ad: Retevis-1

Free Digital Mode Android App

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB3FXI, Sep 30, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB3FXI

KB3FXI Ham Member QRZ Page

First Formal Release of AndFLMSG!
    Available for download at:
    http://w1hkj.com/vk2eta/

AndFLMSG is a combination of Fldigi and Flmsg for portable devices running Android. The main objective of this development is to provide a low power highly-portable, as in mobile or backpack, Flmsg/Fldigi solution. Rigs like the Yaesu's FT-817, Icom's 703 and Elecraft's KX3 would be the typical companions of the Android phone or tablet running AndFlmsg, thereby providing a low weight, low energy requirement, access to most Flmsg services.

The integration of Internet sharing/forwarding makes this solution attractive as a relay option, possibly a mobile or portable station in a pertinent geographical location. The inclusion of modes like MT-63 and long interleave MFSK modes allows audio coupling to be used effectively without the need for an audio interface. The addition of images and GPS data inclusion opens the usage to practical field reporting too.

What does it do? Basically most of what the fully featured version on the PC does.

- Receive Flmsg formatted messages (any Form).
    - Forward any form message as-is over the radio in Flmsg format OR over the internet via email, instant messaging (Facebook, Tweeter, ...) or cloud services (Dropbox, Google drive...), print services (E.g. Google Cloud Print).
    - Copy and edit received messages for replying or further forwarding (all custom forms plus the following “hard coded forms”: Blank form, Radiogram, IARU message, Plaintext, CSV, all ICS and HICS forms at present, plus the “Picture Form”).
    - Create new messages using any custom forms or the current set of "hard coded” forms. - Send created messages over the radio or internet.
    - Define and save templates for facilitating the creation of new messages.
    - Consult the activity log and the messages as-sent.
    - The implemented modems are the FLMSG modems (including extra modes), that is all PSK/PSKR modes, including multi-carrier modes, some of the 8PSK modes, THOR, MFSK, OLIVIA, MT-63 and Domino-Ex modes.

The performance is good as the modems now coded in native C++ code for performance and is heavily based on the Fldigi modems code.

In regards to AndFLMSG, where I see the most practical use would be mostly for receiving bulletins and messages with nothing more than a smart phone and a VHF/UHF mobile or handheld transceiver, but I will be looking into an interface to my HF rigs as well.

Imagine no internet and phone service and you're deployed to a shelter. On the way, you could have your smart phone somewhere near your radio speaker and recieve all the data on an incident you need without having to do anything but drive. Then when you get to the scene, you can review and/or forward the recieved data.

Let us know how your testing with AndFLMSG goes!

-Dave Kleber, KB3FXI

N7FXT likes this.
  2. W8DU

W8DU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is FSQ implemented?
    73 de Arnie W8DU

3. KB3FXI

Arnie, I don't think FSK is implemented in AndFLSMG but I would suppose that it could be added. I'm more interested in seeing FLAMP integrated into the application.
    The current release of FLDIGI for PC, Mac and Linux does have FSK.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  4. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to give this a try! I've been using the Wolphi interface with my FT-817nd and Samsung tablet running DroidPSK. AndFLMSG sounds like it will be more versatile. It is great to have a lightweight system to do digital modes and AndFLMSG could be a great addition to that system.

5. KB3FXI

Tell me about the Wolphi interface. I'm looking for a direct interface to my FT-817nd but haven't had the chance to explore much yet. I recall that one issue is that some Android devices do not have a record pin on the plug in jack. In any case, I've been on the Alpha team with AndFLMSG and did all my testing just using the built in mic and the Olivia, MFSK, PSKR and MT63 modes, without an interface and it has worked great.

6. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

The Wolphi Interface is a small (smaller than a deck of cards) that connects to the FT-817s CAT port and plugs into the microphone jack of an Android device. Yes, the issue is that not all Android devices have a microphone or line-in jack. Virtually all phone do but tablets may not. I have an original Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the headphone jack is also a microphone jack to it works fine with the Wolphi interface. I haven't tried to do digital modes without an interface just using the built-in mic. I'd worry that ambient noise would cause problems when "park bench portable". Lastly the interface is quite affordable at $39.99 USD.

Get more info at- http://www.wolphi.com/interface/

Note: I'm not associated with Wolphi in any way other than as a customer.

The interface can be adjusted for different Yaesu rigs but I didn't have to do any tweaking with my FT-817nd.

7. KB3FXI

Thanks for the information. I'm going to be in the market for a 7" or 9" CHEAP tablet so I will have to do my homework on which ones have a mic in. What's really cool with AndFLMSG is that you can run it on an out of commission Android phone or a cheap tablet and with an light weight external battery (or solar), you can run for a VERY long time.

8. KC7NOA

KC7NOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked on my S4 .... crashed when sending psk31 ...

Waterfall screen was too small and need to be able to change Tx/Rx frequency -- rather hunt with radio ...

9. W7WXV

W7WXV Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you going to put it on the Google play store?

KC2NIU likes this.
  10. KB3FXI

Well, it's not my app but apparently there's some hoops to jump through to get apps on play and I don't think the author is going to do that for now.

W7WXV likes this.
  11. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazon store also has apps.

Don't all "phablets" have a microphone?

Maybe not a microphone jack?

Mine work thru the mini-USB to USB dongle to a USB headset, or use a Bluetooth headset.

12. KD5OUG

KD5OUG Ham Member QRZ Page

13. KD5OUG

KD5OUG Ham Member QRZ Page

The Bluetooth capability of phone and tablets adds to the utility of AndFlmsg. I was testing with the Beta versions of AndFlmsg.

1. I was able to use Bluetooth to transfer the .APK file to another ham's cellphone and get him operational to receive messages in 10 minutes - no internet needed. Pair the phones then use a file manager (I like File Expert HD) to locate the .APK file on your device and Send that file to the other user. Help him install the app and change the Callsign. Make sure the Rx RsID and Tx RsID is checked. Be sure to show how to Exit the program.

2. I don't have a Bluetooth headset or radio but I was able to Send a digital file via Bluetooth across the room to my laptop. I used the Share function in AndFlmsg.

Doug KD5OUG

14. VA3ROM

VA3ROM Ham Member QRZ Page

No FSQ at this time.

FSQ is fairly new and the Fldigi team is still fine-tuning it with big-brother Fldigi which supports the mode plus adds more NB-SSTV formats.

You can still send images using MFSK as per Fldigi. The Wolphi Android Smartphone Interface works well for transceived and Wolph has published the microphone receive circuit on his website so anyone can roll their own.

Robert, VA3ROM

www.va3rom.com

PS
    AndFlmsg has been out for quite a while (been using it all year) so I'm surprised that this is the first post about it on QRZ! It's an awesome app and it's free! Plus you have a plethora of other apps from Wolph like DroidSSTV, DroidPSK, and so on. Just too much fun for all things digital!

http://www.wolphi.com/

KB3FXI likes this.
  15. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to try this. As for cheap tablet, I bought a 7" RCA at Wall Mart for $45. It runs Android V5.