ad: HamHats-1

Windows bug causes decoding performance with certain Soundcard Interfaces.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NT1K, Jul 29, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. NT1K

NT1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone using a Soundcard Interface using the TI PCM2900 (Rev-C or prior) series chipset might not be aware that the windows driver is adding 60db+. This bug is known and it's seen on Windows Vista and later.

Devices like the Signalink and radios like the Icom 7100/7200 and TS-590S use this chipset. Modes like JT65 would be more difficult to decode because of the added distortion. There is a fix thanks to KD9DAL, he posted his fix to reddit and made a video showing exactly what is going on

Source:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurrad...windows_bug_ruining_your_receive_performance/

AC9ZL, KC7ES, AI6AS and 3 others like this.
  2. W0EA

W0EA Ham Member QRZ Page

I tested this with my 590 and windows 8.1 and 10 and noticed the problem on both. This video fixed it and helped me get a lot more decodes on JT. This is a really bad bug and I sure hope we can get Microsoft to offer us a solution.

However it is not a problem on linux or Mac operating systems.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the link to the level meter as shown in the vid?
    Thanks

4. KA0CZW

KA0CZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just spent 2 days trying to get Signal Link to decode JT-65 HF from my Kenwood TS-2000. Gave up and went to my Flex 3000 and VAC. Everything worked like magic!

Now I know what I was fighting and I confirmed it after watching this video. Thanks a million for the information.

5. W6IR

W6IR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KD6BZN

KD6BZN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My levels are now normal on my IC-7600 and Windows 7 machine. I was running the volume at 2 before, but now 100 and working much better than before. Thanks!

7. K5SRG

K5SRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Confirmed this issue & fix on my B43-00 serial # TS-590S in 'doze 7 x64 Ultimate box.
    USB\VID_08BB&PID_29B3&REV_0100&MI_00
    USB\VID_08BB&PID_29B3&MI_00

Will I notice any improvement to my PSKxx and RTTY mode decoding?

Skip - K5SRG

8. N7AMD

N7AMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Skip,

Yes you should see better performance on PSK and RTTY. We did some basic initial testing to verify this. As time permits, we will do more testing to fully understand how much of an improvement will be realized.

Cheers
    Ben
    KE7II
    FBOM International

9. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why don't they fix the driver?

10. K5SRG

K5SRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Seemed better working Germany on PSK63 immediately after the fix applied but sure appreciate the confirmation.

Thanx Much - K5SRG

11. NT1K

NT1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Because TI has since came out with revisions of the chip (Now at Rev E).
    With vista or later, Windows recognize that the chip doesn't have an input volume so windows automatically assign a value that happens to treat the input as a microphone instead of a "Line In" device giving an extra 60db of "gain".
    Makes for a distorted signal. Simply turning down the volume in the sound settings will not help since you are just attenuating an already distorted signal.

Will M$ fix it? Most likely not. There are new revisions of chips that do work with vista and up. The new Elecraft K3S uses a new rev PCM2XXX

12. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a newer solder-in chip for Signalinks?

13. W0EA

W0EA Ham Member QRZ Page

No, unfortunately the newer chips are not drop in replacements

14. K7JGM

K7JGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you!!!

15. KK4SUH

KK4SUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Never knew about this, thanks for sharing.