ad: M2Ant-1

New pirate stations in Ukraine conflict

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

New pirate stations in Ukraine conflict

Two CW stations have appeared on the higher HF bands, claiming to operate from Donetsk, and promoting a separatist 'Peoples' Republic of Donetsk', or 'NovoRossiya New Russia'.

The callsigns, D0A and 1C4M are believed to be two operators on the same transmitter. The callsigns are invalid and do not count for anything in ham radio terms.

While a QSL manager may be appointed shortly in Donetsk, communications are poor, and a direct QSL is unlikely to succeed.

There is some doubt that the stations are really in Donetsk. There is evidence that they may be operating from Kazakhstan.

Our thanks to Andy G0SFJ for the above information

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2014/may/new_pirate_stations_in_ukraine_conflict.htm

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Become a Facebook fan

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

DØA was copied on 14017 kHz here in west central FL two nights ago 0340-0405Z 05-29-2014.

IMO the signal seemed too loud for band conditions at that time to be Kazakhstan, unless it was quite a QRO station.

Perhaps someone would recognize the operators fist?

Listen to a sound clip I made on this link,

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1yKApVmJOGe

3. N8QN

N8QN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the information. I believe I saw D0A spotted on eham.net dx cluster.

Ron

4. EI9JU

EI9JU Ham Member QRZ Page

There's an operator on 15m lately using a legitimate Ukrainian callsign whilst proclaiming to be in the new Republic of Donetsk, the loudest signal on the band and the dirtiest with artifacts buck-shooting all over the place!

5. AG2AA

AG2AA Ham Member QRZ Page

"What frequency is he on?" "ALL of them!"

-

6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

DØA on 20m again tonight (right now! ie, 0404Z) on 14022 kHz this time.

If you listen to the sound bite at the link contained in my first post, fast-forward, or have patience to get past the pile up QRM, and at about 57 seconds the op broadcasts a message.

7. R2ABN

R2ABN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why you call them 'Pirate stations'? Just because they're using 'invalid' call signs? Yes, maybe, but they don't want to associate themselves with Kiev - that's all. A lot of stations now working from Crimean region as well, so what?
    I mean - people is people and our colleagues, ham-radio operators is also living and working from their shacks and will continue to do so in any situation.

VK5EEE likes this.
  8. UA6JD

UA6JD Platinum Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes you is right.
    There are many words - "unlicensed" "pirate" "SLIM" (btw do you know why we call pirate call as SLIM?) and more - all this means work on the air without a legitimate license. Pirate word used figuratively . Nobody thinks about D0A as a person who use is typically an act of robbery or criminal violence at sea .
    In this thread as well as other threads in this and Russian's forum everybody agree that is "UNLICENSED" = "PIRAT" call. No politics - just a statement of fact

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

There seems to be quite an array of explanations for where the term "Slim" originates in the context of amateur radio. However, I believe it is used primarily to denote a signal from an imposter, ie, someone who assumes the identity of another legit station. This often happens just before a much anticipated DX'ped. DØA and ops from other claimed breakaways states are not ID thieves, they are simply asserting their own unique ID. So IMO they are not "Slims".

"Pirate" is bit more like it. An extralegal operation. Conflicting legal jurisdiction. But unlike the buccaneer cruising the open and free high seas, in this case, its not the amateur station that is moving, changing, so much as the political landscape around it.

Maybe "bootlegger" an old term from the equally turbulent days of Prohibition in the USA that is generally perceived now with more compassionate sentimentality.

How about a new term? DXventure?? Special Protest Event?? BOTA (Breakaways On The Air)???

;-)

73 de John WØPV

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  10. UA6JD

UA6JD Platinum Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

SPA (Special Protest Event) is the best

11. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that "clandestine", meaning a radio station operated for the specific purpose of taking part in a political conflict/war, would be appropriate. A "pirate" is an unlicensed hobbyist; very few take political positions, except maybe such mild stuff as "free radio" or legalization of drugs. A clandestine, OTOH, takes a very clear political position, and is operated for political purposes. I don't know what messages these stn's have been tx'ing, but I assume from descriptions that they are on the air as a result of the Russia/Ukraine conflict. Therefore, they should be labeled clandestines.

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Clandestine

That's the perfect word!

13. UR9MC

UR9MC Ham Member QRZ Page

hey, clever dick! Calm down! It is illegal criminal station, Go on!!Tell me another hands off from Ukraine!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  14. RC3C

RC3C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

UR9MC: Look up for message from UA6JD, and do not make a political flame on this side. Let's be apoliticial at all in our hobby.

73!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
    VK5EEE likes this.
  15. N5SHI

N5SHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I know you are talking about!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.