ad: CQMM-1

QRZ Featured Shacks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Are you proud of your ham radio shack? Most of us are, and a few among us have put together installations that are worthy of special mention. If you have such a shack, we'd love to see it, literally!

This summer, the folks at QRZ will choose a few of the best ham shacks around and schedule a personal visit for an interview and feature article on our front page. We'll highlighting you and your shack, your antenna farm, and even your mobile rigs to share your story with the worldwide QRZ community.

We're looking for radio installations that will show off the capabilities of ham radio and how others might be inspired to do the same. We're hoping to visit all types of QRZ member QTH's, from simple, single radio desks to the some of the largest, most sophisticated ones ever built. What matters most isn't cost and complexity but rather neatness, attention to detail, and usability.

If your shack is chosen, it will appear in one of a series of QRZ feature articles with plenty of pictures and commentary about how it was put together, what its unique highlights are, and how you use it to enjoy the hobby. In addition, you'll receive a handsome QRZ Featured Shack award, suitable for framing.

This summer, we'll be visiting stations in the southeast, eastern seaboard, and New England. If you would like your setup to be considered as a Featured Shack, drop us a line at myshack@qrz.com along with a snapshot or two of your QTH. We'll confirm receipt of your email and will be choosing the finalists within the next few weeks.

2. K7SWS

K7SWS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure anyone is ready to see my mess!

3. KF9HA

KF9HA Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a Baofeng H.T.
    and a 30 year old Bearcat 210xlt scanner.
    Let me know when you want to do my interview. lol

PS. I got nowhere to go but up

4. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I'm right behind you.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope your tour will include the SOUTHWEST at some time in future years, Fred! I'd like to enter mine!

on edit
    "What matters most isn't cost and complexity but rather neatness, attention to detail, and usability."
    Rats! I lost already!

KD4AFP likes this.
  6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is great, I think Fred should interview Pat and take in the whole museum.

KD4AFP likes this.
  7. N0SSC

N0SSC Ham Member QRZ Page

I nominate this guy:

[video=youtube;OVH9Pav_rNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVH9Pav_rNw[/video]

8. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is awesome I love the zed roadshow

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like that slanted operating desk! Don't know what the thingy in the upper left of the slanted area is with all those knobs or jacks. Very classy. I need to use this design in my next attempt at a Radio station desk, as the slanting makes it very easy to use and see the radio. I see he uses a 19 inch rack panel mount with handles to hold the radios in place. Don't know how I would hold a FTdx5000 in that arrangement. But now, I have to have a special light shining on the front of the rig just to see the knobs and lettering. Took some great carpentering skills to build that spectacular desk!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  10. W0CBF

W0CBF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like the look of a slanted desktop but have never had one. Does anyone know what is the angle of the backward slant is relative to vertical. 73's WØCBF

11. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Leave out the "in" word.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

12. W4POS

W4POS Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears to be an angle of 30 degrees, plus or minus 5 degrees.

13. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Stop by in another 2-3 more years.

14. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's cute Tom. :)

15. KC2WLR

KC2WLR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone should check out NE7X shack. Ultimate modern and vintage shack. Thomas did an absolute awesome job. Be sure to check his webpage also.

73 and envy, KC2WLR
    Sorry, don't know to link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.