ad: HamHats-1

9 VIDEOS of Installing a 3-Element 75-Meter Yagi Antenna at Contest Station W0AIH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9MCW/SK2024, Sep 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. GM8OFQ

GM8OFQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Total R-E-S-P-E-C-T !!! Great job Guys and a brilliant video;)

2. WB9MCW/SK2024

WB9MCW/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it was a sad day when OH8X - Radio Arcala came down in December 2013.

Here is a nice video of it rotating.

3. WB9MCW/SK2024

WB9MCW/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out this monster tower and installation.
    Triband antennas on 160, 80 and 40 meters.
    RD3A station - Valery Komarov in Moscow, Russia.
    82K look ups on QRZ.

4. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow!! That is some setup!!

5. NK7J

NK7J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Quite an amazing station and kudos for all the effort to put such a stations together. Though as a Tower climbing and rescue instructor I find some "safety" equipment in use (or not in use) disturbing to say the least. Mainly by the owner, but hey at 82 whose going to argue with him.
    Great videos.

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Poop on my Dupe.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  7. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

8. M0HEM

M0HEM Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K0PG

K0PG Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of when I go out onto our third floor balcony to put the 2 meter loop on the bird feeder pole. Congratulations, Paul.

Tim K0PG

10. K0JS

K0JS Ham Member QRZ Page

Introduction is Overture to Egmont, which is a favorite of youth orchestra directors (apt?), and, some say, was the unofficial anthem of the 1956 Hungarian revolution.
    Enjoy.

11. N9JZN

N9JZN Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul, nice talking to you on the bell system. Great videos of the install. Eddie and I watched them today.
    Look forward to seeing you at Belvedere with the 1/2" Philly

12. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Great soundtrack. Hope to work you sometime.

13. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been out there , our club / clubs Mining Radio Club & MN ARTS have done field trips out there for monthly meetings .
    A bunch of friends have operated out there , me - one of these days ;)
    A little over a hundred miles away from me .
    The video shows lots of towers , but that is only some of the antennas , lots of wire , multiple rhombic in different directions , and lots of telephone poles with lots of hard line all over the place .
    Paul makes his own 6 more position antenna switches with coffee cans - he was looking for free refrigerators - to build remote antenna tuners at base of antennas .
    The tour took hours and only saw part of it all .
    Heard stories about him following semi truck & trailers down when he would see used towers on trailers to see if they were available , he got some that way .
    I would like to have had audio giving tech info on the installation .

KM1H likes this.
  14. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto.
    Great videos but I had to turn off the soundtrack right from the start, cant stand that type of music! Too bad there wasnt a running commentary edited in later to to better understand it all and not just the 75M install.

Some of those antennas seem left over from the dark ages and I wonder what gets used regularly. W3LPL and K3LR rule the contest world with a lot less. W0AIH does a lot of training for wannabee contest operators as do a few other stations around the country that are usually well up in the standings, K1KP in this area for instance.

Seeing Paul so active gives me new hope as Ive got to be up on my 180' and pair of 100' towers soon, Im only 75:eek:. Ive talked to him a lot on the air over the years and may have met him at Dayton at the contesters dinner or one of the talks but dont remember. I do know he is an ordained minister, retired now and obviously having a ball.

Now if I only owned the 220 acre former dairy farm that I abut! A couple of the Beverages run thru his wooded part and I have to take them down when he is cutting firewood or for his homebrew sawmill.

Carl

15. KD0DQZ

KD0DQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've driven by that site several times en route to Road America or Oshkosh. Next trip I'm going to build in a couple of extra hours to stop by. Very impressive!