ad: k1jek

US Coast Guard seeks assistance from QRZ Users

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

The US Coast Guard has asked QRZ to help on a cold case to track down a radio pirate who was responsible for a hoax that caused a large scale mobilization. They have provided us a recording of the traffic so that perhaps one of us might recognize the voice behind the microphone.

We have an audio file on QRZ that you can examine at http://files.qrz.com/news/USCG_traffic.wav

Here is the text of their request to the QRZ community:

CGIS_logo.png
    The US Coast Guard is looking for the person responsible for several hoax calls made around the United States on a VHF marine band radio. The attached audio was recorded in New York City on June 11, 2012.

Please DO NOT email us with motives, theories or stories regarding other hoaxes. While we appreciate your insight, our goal here is only to identify the caller.

If you recognize and can identify the voice on this call, please email CGISNE-WEB@USCG.MIL and provide your best contact information so investigators can contact you directly. Thank you.

Note: if you have a suspicion of a person who might be responsible for this crime, please DO NOT SHARE THE PERSON'S NAME OR CALLSIGN HERE ON QRZ. Instead, contact the email address provided above.

2. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've gotta ask Fred... has it been VERIFIED beyond a shadow of a doubt that it actually WAS the CG that contacted you to ask assistance?

This sounds to me like a hoax in itself. It seems SO unlikely that the CG would ask amateurs if they can "identify the voice" behind the mic... that is just not believable to me... sorry.

3. N4JTE

N4JTE Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally believe Fred has been asked to try this, however, I assume the ah that did this was probaly on vhf, and his voice is not familiar.
    I can recogonize many voices on hf and it is a valid exploration by the Coast Guard and I, for one, appreciate the thinking outside the box.
    We had this stuff on the Maritime Mobile Service in past years and always worked closely with the Coast Guard to differientiate real and bogus emergancies.
    Bob
    N4JTE

4. KF5SAR

KF5SAR Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WA3FHM

WA3FHM Ham Member QRZ Page

I, for one, am offended that the Coast Guard would assume that a ham was involved. Why don't they contract a pleasure craft web site, or cbradio.org. Freebanders are just as much a problem as they ever were; why settle for 26 MHz to 28 MHz when you can have even more fun on the marine band.

Bill Medlock
    WA3FHM

6. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

wow. that caller sure did pile it on! explosions and everything.

7. KS9Q

KS9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think they are assuming it was a ham. I think they view ham radio as a resource to solve the problem. Fox hunt, anyone?

8. KB2RMC

KB2RMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Offended?? They asked for HELP from the hams!! Wow, I wish the word offended would be removed from the English language. Everyone gets "offended" about EVERYTHING nowadays. THEY ASKED US FOR HELP!!!!

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

We see frequent actions taken by the FCC against hams who violate the rules and regs it would be great if there were no violators but in the real world that is not the case. It is a tribute to our hobby that the USCG thinks so much of us to believe we could be of assistance.

10. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

They need to catch this jerk and put him in jail for a while.

11. KD6SBR

KD6SBR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KB2RMC,

I am offended you even replied!! (lol)

12. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope they contacted Pop Com and other radio listener sites as well. The more ears out there the more likely this fool will be caught.

13. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the kind of thing that should earn someone a LONG, LONG stint at Club Fed, making little rocks out of big ones.

Here's hoping someone recognizes the cretin's voice. I think there is a considerable regional accent, and perhaps someone can identify the region. That may not indicate the location of the jerk, but might point to his origin.

14. N0AMT

N0AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's legitimate. Not easy to spoof a DSN phone number, .mil email and IP address, and credentials. We checked. :)

15. N4JTE

N4JTE Ham Member QRZ Page

Point being, was not probaly a ham operator, any fool can get on vhf channels and do this stuff, as can anyone do the same on an aircraft freq, or their local police freq, on this one, Fred is mentioning, there was a lot of diverted a lot of manpower for a fake emergancy.
    Any thing we can do to help obviously limited, with only a voice is what he has has posted!
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.