ad: ProAudio-1

73 Magazine: All issues now online

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA5ZNU, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

ANYONE we know?????

[​IMG]

From January 1961 73 Magazine!

2. WY5V

WY5V Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is my favorite part:

"Perhaps there are some ham psychiatrists (Other than Extra class, of course) who could experiment with trying to repair damaged Extra brains and attempt to return them to certifiable sanity. The usual trans-orbital leukotomy has, in most cases rendered what had been a crazy ham into a CBer, which is different but necessarily an improvement."

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I never read 73 much while it was being published but sure have enjoyed reading the handful I've downloaded! It seems Wayne might be a french fry or two short of his happy meal, but I can't be sure! LOL! He really seemed to like heading off on his tangents! Gotta go download a few more . . . :)

4. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yay! I always wanted to read the April 1967 issue with Al Freddy Newham WN1ECCH. I had that issue in the 1970s (picked it up at used bookstore but lost it).

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

i HAD the original:) I remember the day I got it in the mail. Weird what you remember....

Classic HAM vs HAM spoof:)

Chip W1yW

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Leigh,

Do the donations go to the authors who toilessly wrote these thousands of articles?

Kindly tell me why this is not gross copyright violation?

Chip W1YW

7. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Bravo! What a wonderful service to fellow amateurs. Well done!

Dave G0OIL

8. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have some 73 magazine issues.

Let's have Ham Radio Magazine, as well.

Connie w7cjd

9. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

>Kindly tell me why this is not gross copyright violation?

pul-leze... not another one of these "gotta go after them pirates" and SOPA, etc. Archive.org is not breaking any laws, everyone in The Business is fully aware of the Wayback Machine. Take a closer look, most of the material is educational (little monetary value). Wayne Green is not losing any money and neither are other authors. I'm sure they are fully aware of archive.org, otherwise they would be first to know and the articles would be yanked (i.e. what frequently happens on youtube). And the original authors probably give it their blessings and pleased they are getting exposure (though most material archived are obscure items like dance movement publications and authors are long gone and dead).

Sorry for the rant but it is individuals like those at archive.org that get together and work to save publications and make them accessible. Otherwise may as well burn it all like thousands years ago as was done at Library of Alexandria which I think is what MAFIAA is trying to do now.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me be more explicit: I am the copyright holder on several of the articles. I have neither been asked nor notified of this re-publication of these articles.

Why not?

If thereis money that is gathered by re-publication, then I would like to be compensated. In fact, I require compensation.

How's that?

Chip W1YW

12. K5OKC

K5OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I had my article published, I had to give up worldwide rights in exchange for cash. They paid only after publication, so 9 months after I wrote the article, they published it, and 3 months after that I got paid. They said they wanted a photo of the project, and I mailed them the project and said take all the pictures you want. It was just hobby, the money was more than I expected.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Joyce Sawtelle (I assume you know who that is) never asked me to do that, nor would I have agreed to that. Also, digital rights are separate from paper pub rights.

This news story asks that people give money to archive, with an anonymous publisher hiding behind that screen. Why does the organization get the money while the authors get none?

Please explain to me at length why this is fair, let alone legal.

Best,
    Chip W1YW

14. AA2RR

AA2RR Ham Member QRZ Page

What makes you think that you have a copyright?

Each issue of 73 says that the copyright is held by them.

You can read their claim to the first page of each issue (after the ads).

It's clearly printed in a box at the bottom of the page.

15. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, this is the problem.

There was a lot going on with that magazine and they were playing fast and loose with people's copyrights.

What's printed means little to nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.