ad: chuckmartin

HamRadioNow: Do NOT Call CQ on Repeaters

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Apr 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason we put CW in our bio's is because it is something we have achieved, that is all. It's got nothing to do with anyone else, it has got something to do with standards, for example many people think that because you did not have to study the code or pass a test with it you are not a real extra. So those of us who have code like others to know that we do, but it is not to put others down.

When I put CW in my bio it's about me, not someone else.

KK5R, KW4AU and WR2E like this.
  2. KS4TD

KS4TD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is so much I'd love to glean from those who've been in the hobby longer than I've been around but many of these hams call me a "fake amateur radio operator" and "an appliance operator". These are people who are old enough to be my father yet choose to act like insolent children on the air (75/80 meters is a good start) because I don't fit the image of an old-timey ham-fisted ham. :D

Thanks! What's funny is that my stepfather "stole" the brand-new ARRL Extra Class Study Guide I bought for myself last month. He's wanting to get his Extra also. I think I'll have to "steal" the book back and teach myself. I'm one for actually wanting to learn the theory behind the exam questions and not "learn the answers" just to get the license. While I don't learn as fast as I used to, I still enjoy ham radio enough to want to get my Extra.

I may never get into Morse code on the air. It doesn't matter to me; I'll still enjoy my hobby (that's what it is; some of these people act like it's some divinely inspired vocation) no matter what. Best of luck to you and your XYL with your Extra classes also.

November 3, 2017, will mark my 20-year anniversary as a ham. Not bad for a worthless "no-code Tech". ;)

Sean

3. KS4TD

KS4TD Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand that you don't do so but some do to be disparaging. I know that getting up to 20+ WPM in code is an achievement. I once sat with a ham during Field Day that was doing 30+ WPM in code. He was banging out contacts faster than I could log them! My opinion is that other hams judging me that I don't know Morse code so that makes me "worthless" is, well, worthless. I have been told this countless times on the air and while I understand your explanation of why you might put that as an achievement in your bio, that doesn't excuse the boorish behavior by other hams.

I mean, just listen to 75/80 meters on any given night and you'll hear the "best" of amateur radio. Many of these "operators" are the same buffoons who insult me because I don't know Morse code? Hah! But as I said before, this attitude is slowly succumbing to attrition due to many of these hams either quitting the hobby or simply dying of old age.

Ham radio has something for everyone. Just because I don't use Morse code doesn't make me any less of an operator than anyone else.

Sean

KK5R and KG5ILR like this.
  4. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Code is strange, many people who never learned it in the beginning decide to learn it later, for different reasons but most of all it's because they become interested in it.

The other day it was I think a 105 years ago that the Titanic sunk, and there is a movie on youtube in black and white HD in full it's called "A Night To Remember" it conveys something about morse code that I cannot. There is quite a bit of radio in the movie but you don't need to know the code to enjoy the movie. As a radio operator I felt a certain sense of apprehension, probably because it was something real.

When Pearl Harbor happened, sailors trapped in upturned ships used morse code to communicate to those on the outside trying to rescue them, which most often because of the code they were able to do.

Another thing to consider is 5 watts of CW is equal in power density to a 100 watts SSB, and with conditions getting worse for HF with this current sun cycle that's worth thinking about.

Andrew
    AD5KO

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    KK5R likes this.
  5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Dude, that is NOTHING NEW, its been like that at least 40 years. Currently 7.200 mhz is the brown spot......

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah.

I don't care if you use CW or not.

I use CW to keep my brain sharp. Beats getting Alzheimer's. That and lattes.

So I put CW on the level of Lattes....I like both. Your taste may differ.

Chip W1YW

AD5KO likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm...is there something I should be saying in my bio about CW?

Watza secret handshake:)!

I like CW; I like lattes.

AD5KO likes this.
  8. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip I think he was addressing Post #10.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

9. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think the intent is to insult but instead a nod to other CW ops. If you are insulted then perhaps you should give it a shot? I started CW as a tech because I wanted to really know as much as I could about amateur radio whether it be AM, CW, digital, or FM, I want to learn as much as I can.

AD5KO likes this.
  10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I had no other option back in the 70's , morse code or no license back then.

I did not know is:

11. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny I do Ham Radio and Electronics for the same reason.. to keep my brain sharp. Plus it's a real panty dropper lol

KJ7SYU, KQ9J, KS3O and 3 others like this.
  12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, that is the first thing I tell all the hotties, this old fat man can copy code at 20 wpm.

KJ7SYU, W1YW, N3AB and 2 others like this.
  13. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always tell them first that I'm a banjo picker. If that don't work, then I whip out the CW card.

KJ7SYU and WF9Q like this.
  14. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

First thing in their mind would be banjo music.................and a trip down the river in a canoe.

KJ7SYU likes this.
  15. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Paddle FASTER! I hear banjo music!

KJ7SYU, AD5KO and WF9Q like this.