ad: M2Ant-1

QRZ Announces New Image Database

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Did you know that QRZ has the world's largest collection of amateur radio related images? Sure, as a regular user of QRZ you've no doubt noticed that the site has always had some great images, but never before have they all been brought together as collection in their own right. Let's face it, there are probably thousands of pictures that you're not likely to ever see unless you have a reason to lookup a specific call sign. That's too bad because there are a lot of great images that almost never get seen by others.

Well, all of that changes today with the release of QRZ's exclusive Amateur Radio image gallery which we lovingly call the Picture Safari or PicSafari for short.

The reason it's a "safari" is because browsing through the collection will certainly take you to places that you've never been before, seeing things that you've never imagined were there. The entire collection is keyword searchable and we are asking for your help in adding keywords, known as Tags, to the collection. Once a tag has been added, the image becomes searchable by that tag. It's easy and extremely powerful. Images can have multiple tags and all are weighted equally. There's even a voting system whereby if you noticed that someone has mis-tagged an item, you can vote it down and/or add your own, improved tag. Need convincing? Just visit the page and type in a simple keyword such as Kenwood or Icom and watch an unbelievable number of results come rolling in.

There are other unique things about the page that you just have to see to believe. For starters, the main display page has no end, no bottom of the page. As you keep scrolling, more pictures keep arriving and will do so until your mouse finger gets tired. We can tell you that so far, nobody has seen the entire collection (however, every image has been "seen" and vetted by our administrators at least once).

We hope that our members will find new uses for this information that we didn't think of. Please feel free to let us know what you think and how it can be improved.

Check it out from the Database menu from the home page, or click here to check out PicSafari !

-fred AA7BQ

K4RKY, KI6QBM, KB9WVK and 15 others like this.
  2. K4ECD

K4ECD Ham Member QRZ Page

Love it! Kudos to QRZ for constantly innovating.

Great/fun way to query the pic dataset.

PS: Does it have anything to do with Craig Osterloh of Arizona with the same name "PicSafari"

JR2FJI and K9ASE like this.
  3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is very Cool.

KD5OM, KB1QHI and JR2FJI like this.
  4. AJ5F

AJ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a bit confused. Exactly how do you tag an item? (You probably explained it, but I guess I missed it)

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Click on the picture and at the bottom is a place to enter a tag.

WT4P and JR2FJI like this.
  6. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Can we opt out of this? I was going to upload some of my pics but now I am having second thoughts.

W5WTC, WD5ABC, WA7PRC and 3 others like this.
  7. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW !!! I can't wait to start uploading ! Great idea . 73 to all of the staff at QRZ please keep up the great work Phil KI6PMD ..

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Tool,Thank you QRZ!!

AF6LJ likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Does every image uploaded to QRZ appear in PicSafari, including Swapmeet for sale pictures and Avatar images?

AF6LJ likes this.
  10. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

So basically i have to scroll thru hundreds and hundreds of images that have nothing to do with the art of ham radio...........id rather see qrz do more about their logging portion of the site...its a freaking nightmare trying to get confirmations...especially if the other person is trying to confirm your qso....you literately have to send that person all of your info and then they have to make sure everything matches and god forbid if it doe not match.

secondly they need to do more with the due diligence and take on some responsibility of what is being sold on there used items list....more and more people are getting scammed and that does not look good on any site......they need better screening of people posting items........

I see after a lot of people complained they changed the main page layout now you can choose how YOU want it too look.......give the users more input we use this site every single day!!!!

Thirdly I think that the space they are using to view all those great images could be used in a better more constructive way..........

give me detail and instruct people to build a page......im tired of going to guys qrz page and there is nothing....empty as nothing to even read............some users have buillt pages that are just amazing...some can not even take time to add a email address......just my thoughts..........

NU4R, K3RW, N4MU and 7 others like this.
  11. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

there are hundreds and hundreds of random photos............these are just click traps...they lure you in and then before you know it you've viewed or clicked one hundreds of pictures 5 hours of your life has passed and then now what

WA7PRC and AK5B like this.
  12. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good question from what I can see so far all of the pictures appear to be from the K3XR biography page. Nice feature you can search under a call sign and bring up those pictures.

AF6LJ likes this.
  13. KG5ILR

KG5ILR Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it great job !!!

AF6LJ likes this.
  14. KB8UUZ

KB8UUZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great way to spend time looking at those pictures. Especially since the bands are pretty much dead. I like it!!!!!!!!!!:)

AF6LJ likes this.
  15. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks good to me. Very searchable nice and fast. Best 73!

K4KKQ and AF6LJ like this.