ad: M2Ant-1

TQSL Runs On Raspberry Pi 3

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Apr 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm an LOTW user and setting up the account in the beginning was tricky to say the least, but I have my certificate(s) and have been a LOTW user for years. I have TQSL on my PC, Raspberry Pi 3 and Mac.

RPi3.jpg

Recently I started using a Raspberry Pi for digital modes. I have installed WSJT-X and Fldigi on my RPi3 and am happy to say it works very well.

I saw the TQSL application for the Pi, but never did set it up until recently. Prompted to do so, I am happy to find it works right from the package. I used my existing callsign certificate. I made a clip showing how to save the callsign certificate container on a PC and then move it to the RPi3. BTW this process worked on the Mac too.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    WA4TUX, YO4FKO, KF5RHI and 2 others like this.
  2. W6VRF

W6VRF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Was there a specific Ubuntu or other image you put on your RPi3?

K0PIR likes this.
  3. K0PIR

Great question. I just used the Raspbian image and did the updates.

TQSL V2.0.3
    TrustedQSL library V2.4
    Configuration data V11.0

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    WA4TUX and K3RW like this.
  4. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool. Never did get why the Pi is rectangular though. o_O

K3RW, VE4PLC, KF5RHI and 2 others like this.
  5. K0PIR

Yep and one day all we will need is a little computer for all our ham software :)

KK4HPY likes this.
  6. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Everybody knows, Pi are round! Cobbler are square! :)

KK1DB and K0PIR like this.
  7. AF5QR

AF5QR Ham Member QRZ Page

This? From a fellow TEXAN? :) Son... yer mother wouldn't approve.
    Cornbread is *always* square. (Cobbler can go in whatever pan is clean)
    Warning: Epic thread drift...

G4IYK, KF5RHI and K0PIR like this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The RPi3 is a cool little box.

You should never screw one up running Windows. :eek:

WA4TUX, W6ERM and K0PIR like this.
  9. K0PIR

I know, right.

10. VE9CD

VE9CD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

11. VE9CD

VE9CD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A great idea to post the RPi/TQSL info here Rich. Hopefully it will encourage more use of the Pi for ham radio apps. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that someone will get the JTAlert addon working for the JT65/JT9 program on the Pi as well.

BTW, in the upcoming issue of QST, AD1B reports using Ubuntu Mate and FLDIGI playing well with each other on the Raspberry Pi. The article was written by Steve Ford. I'm happy to report that I have Ubuntu Mate operating just fine on the Pi and am in the process of looking for the steps to add FLDIGI to that OS. 73, Jerry - VE9CD

12. K0PIR

Thanks Jerry and thanks for the info, I'll look forward to seeing it. I'll have to pick up another Pi to play with and try Ubuntu Mate.

I installed a VPN server on my other Pi, but it's slow and unusable as it is. I'm hoping it's just a configuration problem.

More and more possibilities are surfacing :)

Thanks again and 73!

13. KQ5U

KQ5U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich & the group,

I have been window shopping for a Pi3 and see Pi3 made in a bunch of different countries, packaged as kits and etc. Do you have a recommendation for the very first Pi? I do have a monitor , mouse and KB around here I can use so I think I'm good there. The goal is to get the logging and maybe some rig control going on the Pi. I know I'm going to get one soon, but would like some ideas from someone with some experience using it with ham gear.

Thanks,

Terry, KQ5U

K0PIR likes this.
  14. K0PIR

Hi Terry,

My first one was a complete kit. Pretty easy to get going. You can find the one I got on Amazon http://amzn.to/2odaVY4
    I run mine headless, no attached monitor, keyboard or mouse. I use VNC.

It was hard to get CQRLOG installed and it does run a little slow, but it's usable. It is a logging program and has (limited) rig control. I have found it easier to use the log function in WSJT-X and Fldigi since I use it for digital modes.

I haven't experimented with other logging programs on the Pi. There may be one or two others, but the one I can think of at the moment hasn't been updated in years.

I don't remember if Flrig worked for me, but it may be a possibility.

You could use an online logbook like QRZ.com. The browser is a little slow but passable. It just depends on your expectations I guess.

I hope this helps and I'll answer anything I can.

Best 73,

15. KQ5U

KQ5U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Rich, but what is VNC?