ad: UR5CDX-1

Canada issues its first Developmental License VX9GHD on the 5 meg, 60 meter Band

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3FI, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3FI

VE3FI Ham Member QRZ Page

Industry Canada issues its first license on the new 60 meter developmental band, VX9GHD to VE3FI Russ Hemphill today. Canadians have been waiting for 3 years for this new opportunity to join the USA, and Britain. This band is badly needed for Emergency Communications, when conditions on 40 and 80 are not suitable for transmitting or receiving traffic. This license is for one year, then it will be open to all canadian amateurs using their own call sign.

Russ Hemphill VX9GHD/VE3FI

2. N8NOE

N8NOE Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the Canadian Band-Plan on 60 then? Same as US and GB, or did they Limit it....

3. J85K

J85K Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope that it something like these frequency allocations.....

Barbados: 5.250 - 5.400 MHz USB @ 100w PEP output

Grenada: 5.250 - 5.450 MHz All Mode @ 500w/1,000w PEP output

Trinidad & Tobago: 5.250 - 5.450 MHz All Mode @ 1,500w PEP output

SVG has applied based on T&T precedent. I agree that 60m might be the 'sweet' spot of communications for transmitting and receiving traffic on one band, on one frequency, daytime and night-time. We necessarily have interest, as this "Caribbean" region is subject to annual tropical storms and hurricanes, earthquakes and volcanic activity. Additionally, we have a lot of ocean to cover with respect to maritime interests.

Wikipedia -- Geology The Lesser Antilles more or less coincide with the outer edge of the Caribbean Plate. Many of the islands were formed as a result of the subduction of oceanic crust of the North American Plate under the Caribbean Plate in the Lesser Antilles subduction zone. This process is ongoing and is responsible not only for many of the islands, but also for volcanic and earthquake activity in the region. The islands along the South American coast are largely the result of the interaction of the South American Plate and the Caribbean Plate which is mainly strike-slip, but includes a component of compression.

4. N3DG

N3DG Guest

Congratulations Russ !

I am pleased to be your first 60 SSB QSO today, between Canada and USA.
    And, I wish you much DX and fun on the band.

Dennis Gazak
    N3DG

5. VA3QR

VA3QR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I called the Amateur Radio Service Centre in Ottawa today and have put in my application for a license. Any Canadian operator interested in this will have to fill out a Fixed Station License Request form (IC2365) and send it to your district Industry Canada office. The person at the ARSC who gave me this information is named Don. I'm guessing this is going to last a year and will hopefully end with 60m becoming part of IC RBR-4 and a permanent Canadian amateur radio band.

VA3QR
    (hoping soon to be VX9QR)

6. VE3MPG

VE3MPG Ham Member QRZ Page

Any idea what modes can be used and power out?

VE3MPG

7. VE3RHE

VE3RHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob - Phone only (Upper side band) and max 100 W PEP.
    I applied for the new license earlier today.

Robert
    VE3RHE

8. VE3SHA

VE3SHA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a copy of what I received from Industry Canada upon my request.

"Mr Arkell,

Thank you for your request regarding the current status for the licensing of Developmental Radio Stations utilizing frequencies within the 60 metre radio frequency band in Canada.

In the near future Industry Canada will be publishing a consultation paper on the opening of the 60 metre band for use by the Canadian Amateur Radio Service.

Favourable responses to the consultation would allow radio amateurs access to 5 specific frequencies within the band with specific emissions designators and power levels on a secondary, no protection, non-interference basis. This would be in line with what US amateurs currently have access to.

At this time, the Department is accepting applications for the use of these frequencies under the authority of a Developmental Radio Licence.

Applicants are required to submit an application and to pay licensing fees in accordance with the Radiocommunication Regulations. The current licensing fee for the month of April is $52.80. (The fee is pro-rated based on the month that the station is authorized within a given year and subsequent renewals would be $41.00 per year).

An amateur holding the Basic + (with Honours) or the Advanced Certificate will be eligible for licensing on these frequencies.

The developmental authority will be restricted to the use of 5 specific frequencies with no antenna or height restrictions.

The operating frequencies will be: 5.332 5.348 5.3585 5.373 5.405 (MHz)

Authority will be subject to the following conditions:
    - Transmissions must not exceed an effective radiated power of 100 Watts (PEP)
    - Transmissions shall be restricted to the following emission modes and designations: 2K80JE3, 2K80J2D, 60H0J2B and 150HA1A

- Transmissions shall not occupy more than 2.8 kHz (centered on each frequency)
    - Operators shall not cause interference to fixed and mobile operations domestically or of other administrations
    (if such interference occurs, the operator may be required to cease operations.)
    - Operators may not claim protection from interference by fixed and mobile operations domestically or of other administrations

- The authority may be withdrawn at any time by the Department

I trust that this has provided the answer to your query.
    Regards,

Alan McLean
    Spectrum Management Officer | Agent, Gestion du spectre
    Spectrum Management Operations Branch | Direction générale des opérations de la gestion du spectre
    Spectrum, Information Technologies and Telecommunications Sector | Secteur du Spectre, des technologies de l'information et des télécommunications

Eastern and Northern Ontario District | District de l'Est et du Nord de l'Ontario
    Industry Canada | Industrie Canada
    2 Queen Street East, Sault Ste Marie ON P6A 1Y3 | 2, rue Queen est, Sault Ste Marie ON P6A 1Y3
    Alan.McLean@ic.gc.ca
    Telephone | Téléphone 705-941-3978
    Facsimile | Télécopieur 705-941-4607
    Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur 1-866-694-8389"

9. VE3MPG

VE3MPG Ham Member QRZ Page

Any idea what those emission modes are?

10. VE3LDJ

VE3LDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there is a Typo, 2K80JE3 should end in J3E.
    J3E is SSB. Perhaps JE3 is their way of stating USB only? New one to me.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  11. VE7XV

VE7XV Ham Member QRZ Page

What's with the $52.80???? Just another tax...Should be no cost..

Ve7xv

12. G4MWO

G4MWO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this, Stephen - there's nothing like an official reply !

Paul Gaskell, G4MWO

Editor, The 5 MHz Newsletter
    http://tinyurl.com/7ylxz9z
    (current edition)
    G4MWO's Worldwide 5 MHz Amateur Allocations Chart
    http://tinyurl.com/82rwq2b
    UK GB2RS RSGB News Service 5 MHz Newsreader
    Member of Original RSGB 5 MHz Team (2002)
    =====================================

13. VE1IDX

VE1IDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really. An amateur license is free. A fixed station license is not. Since the band is not officially an amateur band yet you must apply for and obtain a fixed station license at the going price.That is also the reason for a different callsign to be used on 60m right now. You may not use your amateur callsign in a different radio service. Word has it that the band will be open to all this fall so if you do not want to pay up then just wait six months or so.

14. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like the frequencies line up with the US band plan. This will definitely make this more useful.
    Unfortunately many operators do not operate on 60m because all of the restrictions.

15. VE3TLT

VE3TLT Ham Member QRZ Page

60 Meters

My Application is in the mail.. Looking forward to the new band

VE3TLT Trevor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.