ad: M2Ant-1

Riley Hollinsgworth, K4ZDH, to be CQ Columnist

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

What was that rant all about?

2. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who knows? What I know is that I have frequently used Riley's axiom "Because you have the right to do something does not necessarily make it the right thing to do" frequently and to good effect. That is positively Emersonian, though I have heard it from no one other than Riley.

IMHO, if one assembled a list of the ten most important contributors to amateur radio in its century, Riley would be safely included. I have always found him accessible, collegial, and rational. I also admire how much better he tolerates fools than I can.

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, Riley was constrained by absolute compliance with LAW, not what Amateurs wanted or thought should be done, by vigilante justice.

He DID start a policy of the FCC at least TRYING to enforce rules and regulations, after over a decade of FCC ignorance or deliberate refusal to address problems and rule violations.

IMHO, talk about a thankless job(!) with which Riley had to tolerate!

4. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A welcome breath of fresh air to a great publication my 6th year and as subscriber and just subscribed for another 3.

WELCOME RILEY will look forward to reading you column every month CONGRATS for all you have done for us and now you will continue on another front for us again.

Thanks!

5. K7TRK

K7TRK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

actually Don, it was 'N6'

one of the funniest things that happened at Richard's second trial involved a couple of the Hoo Boys from .435. After the 1st days proceedings (before a jury) the Hoo Boys, Arnie Gamson and Mel Goldstein decided to discuss the case on the repeater all evening !! (an open repeater) they convicted Richard on the air !. Next morning, a little bird (I think me) told Richard's defense attorney, who made a motion for a mistrial. The judge called up the Hoo Boys and proceeded to ream them out in open court....there was no more discussion on the repeater until the trial was over. What a sight !!

I reiterate - Riley is a classic government employee windbag !! and as you point out, an incompetant buffon in your case

6. WB4AEJ

WB4AEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am delighted to hear that Riley is still an active part of the amateur radio community.
    He was very effective when he was in the Enforcement Bureau.
    I'm sorry to say that the last enforcement letter posted on the FCC Web site was dated 9/12/2011 (seven months ago).
    Clearly the folks at the Enforcement Bureau no longer take that function as seriously as he did.

7. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Years ago I was on a snowmobile trip with a good friend of mine and he happened to mention that his cousin was a lawyer for the FCC. Somehow ham radio had come up in the conversation and it turned out that the "cousin" was Riley. I then learned that Riley grew up in the same town that I did and knew my dad who was licensed just a few years before Riley was! I think Riley told me my dad had given him some tips about getting his license. I had never known!

My friend grew up with Riley and tells me all sorts of stories about their fun as kids. When I ever need anything from Riley, I just tell him I'm going to spill the beans if he doesn't help me!! <chuckle>

8. KX0DW

KX0DW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

K7TRK,

Before you use words like "penultimate" in order to sound more articulate, make sure you know what it means.

Penultimate means "next to last"; thus you're saying that Riley is not the least of the government windbags, but the next to least. I'd take that as a compliment if I were Riley.

9. WD5JOY

WD5JOY Ham Member QRZ Page

It wasn't a rant my good man ................ it was a pat on Riley's broad shoulders. Sheesh. It wuddun't THAT hard to read!

10. K7TRK

hmm...you may have a point....perhaps, if you will allow me to be articulate, I meant that Riley is an Adam Henry windbag, but a windbag, none the less...73

11. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It appears Riley did his job pretty well, much to the chagrin of those he did it so well to. If only someone with Riley's skills had taken over the reigns . . . .

12. K7TRK

better be careful there, W4PG, the resident Grammer Cop, K3DCW will gig you....it would be "Riley taking over the reins"

and be careful, with all those ARRL Life Members walking close behind Riley, if he stops short, you all could get a snoot full

73, K7TRK

13. WD5JOY

I hada grammar. I hada grampar too. Don't need no grammar cop - oh no.

If Larry Guy was half the radio cop Riley was .............. the 146.610 and 147.435 repeaters in Los Angeles would have been even MORE fun! Free and Open repeating was a BALL except for the "hi-hi-om" crowd! They didn't do well at all; those stuffy shirts hindered their ability to have "fun"!

14. WD5JOY

Why 'TRK' you are correct! It was 'N6' ........ 'W6' was the OTHER 'entertainer' on the '435' repeater! He spoke slowly ..... and it took him two tries to ID! Of course - "ID's" were a formality back in the day. All those numbers and letters confused people!:D

I wonder if Arny Gamson the one and only K6PXA is still alive? He was in Vegas and then disappeared. He "loved" Riley a lot!:eek:

15. WB4AEJ

WB4AEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the matter? Did Riley rattle your cage when he was at the FCC enforcement bureau?

Fred, WB4AEJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.