ad: TinyPaddle-1

How I Deal With Stucco...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Mar 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had to contend with HOA's here in california and when i lived in Las Vegas (Summerlin) area

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. WB3JIH

WB3JIH Ham Member QRZ Page

That seems to be the rumour spreadin' 'round...

KI5WW and KD2DIG like this.
  3. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

But have you ever tried raising a chicken up an antenna?;)

On the main topic, I would think that the inside of a Faraday cage would be an ideal place to have a ham shack.
    It doesn't take that much effort to run a feedline outdoors and stealth/temporary antennas should be workable for
    most people living with an HOA.

4. WA7JLL

WA7JLL Ham Member QRZ Page

At one time I was in the Navy. Lived in a large steel box. Antennas on outside of box, radios on inside. Seemed to work OK.

And by the way, the box floated too!

KI5WW and KD2DIG like this.
  5. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Same here. What Shane said.
    Stucco Home. Stucco Garage ham shack.
    Zero problems.

Cheers

6. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To those whining... Give thought to the fact that you could have asbestos siding. Count yourself lucky that you don't.....

7. WX4W

WX4W Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N2MDA

N2MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

My first thought is when I hear "Metal Roof" is mag mount with a Tarheel remote control antenna, placed on the highest part of the roof. The entire roof will be your counterpoise and you'll be a happy camper. A greased palm, to allow you to do that would not hurt either. There's always a way.

9. K3LRH

K3LRH Ham Member QRZ Page

....a ham that I know who lives in FL has that exact setup. He does extremely well with it.

10. KF1P

KF1P Ham Member QRZ Page

11. K9BPS

K9BPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I chose to live in the country. 5 acres. My only problems with putting antennas up are a lack of really tall trees and my wife not thinking they're "pretty". Haha.
    I did put a 2m/70cm ladder line end fed antenna behind the Sheetrock in my garage between the studs. I've hit repeaters 45-50 miles away and the top of the antenna might be 8 feet.

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Or as George "Kingfish" Stevens infamously said, " I sold you a stucco house, and under the law, you is the stuckee. ... "

:D

N6PJB and K3SX like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Amos:)

N6PJB and K3SX like this.
  14. KA4EET

KA4EET Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a good friend that has a house with a metal roof (I am here in W Florida) and put up a small hustler vertical with the 3 resonators.....on his metal roof.....no one can hardly see it......he get out fantastic!!!!!!

15. AC7CW

AC7CW Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing about the chicken wire that always worried me: if it corrodes the junctions can become diodes, rectify everything that comes their way and produce harmonics. Could this be a source for noise?

WJ6F likes this.