ad: ProAudio-1

WebSDR for all ham-radio systems .... stand alone !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Apr 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

WebSDR

Alex Csete OZ9AEC is showing you how you can listen to and decode digital ham radio traffic without having any receiver or antenna. All you need is a computer with a Java capable web browser and a good Internet connection.

AG4YL, NY7Q, 8P6PD and 5 others like this.
  2. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is ham radio...how?

VK6APZ/SK2022, VE7DXW and K7YB like this.
  3. AF4HL

AF4HL Ham Member QRZ Page

Might be good for someone checking out the hobby without spending cash on equipment.

K5YVY likes this.
  4. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

too bad you can't configure FLDIGI to listen directly to the WEBSDR output instead of having to have it listen to the PC speakers via the microphone... what if you don't have a microphone to plug into your PC and it does not have a built in mic ??... maybe a jumper from headphone output to mic input might work ? - will have to try that & see if it works - otherwise you have to put up with hearing the audio signal which is not the most pleasant thing to listen to LOL... BTW I love FLDIGI - it's a great piece of open source software .. amazing to watch it decode hi-speed CW (and it does it pretty well too)...

5. N4AXE

N4AXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Try something like a SignaLink USB and you will have the control to turn the volume down. Then you won't have to listen to it any longer.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Trailer had code in it.

8. KC3HMY

KC3HMY Ham Member QRZ Page

for pretty much any ham-interested SDR receiver activities, you need a Virtual Audio Cable... a small application to allow you to create a virtual input and output for audio... like a jumper cable, without an actual cable. This one's free: http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/

K0PIR and K9PLG like this.
  9. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just about as much as DMR, Echolink, IRLP, D-Star and Fusion, almost no value if you loose the internet. In any disaster so bad they will call for the hams, that will be likely to have occurred.
    Just the receive half of a remote shack via internet. Also good for SWLing as many of us listen more than xmit. May also serve as a demo to get newcomers interested in ham radio as they are used to computers.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  10. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks !! - I will try it out....

11. K6SDW

K6SDW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fun stuff......I'm at work during the day, so I can dial up and listen to HF without leaving my desk.....too KOOL! Now, I just gotta explain to my sup why I have earbuds growing out of my ears! HI HI

sdw

12. NC4DX

NC4DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not necessarily, the repeaters still work in local mode and SCHEART repeaters are linked by microwave so state-wide communication in SC is still possible without internet.

K3SZ likes this.
  13. WW1I

WW1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SDR is indeed radio. That someone can use a radio from a remote location does not change that you are receiving RF into an antenna and the receiver turns it into an audible signal.

K2NCC likes this.
  14. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

But you are receiving just audio over the connection, not a RF signal. That is what I was referring to. That's not ham radio.

15. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is more to ham radio than RF.

The challenge of making things work, AF, RF, and FMagic is fun and part of the hobby.

K3SZ likes this.