ad: elecraft

Ham Radio Analytics

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AB4EJ, Apr 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Entering arguments: 0915z, Coffee (black)
    Query: What station is waiting to talk to me? ;)

Ummm, wow. Thanks for developing this interesting new tool. b.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been tracking 6m in exactly the same way for 5 years, and gotten down to the granularity of which days favor Europe, and which favor Carib/SA.

The danger to that is it does become a bit biased, is 'noisy', and self fulfilling but I have to admit its worked on this path from Boston. This data has been used to plan vacations, trips, and so on.

6M is cool. Join us! Es Season in NA starts in the next 5 weeks or so, peaks in late June/early July, and usually dies here by mid August.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The important thing about the DX cluster is you have to ADD spots, not just USE them:)

KG7OG likes this.
  4. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is great data, I think the entire worldwide ham community should thank you. If you only use DX Clusters, you may be missing the potential contacts that could be made but not active. While clusters are good, WSPR beacons operating on all bands 24/7. If somehow that data could be included, a product showing even POTENTIAL CONTACTS might be developed. Nothing negative implied to your fine work, just thinking about how things COULD be. Thanks again

Dave, K3FHP

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The dynamic of the DX Cluster will change, fairly soon, as JT65 becomes a major mode. You can see it already: compare JT65 spots now with those of 2 years ago.

Nothing wrong with that: but JT65 probes a different level of DX prop so you have to understand that future bias in the 'big data'. Another such bias--based on spots-- is that more stations will be on JT65 than phone (outside of contests) probably by next year.

Lotsa trends...not just prop, but our OTA reaction to it.

KK4HPY and W0PV like this.
  6. AB4EJ

AB4EJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave - thanks for the idea... am looking at the WSPRnet and I believe I could get the data from the database and merge it into the dxdisplay data. That will enrichen it. I do have a field that lets me record the source of the spot, so this data could be notated in such a way as to be able to include it or not.

7. EA3HUF

EA3HUF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a great project, and it is also great authors made it accessible to all hams. Ham radio is a global hobby and service and on this basis I would like, if you allow me, to contribute with a feature request: there are tools in the web applications such as the selector for "heard from US only" that would be much more useful to the global ham brotherhood if they would be implemented as a drop-down selector where you could choose "heard from **whatever [country|CQ zone|Grid] you may select** only". Hope the authors find this comment useful. Thanks again for the great piece of work.

8. AA4ZZ

AA4ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, great project.
    I have noticed spots of my station on 144, 222 and 432 MHz do not show the first digit
    They show up as 44, 22 and 32 followed by the 3 KHz digits.
    Thanks for what you have done

73 Paul AA4ZZ

9. KD0YTE

KD0YTE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very Nice. The title of your page is homepage. Would be nice if that was more descriptive so i could find it in my bookmarks easily without editing the bookmark. But great job, thanks.

10. K1DT

K1DT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Presentation. Tableau is a fantastic tool. Business Intelligence and Analytics is huge in my industry; our customer demand for BI is a great source of innovation, development and in turn, revenue for our company. The retail industry relies on BI for survival. All the merchandising, promotions, direct marketing, down to things like the color of the paint on the walls in the store and the layout of the good on the shelves (planogram) are derived from BI. The retailer (DX) wants many purchases(QSOs) and payments (QSLs). Similar game.

11. K1DT

K1DT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BTW, this would be a Great QST article...

KA2CZU likes this.
  12. KF5WKW

KF5WKW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is very impressive and well presented. The comments are also telling, in a good way. There were only a couple of "old ham" negative attitudes. I find that refreshing.

13. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

agree very much

14. AB4EJ

You would think that, wouldn't you? No, this was already rejected by QST, that's why I'm publishing it here. I suspect that my project is too close to the WSPRNet project, and so might be viewed as redundant; or perhaps not sufficiently "ham" in nature (too much of an "IT" project) to be of interest in QST. Anyway, it's here now. (thanks for the encouragement)

KK4HPY likes this.
  15. AB4EJ

I did think about having a drop-down list to filter by reporting country; probably will add that. It's just that the country list will be very long and a bit inconvenient for many users. (I need to find a clever way to do this without a 350-item drop-down list)...

EA3HUF likes this.