ad: k1jek

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 97

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Apr 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

foundations-of-amateur-radio.png

Is the "Gentleman's Agreement" broken because the gentlemen of our hobby are being overwhelmed by a noisy minority who don't think it's their responsibility to help new Amateurs and prefer to stand on the side-lines baying for blood?

What we are lacking is, now more than ever, is a community where bullying is unacceptable, where consideration is expected and where assistance is the name of the game. Perhaps one day we'll have a code of conduct that radio amateurs can hold up to the world as an example of tolerance, inclusiveness and encouragement. If we're lucky we can even incorporate the Amateurs Code, originally written in 1928. A Radio Amateur is Considerate, Loyal, Progressive, Friendly, Balanced and Patriotic.

"Foundations of Amateur Radio" is a weekly podcast about an amazing hobby where technology, science and people come together in a mix of activity across the globe. This week I look at what might be at the heart of the problem when historic perspectives clash with current ideas and what we might have lost along the way.

You can listen to this podcast on-air, on-demand and on-line. Search for my callsign, VK6FLAB on iTunes, or visit the website at http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/

Onno VK6FLAB

VE3EEI, N8GIR, VK3QZ and 4 others like this.
  2. KE9OL

KE9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

THE "GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT", LIKE MOST THINGS...FALLEN VICTIM TO POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.

VK6APZ/SK2022, W5LMM, AD5KO and 5 others like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Quiet now...don't be sexist.

Ladies present....

KG9IO and KE9OL like this.
  4. VK2CCR

VK2CCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Something that Australia is totally obsessed with as well.

W5LMM and KE9OL like this.
  5. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said. I posted an opinion question here a few weeks back and was chided by someone for not "knowing" what he considered to be the obvious answer. I think some of the intolerance is from so called "experts" who know their field but belittle others whom in their opinion do not know as much as they do. Instead of teaching they simply insult others then bask in their own perceived brilliance all alone in their glory because no one else can tolerate them. I have seen this in many technicians in many fields, sad but true. We must all practice patience and pass on our knowledge.

VE3EEI, N0DSS, N5IM and 8 others like this.
  6. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Good comment.

I have found what you say to be true.
    There are the REAL experts here , that let you know it , then on the other hand there are the WANNABE EXPERTS that talk boldly as if they know , but in time you realize that they just talk rubbish.

I actually find both types to be equally obnoxious pain in the asses.

But then you get another type of Ham that agrees or makes a comment based on what one of the EXPERTS said, giving them support , but in reality, they too don't know what they are on about ,, they just want to feel like they are part of the 'IN' crowd.

[​IMG]

It's all such a joke really.

We live in a social media mad world , where Hams are so happy to slag off at their fellow Ham's without a second thought.
    I had one Ham try and justify his abusive comments on QRZ to me by saying ,, 'its not real life' - what sort of feeble minded excuse is that ?

I don't say anything on here that I wouldn't tell to the persons face.
    If a person doesn't have the balls to say it face to face , , then they should reword their comment and interaction in a more acceptable way.

As I said before we live in a social media world , and I don't think that is a good thing , as it frees up people in a way that allows their inner ASSHOLE to reveal itself.

Between you and me ,, if I was a person interested in Ham Radio and I visited QRZ forums to see what sort of people are into Ham Radio , I would turn around and leave.

gregW:) OH2FFY

KK4HPY, WD0BCT, KD8AQT and 5 others like this.
  7. WB2HIZ

WB2HIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's Not Such A Joke To Me .
    I Myself have been Proud to My Dad Who Is Was licensed back in 1952 when you to take your Test in front your Examiner From the FCC He Told Me and Also you Had to
    take your Code Test as well the same Day , Oh yes The Test back Then were you had to Circuit Schematic. unlike Today where everything is multiple choice but one thing
    missing The Code Test which give entry into the world of Ham Radio I am Proud to say I started that way , and I believe when you need to know the Code made thing at...
    least a little better understanding how work on air if you did not if you did not at least a bye by the rules an regulations of The FCC Part 95 You got told about it by the guys
    on the Air And they were there to help you be better Operators. Is that so terrible that we all come to a point in this life where we can not Help each other which is what this
    all about to being with . And sure that we live in a Social media mad world , where Kids can not Even take their face out of FACEBOOK long enough to eat dinner with their
    family god for bid they should miss a text message , Life is Tough that is why we all Call out CQ to other Hams to make a Contact and that is known has Communication why
    all here in the First place and this is know Joke to me ,
    this has been a Joy of My life as well as My Family ,
    Steven WB2HIZ

8. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Onno,

This quote, written by the famous screenwriter Aaron Sorkin (the master behind many great works including "West Wing") is extremely apt !

I had a Novice call many-many years back ... I re-entered with a Foundation Call around 10 years back... Things have NOT changed in 20 nor 30 years.... But they have to now for AR to survive. But there are a few Good Men and Ladies around in AR at the moment that are leading the charge for reform - not just reform of our own people but reform of our regulators that refuse to regulate; it all comes down to our regulators who should be stomping on and appalling conduct and hard... and are not... for various political and resourcing reasons.

Steve I
    VK3VM / VK3SIR

WQ4G and VK2CCR like this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I literally laughed out loud reading the quoted excerpt. There's a medical term for the condition described. To wit, the verb form:

From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

prolapse
    n 1: the slipping or falling out of place of an organ (as the
    uterus) [syn: {prolapse}, {prolapsus}, {descensus}]
    v 1: slip or fall out of place, as of body parts; "prolapsed
    rectum"

On this weekend so important to many of us, I can't help but answer the OP's original question with an oft quoted passage:

"And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise."

Yep, the old tried and true Golden Rule.

And before the masses descend to crucify me for this, I'm neither Biblical scholar nor angel. I'm just a basic human being trying to find his way through the madness.

W0TRS, WA1SAZ, AC5RH and 6 others like this.
  10. WN1MB

That brought back memories of cherished conversations with gentleman AM'er Irb, W2VJZ. Irb would frequently call "CQ CQ ... Seeking you. This is W2VJZ calling CQ and listening."

Though not needing phonetics, I continue to appreciate Irb's "seek" and "you" paraphonetics for "CQ."

R.I.P., Irb.

NE5U and KM4BDH like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ stands for "Seek You'. That's its origin. Why is CU as "See You" remembered today, but CQ as "Seek You" is not?

Chip W1YW

12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Does that apply to FQ:D:)

W1YW and WZ7U like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not know the circumstances, but certainly you must agree that if you truly seek knowledge, you have some responsibility to pursue it yourself. Surely your teachers never automatically provided you answers without seeing how you approached it first....

If someone gave you a calc problem to solve, and you asked someone the answer, would you expect them to shoot-from-the- hip answer, or rather expect them to see what you did to try to answer it--first?

Chip W1YW

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Only to Harry Nilsson ;-)

15. WN1MB

Some editing "History and usage" on Wikipedia's take on "CQ" disagree - chicken/egg et al.

Loved the Nilsson reference.

Jeff WN1MB

W1YW likes this.