ad: Retevis-1

NLI Meets with Congressman King regarding HR 607 - 70cm is SAFE!!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2YBB, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't party to soon.....as the saying goes....
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    Rep King is from the same mold as the NH senate,
    That a couple of weeks ago said it would in no way vote for
    an anti-union bill, and the went right ahead
    and voted just the opposite this last week....
    Sorry, hard to trust Politicians....:mad:
    They say whatever they have to say at the moment....
    Lets just hope this story is true.....

2. KJ6OJL

KJ6OJL Ham Member QRZ Page

sounds good, lets see the bill modified and ACTUALLY put into place before we
    "get the word out that 70cm is not in jeopardy"
    I don't understand the whole change up even with broadcast tv, other than Money.
    which down to the core of all sections of government.
    does not have to make logical sense but as long as they get more $$

3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Good news BUT remember Politicians sometimes speak with forked tongue ;)

G3SEA/KH6

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

There. I fixed it for you. :)

5. K6DY

K6DY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, won't believe it until it's signed, sealed, and delivered. I don't take any politicians word on anything.

6. N2YBB

N2YBB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Paul WA3VJB-

Thank you for your very kind words of support. You are correct in assuming that this was done without the involvement of the League. While all four of us hold volunteer positions in the League, we approached the issue on our own. We were very careful NOT to give any appearance of being representatives of the ARRL in either setting up the meeting or during our conversations with Rep. King and his office. We presented ourselves only as constituents who are hams.

It seems a "no-brainer" for all of us in the Amateur Radio community to establish friendly, working relationships with our local representatives - be they Congressional, State or Local. Instead of being reactive, as the League has been in the past, we need to be proactive so that a situation that is potentially (or in reality) threatening to the welfare of Amateur Radio doesn't happen. Instead, by establishing a working relationship we would be, at the very least, consulted in the process.

Writing letters that never get seen doesn't do this. What does is face-to-face meetings and open dialogue with the people that we vote into office. The League doesn't seem to recognize this. And the grassroots approach is most effective because it puts a face on a constituency. While professional lobbying is important, you can't say enough for sitting down in a local setting with your local representative - especially if you are lucky enough to find hams who are active in that representative's party and community. I was able to search those people out.

Again, this needs to be done on a grassroots level. And then supported nationally through an active political action program from the League.

Rep. King is in our Section and while it took some time and effort to get in the door, we found him to be very friendly, positive and understanding. It is our hope that now that he knows who we are, we can keep the lines of communication open with him.

It is time the League took point on political action that is effective. Let's see what develops.

Vy 73,
    Mike N2YBB

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. N2YBB

N2YBB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are absolutely correct. We need to always remain vigilant. And that is part of being proactive (instead of reactive).

Mike N2YBB

8. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont believe a word any politician says!...Lets see it signed and that months have gone by...I dont believe this congressman!!!

9. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

They Should not be losing any of 70CM. UPS Screwed us all over on a portion of 220. they never used and won't give back.

10. K6LSN

K6LSN Ham Member QRZ Page

11. KN4X

KN4X Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny how Rep. King says "he would see to the modification of the bill so that the 420 - 440 MHz band would be
    excluded from the spectrum to be auctioned". What about 440-450? They (The Reps) DO NOT understand one aspect of what they are doing. Watch them grab 440-450 instead. They are like children when it comes to technical matters.

Did anyone in the group get anything in writing? Rep King started this snowball rolling, however he may be overstepping his boundaries, since there are MANY CO-Sponsors. They've been holding news conferences with heads of National Police, Fire, and EMS groups. It might be out of his hands now.

12. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My comments are sincere, and I'm grateful you've received them.

Constituents have the ability to carry more weight than lobbyists when, as in your case, the delegation you formed has done its homework, prepared an intelligent, logic-driven presentation, and has avoided coloration by fundraising and political maneuvering.

Active, concerned licensees in the Amateur Service rarely develop the level of determination you have displayed, yet you have a success to hoist aloft as proof the system works. I hope it inspires other individuals and good-natured groups to take charge of the issues that concern them. The same approach would work in the regulatory arena, at the Federal Communications Commission, where legislative mandates are carried out in a practical implementation.

Your victory bodes very well for all of us who wish to shape the hobby, recruit and retain participants, and protect what the bulk of us feel is valuable and attractive about the Amateur Service.

Thank you for taking the time to pursue this, Mike. It is appreciated.

[hr]
    Note to Bill WA6ITF -- two days later, and this story is still missing from the ARRL website. Sure, I understand how a small business like theirs would send everyone to a convention and leave the home shop dark, but hey, they've managed to write and post a "Dayton" report, so someone has had some access to the League's website, hmmm ??

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  13. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I also am concerned about 440-450 MHz. There are a LOT of repeaters in that portion of the 70 cm band, many used by ARES and RACES during emergencies. In fact here in So. California, ALL the 440 repeaters (inputs AND outputs) are in the 440-450 segment. To lose that portion of the band would be disastrous; and VERY expensive for repeater owners to have to relocate.

14. WA3GIN

WA3GIN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DUH... people get spun up over nothing... the ARRL does a great job of getting the DIM all spun so then the ARRL can take credit when the outcome is positive, hahaha. Got to keep selling those QST subscriptions. 70cm was never in danger! Glad to see some amateur guys dressed up talking to the politicians. Too bad they weren't talking to him before he wrote the BILL... maybe next time, huh. Now what will the massess worry about? Hmmm... maybe the end of the world?

Good Job Guys, next time don't wait so long... I wore out my delete key on all the hoopla emails generated by this silliness.

15. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Believe your Government? Ask a Native American.......

As long as the grass shall grow and the waters flow.... a promissory written into every treaty the U.S. asked the Indians to sign.

GOD BLESS you, Chief James Little Wolf Whittlesey/KC4RCW s/k. Walk in Beauty.

Respectfully submitted,

Donald J. Buck Saunders/KA5LQJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.