ad: TinyPaddle-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 61 - Youth and Instructors Forum 2017 with Carole Perry, WB2MGP - HV Preview

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Apr 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday at 9pm EDT on Ham Talk Live! Carole Perry, WB2MGP returns to talk about her upcoming Youth Forum and Instructors Forum at this year's Dayton Hamvention! This is week 2 of 6 of our preview shows counting down to Hamvention. So be sure to tune in and ask your questions about youth in the hobby and effective teaching strategies for all ages!

And, as with all our Hamvention preview shows, Radiowavz Antenna is giving away a DX80 Off Center Fed dipole to one lucky live listener! So be sure to listen live for the details on how you can CALL IN AND WIN!
    Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern time by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button! If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand 24/7/365.25 also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

carole.jpg CarolePerry01.jpg

Giveaway copy.jpg

2. KA1VT

KA1VT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where are the "youth"? ARRL has had some MOU and instruction/instructors that worked with a youth program it sure would be great to hear about that.

3. WB9VPG

That's part of it! Be sure to listen in!

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Carole's programs are hardly about Carole... these young people give presentations not only at Hamvention but at Radio Club of America; IWCE; and at many other telecom and ham venues.

The reason we hear about WB2MGP's programs is because they have been on for 30+ years; are extremely successful for the young people; and are downright fun.

The young people are stellar! Carole gives them a noodge (in a pleasant way) and a voice.

You should ask Gordo, WB6NOA about Carole's programs. Get ready for superlatives:)

Hope that helps.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    WB9VPG likes this.
  5. KA1VT

I am not knocking Carole at all - just the photos showing the youth program but no youths to be seen. Plug a program - use a youth to plug it, it may be more helpful to a young prospective to draw them in..

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, Here's one last year at Hamvention---Marty KC1CWF-- who gave a great talk on his experimenting.

If you haven't heard, or heard about Marty, chances are you've been living under a rock:)

There's more cool youth talks next month. Come and enjoy:)! For most, its the highlight of Hamvention! :)

Chip W1YW
    IMG_1724.JPG

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    AD0JA and N5IPA like this.
  7. KA1VT

So put him on the front cover.. and btw I know Marty personally - so what, get with the thought.. if you are going to talk about youth display youth. Seems like all you want to do not understand the comment and slant in another direction. If you want to attract youth, display youth in action. Marty would have been a great chance to attract others his age group with a QRZ advert. There is no doubt we all have expertise in amateur radio but if we want youth - use youthful advertising.
    Sorry if you can not grasp that thought, but it works.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Front cover of...what?

No,

I am afraid I do not 'get with the thought'.

Kindly explain it, as either I am profoundly dense, or you have not ARTICULATED it sufficiently.

This is personally important to me, as I have donated many thousands of dollars towards youth in ham radio, as have many of my friends, and would like very much to know what the point, or points are, that I am missing. So, again, please expand. Have I wasted my money?

What have I, and others, missed?

What is the "thought" you refer to?

Thanks!
    Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    AD0JA likes this.
  9. WB9VPG

I think I am getting the disconnect here. This episode isn't about youth. It's about Carole's Youth Forum and Instructors Forum. We did a show on recruiting youth. We did a show about Youngsters on the Air. We did a show with Marty. We did 2 shows on YHOTY, and 2 others with a YHOTY. And on those episodes, I posted pictures of them. The theme for tonight isn't recruiting youth (although I'm sure it will come up!). It's about the forum that's about recruiting youth. Thus, the picture of Carole and the picture of Carole at a forum with youth in the background for the news article here on QRZ.com about tonight's episode. And QRZ.com chose the picture of Carole alone for the headline on their front page.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly.

BTW ICOM generously sponsors the video taping and streaming of ALL these youth presenters. The emphasis is on the YOUTHS not the MENTOR.

Neil is reminding us that there is a great opportunity for the YOUTHS to show us a thing or two at the Hamvention YOUTH FORUM.

We understand that with Carole heading it, we are always going to see YOUTH UP FRONT--and SHINING:)

Come one; come all:) CU at Hamvention!

11. KA1VT

Chip - as I have reiterated - if you are going to advertise interest pointed toward youth, show a youth in the picture, not that Carole isn't important and not that the article isn't news worthy. The whole point is if you are going to sell a car you advertise a car not an eighteen wheeler. Lets show youth to draw in youth. I know all the money people have put in makes it personal and reaction to what I have endlessly tried to point out in an off handed remark about marketing youth seems to have gone personal. It certainly was not intended that way.
    I have deal with youth for decades as a teacher, and unless you give them a tie in to their way of life you will not reach as many as you might if you do have a tie in. Kids bring kids into the hobby with a zeal and bond no adult can bring to youth.
    So getting back to the promo - look at it and ask yourself how does it feature youth other than mention youth forum, how if someone is viewing this product (and it is a product) does it stir youth interest for those first viewing it? That was my whole, run over the dead horse point so many times, point. Not to create a nasty back and forth but to try to help get more young folks into it by pointing out a better way of advertising this forum. You guys need to understand not everyone in this world is nasty and after you juggler vein.
    You can throw all the money in the world at something but if it misses its mark - is it wasted money? Not always, because it too is a learning experience.
    It has taken us this far to hear this? (rhetorical question)
    " Neil is reminding us that there is a great opportunity for the YOUTHS to show us a thing or two at the Hamvention YOUTH FORUM. We understand that with Carole heading it, we are always going to see YOUTH UP FRONT--and SHINING"
    I always thought it was a great opportunity for youth - I was suggesting showing it. May be my perspective is different and hard to envision - and I certainly hope for a huge success by all.
    (better to just end this without further misunderstandings) 73 all

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Carole is a BRAND that guarantees a quality STEM experience for the youth and from the youth.

Carole is the FIRST to point out the efforts of OTHER youth groups. I know: I have seen it first hand.

I used to watch the Johhny Carson show because I knew there was a very good chance I would see a funny comedian, a cherished actor, or an off-cue critter that would lighten my load, and allow me to celebrate their entertainment achievement. I knew what I was getting.

When Carole presents young people, these folks have been recommended TO her by clubs, engineers, professors, Elmers, and so on, FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. She works with them for many months to prepare their presentations and put them in the best light for their achievements. That half hour presentation took dozens and dozens of hours on Carole's part, let alone the youths' part.

So when I see Carol's smiling face, I smile too--because I know I am going to see some of the very best young people in ham radio and celebrate their wonderful efforts.

So sure; show me a picture of Carole. I know what it stands for.

CU at Dayton OM:) Safe travels:)

Chip W1YW

KY5U likes this.
  13. WB9VPG

See you all there!

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Absolutely true.

45 years ago, one of those centers was the Norwood Amateur Radio Club in MA.

The old folks in the club would have been the definitive example of: 'it takes a village to raise a child--but use a light hand'. To a large degree, the kids ran the show (mostly mid teens) and there was no 'Lord of the Rings' outcome.The alumni from that era are (or are retired) lawyers; engineers; scientists; professors; tech sales engineers; you name it. And that was the era when drugs were like butter on toast. Not everyone escaped unscathed but we sure did better than the general population by a longshot. So I strongly assert and confirm your statement here.

But its now 2017 and hams actually argue amongst themselves(true! hard to believe!) whether we need young people in ham radio, and the demographic is close to extinction.

ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that calls attention to young people in ham radio is a 'very good thing':)

Carole's forums are one way-- a successful way--of doing that.

Chip W1YW

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hahah!

I should have said no 'Lord of the Flies' outcome!

:)

KY5U likes this.