 2 others like this.
  7. VE7DXW

Hi Datta and Everyone;

The easiest way to get on our mailing list is to sign up for the Yahoo user group;

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mdsradio/info

The other and possible better option would be to set up your own RF-Seismograph monitoring station. Join the Yahoo group and find out how easy it is to become a monitoring station.

All the best and thank you for the support;

Alex - VE7DXW

8. VE7DXW

Hi Mary and Everyone;

You are right! There was no CME yesterday... but a steep increase of the plasma density hitting the earth. In matter of fact it was one of the steepest increase I have seen since I have been tracking the plasma flow coming from the sun. The swirls around the center are the plasma streams coming from the sun. There are 3 dots that represent two satellites and the green dot is our planet.
    You can find the WSA-ENLIL Solar Wind Prediction tool at this link:
    http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/wsa-enlil-solar-wind-prediction

I also do believe that thunderstorms cause E-Skip. See picture below:

[​IMG]

All the best and happy DX!

Alex - VE7DXW

9. K4UFT

K4UFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope this is a good omen for a good summer E season this year. Been operating Six since 1958.
    As an old friend used to say:
    "Spring is sprung, the grass is riz. I wonder where the E-Skip is."

Ted - K4UFT - EM84uu

VE7DXW and AK5B like this.
  10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Great 50 Mhz opening yesterday from FL toward northwest. Lots of double-hop Spor E. Worked WCFL <> Pac NW coast several QSO's, maybe a new grid or two.

No big QRO or tower here yet, only 100w and 5 el Yagi on a tube mast at about 25 ft AGL w/ RS TV rotor.

Band open again this evening, but differently so far. More widespread. Started with TX, then New England and south Canada, moved mid-west. Worked my pal WØZR in MN.

Also worked PV8DX probably trans-equatorial prop. Lotsa others did too.

It's the season - get OTA with the Magic Band :D !!!

73 de John - WØPV

KC1FUU, VE7DXW and AK5B like this.
  11. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup I heard stations from FL to CA tonight but was busy with something and couldn't get on the air. No grids I really need and I d not need another pileup for En24...

VE7DXW likes this.
  12. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me, too---was working on our lawn (propagation of seeds!) and my 70cm satellite antenna last couple of days and mostly listened to the qsos coming in on my HO loop. I'm putting my 6M hexbeam back up on the balcony today and will be slightly better able to hand out my rare grid to the west, north and east from here. Wish I wasn't blocked to the SW and SE so I could work some TEP but maybe I'll get lucky with some backscatter...

Glad to see that this season looks very promising unlike last year or two on 6.

73, Jeff

VE7DXW likes this.
  13. KK6YAE

KK6YAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget about 10 meters! I worked multiple stations in Washington, Oregon, and as far as Montana the last couple nights with only 20 watts SSB, and an end fed wire 20' up in the air. (My house sits roughly 460' above sea level) The E skip was fading in and out, but at it's peak, stations all over the west coast, and midwest were coming in 20 over S9, and fading to S5/S4... Really cool to finally catch some sporadic E on 10 meters!

KK4HPY and VE7DXW like this.
  14. VE7DXW

Please check out our propagation monitor page at the North Shore Amateur Radio Club.
    http://www.nsarc.ca/hf/rf_seismo/main.html

All the best;

Alex - VE7DXW

15. THESPACEMAN

THESPACEMAN QRZ Member

10 meters was wide open! The CBers were having a blast on 38 lower sideband as well!! ;)

VE7DXW likes this.