ad: TinyPaddle-1

First amateur radio in geosynchronous orbit

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Dec 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

K3RW, KW4EK, W7CJD and 1 other person like this.
  2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hallelujah!

WI3U likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

That's really cool! I don't know much about satellite amateur radio - but if it's always in one place, utterly reachable at any time, won't it likely be completely jammed up with all the US/Canada hams wanting to use what I'm sure will be just a handful of frequencies?

Or am I not understanding how it will work...

Either way, that's way cool news!

Dave
    W7UUU

4. W2ITG

W2ITG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would've been nice to get the frequency of it!!!!!

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Two ways to access the satellite are planned:

-Direct: 5Ghz Uplink, 10Ghz Downlink
    -Gateway: Ground based stations will have input/output on traditional ham bands/modes and handle interface with satellite.

-Estimated launch late 2016 or 2017

The Phase 4b team is working with commercial vendors to have TX/RX kits available for homebrewers. Target price about $1,000. Present Dish/DirectTV satellite dishes are suitable for use on both bands. Uplink will require about 1 Watt at 5 Ghz.

Links:
    -QRZed Satellite Forum
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/amsat-phase-iv-palomar-arc-presentation.501187/

-Phase 4B Team is looking for interested hams in Southern California, Texas and Maryland to help develop and test the ground terminals, direct Tx/Rx and software.
    http://www.amsat.org/?p=4822

"No Buck$, No Buck Rogers": Want more satellites? All it takes is money. Make a donation, please.
    http://store.amsat.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=86

amradiospace2013 (1).png

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    KC7HDE and KK4VRE like this.
  6. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

As I should have expected (2m/70cm and probably even 1.2ghz is too crowded for a satellite that covers that much area)

But lots of hams do not have equipment that operates on this band

N0SYA likes this.
  7. KA0HCP

The plan is to have ground terminals/gateways that will allow hams to access the satellite with ordinary ham gear on the typical bands. Others who want to build/buy direct 5/10Ghz terminals can do so.

The Phase 4B satellite will be capable of handling over 1,000 QSO (theoretical) simultaneously; voice and data.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Amazing stuff! I really think I'm going to have to look into building a direct link system.... that would be cool! And I'd sure need to learn a lot of new stuff, which is always a good thing :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KC9UDX, KU4X, WC3T and 3 others like this.
  9. KA0HCP

I must emphasize: Go watch the Palo Alto Radio Club, presentation at the QRZed link above. It explains quite well the Phase 4B program.

10. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

All I want for Christmas it RS-10 back in the air, a great satellite.
    5 and 10 gHz , phooey. how about a linear transponder 1296 up 430 down. about 1 mHz wide.

KD4AYU likes this.
  11. KA0HCP

1. $ure, $tart the donation$
    2. That orbit opportunity isn't available, and those frequencies aren't practical on this flight opportunity.

Anything else impossible you want to grump about? ;)

K1TGX likes this.
  12. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really, I'll keep my money in my pocket, and hold my breath. 73

13. KA0HCP

Well, Merry Christmas anyhow! bill

14. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

At a target price of a $1000, one will not have to worry about the 1000 simultanious QSOs. What a joke. How bout creating something that the average Joe can use without breaking the bank? Damn elitists!!!!!!

AD0MI, KF7PCL and BEAR938 like this.
  15. WB2VUO

WB2VUO Ham Member QRZ Page

Elitists? Hardly... Have you looked at the going price of the "entry-level" HF stations, or the DC-Light all-mode rigs like the FT-991 or TS-2000? Sorry, but $1,000 is chump change. We have new Techs around here that have that much in a VHF/UHF mobile with a 10 meter monobander beside it.

Yes, there are hams who made the grade for under $200. IF you are careful, the first station can be acquired for under $100, and I am not talking a Amazon-Special dual-band HT. USed gear? $50 - $10,000, how much do you want to spend?

Looking at my modest station here, all used gear, I have about $1,600 invested over the last 10 years. QRP HF/VHF/UHF (FT-817nd); 100 watt HF/6M / 50Watt 2M/ 20 Watt UHF (FT-857D) and an HF/6 Meter mobile (Alinco DX-70T) All of them came of email lists or Craigslist. If Phase 4 goes up as scheduled, yes, I will spend a Kilobuck for a ground station. Cheap at any price.

I am really sorry that your $150 Heathkit Novice station is no longer available, but the proportional price of today's ham gear is the lowest I have seen in 50 years on the air.

de WB2VUO

WA8FOZ, KC7HDE, KA0HCP and 3 others like this.