ad: wmr-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 96

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Apr 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W3KHG

W3KHG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Stated!

2. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But the purpose of Amateur Radio in the Radio Regulations of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) is pretty much the same as in Part 97, and -- although I haven't researched it, my guess would be that most countries --like the USA-- have a definition of purpose based on what's in the ITU regs.

ARTICLE 1 - Terms and definitions

Section III - Radio services

amateur service:
    A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, by duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest. [emphasis added]

See: http://life.itu.int/radioclub/rr/frr.htm

3. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct ,, that is why I made this post a couple of days ago.

''Many communications authorities , or licensing authorities , or leagues , have similar objectives for Ham Radio , but are not carbon copies of the US part 97.
    Often similar , but not the same :)''

gregW:) OH2FFY

4. OH2FFY

''Guess a citizen of a country that sided with the fascists''

WTF buddy are you on ?

This thread is not in the political section , if you want to beat your baboon chest and make noise over some political issue , take it to the correct section where that is somewhat tolerated.

Personally though I think you have said more than enough already.

5. OH2FFY

I think what you (we) are seeing right now on the bands is the chicken and the egg problem.
    Whats comes first , bad propagation , and Hams are not heard. --
    -- or is it , Hams not operating , so we conclude that it is bad bands.

YES , the bands are indeed poor , and they will be for several years , but are they REALLY that bad ?
    Not really.

We often judge the propagation by the amount of , and the distance of the stations that we hear when we quickly scan over the bands.....
    Less stations = poor propagation....

.... But not necessarily.

As propagation drops from the peak on the cycle the guys with inefficient stations , either through poor antenna or high noise , can't make contacts.
    In short time they will rarely even bother to come on the HF bands that they once used.
    So they go silent.

Is that poor propagation ? ,, perhaps somewhat , but mostly it is an indication of how bad their stations SUCKED.
    During solar maximum badly set up station can work , and even work well ,, but as soon as the sun goes on vacation ,, these guys struggle and quickly pack it in.

Of course they go off and tell people how bad the bands are now days , and so on......

And while the guys are sobbing over their Cornflakes bowl ,, guys with more advanced , or better setup stations are still out there making good contacts.

Again over time as the ionosphere gets weaker, these stations too also start to struggle , but still usually get something at times.

Some of my BEST DX was at last solar minimum .. WHY , because all of the band savages with marginal stations that do not much more than create pile up QRM , were gone.
    Perhaps they had moved on to playing Nintendo or beating their dog , who knows , either way , they were not on the air , which meant that I could work stations that would normally be burred under their incessant calls that were never going to be answered.

Solar minimum , bring it on ,, I am waiting for you baby .... :cool:

ZL1BYZ likes this.
  6. KB9ZB

KB9ZB Ham Member QRZ Page

the premise of the question is flawed, there is in fact no amateur radio hobby. it is in fact a radio service, as defined by the ITU. The U.S. FCC also defines us as a radio service. Hence he license requirement worldwide. once we understand that FACT the . answer is obvious. This key fact is one reason why we are defined by the general public as we are. Most see us as a bunch of unskilled radio nut jobs. In fact we re highly skilled in the radio art, that is the image we need to portray. Gentlemen lets act like skilled radio enthusiasts not nut jobs.

7. OH2FFY

True , but we have to be careful when we imply what that service actually is.

When you read the definition of the word 'service' it can mean a wide range of things.

We COULD imply that the service as meaning , we help out in emergencies, as in , an emergency communication service.
    Some would agree with that , and while it may be a part of ham Radio ,,, it isn't the main purpose of Ham Radio.
    On the other hand some would not agree with that definition of Ham Radio service , as in many countries , Hams are NOT required , , needed , or welcome to help out in emergencies.,, YET , they too have a service.

The service indeed may be not be to others ,, but instead a Radio Service, FOR US.
    When we see Ham Radio service ,, we might not be offering the service to others , we may be the recipients of the service ., provided to us by the regulating authorities.

These are just two examples ,, but there are a lot more possible definitions as to what the 'service' in Ham Radio Service is ,, or isn't.

It's my view that the service is a provision of the government to allow technical people to experiment in communications electronics for the advancement of technology and in education.

While I 100% agree with you that Ham Radio isn't a hobby , I also accept that there is enough latitude in the rules and regulation to allow non serious use of Ham Radio in a Hobby like manner.
    The hobby side of Ham Radio is a minor part of it , but never the less it has been accepted as being part. . just as contesting is a part , storm spotting is a part , useless traffic nets are a part, and so on.

So Ham Radio isn't a hobby , but it can be used as a Hobby if a person wishes so.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  8. KB9ZB

KB9ZB Ham Member QRZ Page

i
    do agree with you 100% that "service" can have a lot of mining's, but in the mindset must be radio service, not hobby. at the end of the day, any definition of "service" implies someone providing something. It does not have the be public service, but we do have a lot of intangible "services" we provide, such as international good will, and advancement of the art.
    my point being we are a radio service, that while have an hobby aspect to it, is never the less a licensed service and must be reguarded as such
    ron
    KB9ZB

OH2FFY likes this.
  9. OH2FFY

EXACTLY ++++++

10. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio is a great hobby and very fun. There are a few nuts on every band, but for the most part I don't let them get me down. I hope radio can be preserved and policed in a way that punishes the nut-jobs that lower the standard. I'm proud to have studied and passed my exams that allow me to run a World-Wide radio... meeting other hams and communicating with them is pleasurable. All aspects of the hobby fascinate me and the novelty never grows old. There is a brotherhood/family out there that treat the hobby with respect and dignity... we must all subscribe to that idea and bear a sense of respect and set good examples. Just my $00.02...

Thanks for reading my post!

KG7VTO likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish you were right Greg.

But that doesn't seem to be true.

I use reverse beacon and call CQ a LOT. The pickup on RBN is truly abysmal on 17 and 20, for example. So the prop isnt there to start with.

Certainly the 'no one is listening' effect is true. But prop--bad prop-- is the main problem.

Chip W1YW

12. ZS6BV

ZS6BV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the post Will.
    The beauty of Amateur radio is that there are many different facets in one hobby.. er.. service. Some repair, some experiment and homebrew. Some are into antennas, others propagation. Some contest, some chat to their buddies and some are trying to set new records. Some are into antique radios, others the latest tech and some collect from QSL cards to keys to full rigs. Some are into CW and or digital modes, others on phone. Some are training youngsters in electronics and radio theory and Elmering. Some are providing emergency services, some are into QRP, others off the grid prepping for anarchy. Most are into some combination of the above. A lot of hobbies, sports and activities today are only for the younger generations and for the physically fit while amateur radio is for all types and all ages until silent key. The world has become an exceptionally disrespectful place. I have found that, although there are exceptions, most Hams are respectful, generous and courteous.
    Long live Amateur Radio.

N8QQE likes this.
  13. OH2FFY

Well , I must be lucky then .. because I am still having good contacts.

14. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

If contests, and objective goals - lighthouses, counties, etc. - were removed would the hobby survive?
    Dick N3HKN

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

OR, conversely, if ALL the hams who want to rag chew would get off QRP and add 10-20 db to their signals with QRO the hobby would flourish!

The FCC allows hams 1.5 KW output. Fight off the bad prop !! Add GAIN (the easy way) !!!

Then get off so much obsession with QRP keyboard texting digi modes sending pre-canned messages and go back to analog SSB chat or hand keyed CW.

73 de John - WØPV