ad: Radclub22-1

My initial plan for a motorhome based station, Update on CHA-P-Loop 2.0 K6UDA Radio Episode 48

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, Apr 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We took our new motorhome to the coast for a quick shake down cruise. My down and dirty HF failed miserably but it gave me some direction for the build out. I'm also going to do a quick update on the Chameleon CHA-P-Loop 2.0 and I'll have a link to some beautiful drone video from the California coast.

EP 48 QRZ Thumb.jpg

W2TTT and NA3P like this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

No link?

3. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

?

I am missing something !!

4. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He posted a video right under that still image of himself. Just click on it and it will play. It shows the brief drone footage that he mentions along with the information on the Cha P Loop 2.0 and his new to him motor home.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  5. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, another ho-hum waste of time.

NU4R likes this.
  6. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have zero rule 7 issues. I'm not married!

7. W0JOG

W0JOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Why make such hard work of it? I've been mobile almost every year since licensed and never had any big problem putting together a mobile RV from van to Itasca Suncruiser. Who ya trying to impress?

WF9Q, AK5B and NU4R like this.
  8. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah...yeah...yeah. We all see your pretty motor-home Bob. But, please don't forget that your "2nd amendment rights" have this incredible ability to expose your real agenda and put people to sleep.

Now, excuse me whilst I go produce a little snooze-er of my own and disguise it as an amateur radio interest to all...so I can "showboat" my new Dehler 46' sailboat.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    WF9Q, N3DAW and AK5B like this.
  9. KA7CCP

KA7CCP Ham Member QRZ Page

on my motorhome I'm using a end fed long wire and a 9:1 balun off from a 33' fiberglass pushup pole attached to the ladder on the back to the front of the rig , works well but I'm only using a yaesu ft 817 at 5 watts and running off the inverter

10. KD5OM

KD5OM Premium Subscriber

What would be a recommended HF frequency for traveling RVers?

11. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

With today's hardware, please..... I clearly remember Pop mounting a big and heavy dynamotor and tube rig that is huge by today's standards,,, in his mobile.

40+ some years ago those old timers would have given their right nut for the micro size all band radio that ran off of 12 volts.

AK5B likes this.
  12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

27.195 mhz

AK5B likes this.
  13. KD5OM

KD5OM Premium Subscriber

Hi Hi! I don't know if I even have one of them radios. I usually monitor the County Hunters Net Frequency. But here in a Sun Spot Minimum there isn't much activity. There is always somebody at 14,300 in case of emergency and I have no cell service. 73.

14. W6ZKH

W6ZKH Ham Member QRZ Page

As a "butt crack", this video is a waste of space....didnt learn a thing.

15. W4NIO

W4NIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I can not tell you what I think of your loop antenna ! Believe me it is not good. It may work during a major band opening.

I am full time in a 34ft motor home and have been a Ham for almost 60 years.

I use a 30 foot telescoping flag pole which cost approximately $90.00 on Amazon. I used self tapping screws to secure the sections together so there would be no fear of them collapsing.

I attached a 4 foot section (approx. size) of angle iron to the bottom section and it hinges / pivots at the top of the ladder. I used stainless steal hose clamps to secure the pole to the angle iron. I used a short section of angle iron secured to the ladder. A bolt is used as the hinge/pivot point. The longer the angle iron ,the easer it will be to raise and lower the pole. It stores extended flat on the roof.

I use an Icom AH-4 antenna tuner. Using an Icom rig, I push one button and the tuner on the MH roof tunes the wire automatically. You can use a 30ft wire attached to the flagpole Or you can run the wire up the inside of the pole. It works fantastic. If, I am camped for a long time , I use 300 ohm or 600 ohm open ladder line as the vertical (on the flagpole). Then , I run random lengths of wire from the open line at the top of the pole out as far as I have room. Sometimes several hundreds of feet. Don't worry about formules or radials. Use the ladder and small metal railing on the roof for your ground side of the tuner. My tuner is bolted to the roof metal railing and grounded to the ladder.
    The tuner always tunes to a very low SWR. The tuner can only handle 100 watts. You do not need any radials. Just use the metyal ladder or metal small railing o
    If all of this is more than you desire, you can also use a CB whip. I think they are approx. 102 inches long. It will load up nicely on 80 through 10 meters using the Icom antenna tuner.
    73's Russ

K6UDA likes this.