ad: k1jek

HR2.0: Episode 90 - DMR 101 (from the Greater Houston Hamfest)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Apr 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.livefromthehamshack.tv/2017/04/18/episode-90-dmr-101-greater-houston-hamfest-forum/
    -----------------
    This is a Forum on DMR that I have given previously, and posted on this series, but it has evolved over time. I wanted to record the latest version and call it "DMR 101" because I plan to record another episode soon which I will title "DMR 201", so that I can talk to an audience that is experienced with DMR. DMR is growing rapidly, and it is the most active all-digital mode in Amateur Radio today. You really can't have too many videos about it ;)

Comments are welcome. A special thanks to the folks down at the Greater Houston Hamfest, who allowed me to present this forum and record it. I'm looking forward to attending that show again next year.

http://livefromthehamshack.tv

W1YW, N5WLS, K5JM and 1 other person like this.
  2. K5JM

K5JM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jason, great presentation. I enjoy my CS580 and the explanation about RX groups was also helpful..something I didn't quite understand before. The Austin, Texas area now has a Brandmeister DMR UHF repeater in service in the far southwestern reaches of Travis County towards Dripping Springs/Hays County. We are getting all the beta testing and tweaking done on that before our club (The Oak Hill Amateur Radio Club) moves it to a wide coverage location in South or Central Austin hopefully later this year or possibly into next.

My ears really perked about about the DV4Mobile...I've heard about it for sometime now. Excited to see if it will become a reality later this summer after Dayton. Also, if Wireless Holdings is successful there and do move forward with a 900/1200mhz version radio as well...that'd be pretty cool. There really aren't many great options for getting on 33cm/23cm unless you can repurpose an old Motorola radio or pay big bucks for an older Kenwood or Icom radio for 23cm. Good work...keep it up!

Sam
    K5JM

AK5B and KC5HWB like this.
  3. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Sam, good to hear from you.

Yes I am aware of the Brandmeister repeater in Dripping Springs. The Cedar Park repeater has a pretty good range to it, and I often use it when driving South down I35 or that new tollroad that goes almost to San Antonio.

K5JM likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice summary. Great intro to DMR.

On a related note---

Note that Motorola is asking the courts--very recently--for an injunction on Hytera DMR product (which is believed to infringe on Motorola's patents). There is some chance you will not be able to buy certain Hytera models around the time of Hamvention, for example.

I take no position within this post, only report the facts.

Chip W1YW

K5JM likes this.
  5. K5JM

K5JM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jason,
    Sounds about right for the DMR repeater coverage out of Cedar Park...it's rather impressive. From my QTH in far south Austin I can sometimes hit it from inside my house on the rubber duck antenna on the CS580. Not so much with the DMR repeater in Dripping Springs. We are a bit jealous of all the stuff going on digital wise in the Metroplex but hope to bring more DMR coverage to the greater Austin area soon enough.

73!
    Sam
    K5JM

6. N8NOE

N8NOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Would LOVE to SEE that Happen!...

7. WD5IWW

WD5IWW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Jason
    Thanks for the presentation, as I find your videos, tutorials very useful so keep up the good work and 73 de Shawn WD5IWW.

KC5HWB likes this.
  8. KG5ILR

KG5ILR Ham Member QRZ Page

Great presentation !!

KC5HWB likes this.