ad: elecraft

Yaesu FT-1DR / FT-1-XD Programming Tutorial

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Apr 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

It is nice that Yaesu includes a programming cable with radios like the FT-1, but what do you do if you don't have either the cable or a computer? What if you have a repeater or simplex channel you want to add on the fly? Do you know how to program your FT-1DR or FT-1XD? If not, watch this video to find out how!

FT-1 Pic.jpg

2. 2I0TSH

2I0TSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Been taking myself in and out of one of these radios but now I am sold on it!! More expense but it will compliment my dv4 mini. Fusion seems the way to go for me.

AD5KO and WJ6F like this.
  3. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have this one and the FT-2 and really like it. I had thought about getting rid of the FT-1 once I picked up the FT-2, but it is such a great radio I just can't part with it.

4. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I second both of your guys's comments. Big Yaesu fan here, love fusion, Have the FT1D, ended up selling the 2dr for other funding projects. I did make a video on both. Sold my D-star ID51.. Don't care for Dstar. Have a DMR smartphone by Rfinder. occasionally listen to DMR, but i favor Fusion of all 3. SharkRF hotspot is the way to go. That or the Bluestack+. 73 de KJ4YZI

KC7ZOH and WJ6F like this.
  5. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the comment! I do remember watching your videos on both the FT-1 and FT-2. Great videos they are! I will have to give the SharkRF a try. I had the DV4Mini, but had nothing but problems with it. It wouldn't work with my FT-2 or FTM-400, no problems wth the FT-1 though. I have an MD-380, but I too prefer Fusion over DMR.

6. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I sold my FT-2D and got the FT-1XDR, the FT-1 is a great radio.

W5VBA and WJ6F like this.
  7. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have thought about selling my FT-1DR to get the FT-1XDR.

KD5BVX and AD5KO like this.
  8. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know much about the FT-1DR but I know the FT-1XDR has the newer GPS chip and it's very fast. It can easily acquire it's location indoors even while it's raining. In comparison my FT-2D could not acquire it's location indoors even on a sunny day, and I think it has the same GPS chip as the FT-1DR.

I have been able to do APRS on the satellites outside in the rain using the FT-1XDR. It was raining so much at one point I could not see the display. :)

It's not the most expensive portable I have owned but it's the best, IMO.

KD5BVX likes this.
  9. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I do prefer the size of the FT-1 over any of my other HT's. That is why I have been thinking about selling my FT-1DR. It is a bit slow in acquiring the satellites. sometimes, by the time it acquires the satellites, I am nearly at my destination! That is with the radio sitting on the dash on a sunny day.... Mind you this is more the exception than the rule, but it does happen.

10. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the XDR and I can't say the GPS matters that much, I keep it turned off to maximize the battery life (which is pretty decent if you use the appropriate settings- GPS off, battery saver on, lower tx power etc). The 2200mah battery that comes with the XD is a definite improvement over the 1800mah in the X. I do have a few batteries and the drop-in charger and all are conveniently compatible with my VX-8.
    Fusion-wise I mostly use mine with the DV4-Mini so L1 tx power (100mw) is sufficient.
    Overall I do like this radio although I do wish it had more accessible controls that weren't buried in layers of menus and button presses (the VX-8 suffers from this also). I miss being able to just turn a knob to adjust the volume like I can on my VX-5 (yes I have too many HT's).
    I can't make any comparison to the FT-2D not having owned or used one.

WJ6F likes this.
  11. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT1DR is slow to acquire the satellites, very very slow. The FT1XDR picks up the signals quick, so I can avoid leaving the GPS on all the time and burning the battery. I found the FT1XDR to be on par with the Kenwood D72A regarding GPS coordinate acquisition and position. I have not tested a FT2 against the FT1XDR yet.

Yaesu released the "X" version of the HT and the mobile and the GPS was pretty much the difference. Still, for those not interested in APRS or using the GPS, the non "X" models can be picked up at lower prices.

WJ6F and AD5KO like this.
  12. WB2LBV

Well both models seem pretty popular. Whenever either an FT1-XD or -XDR gets posted for sale here they get snapped up rather quickly.

AD5KO and WJ6F like this.
  13. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like I may be n the market for a new HT, depending on repair costs for my FT-2. Unfortunately, it was dropped and the screen is trashed. Can't read a thing on it. I guess that is the hazard of these new fancy radios. My FT-60 has fallen from 6 feet with absolutely no issues.

14. WB2LBV

Since this got bumped, for those interested Yaesu has just released new firmware for all the Fusion radios to support the added Fusion II features.

WJ6F likes this.
  15. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool thanks for the info!