ad: Radclub22-1

Radio Shack ask the "DIY Community" for Input

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4PKO, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ4PKO

KJ4PKO Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, this could be entertaining....

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm actually a bit shocked to see this. Radio Shack has been slowly moving out of the parts business. Their 'parts' in the store by us takes up a couple of dozen drawers where years ago there was much much more. Years ago you could find most of what you needed to build something.. these days you're lucky if you get a handful of parts you might need.

I can understand why they moved this way, there just isn't the demand anymore. There just aren't as many people building stuff like there used to be. Today over the internet you can order / make circuit boards, components and pretty much anything you need and most likely cheaper than what radio shack sells it for.

Frankly, I don't understand how Radio Shack stays in business. Almost everything they sell these days can be bought at big box stores for a better price. I think I remember reading somewhere that one of their CEO's couldn't understand why they were still in business. Anyways, I hope they do get some good feedback and perhaps expand things and bring more stuff back but from a business perspective I wonder if that would put another nail in the coffin if that's the stuff that doesn't sell?

4. KG6IRW

KG6IRW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the link and the heads-up. I let 'em have it.....

5. KJ6OJL

KJ6OJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the link, I posted a huge message there. and a long reply here,
    well the reply here went into the internet black hole..
    Time will tell would be nice to see them actually get back into parts.

6. KJ4ODU

KJ4ODU Ham Member QRZ Page

Smarter people? ..... I mean a training center for the people that work there.

7. KB3FXI

KB3FXI Ham Member QRZ Page

How about instead of "letting them have it", you give them some constructive suggestions. If they see what looks like a host of ham radio yo-yo's flaming their email and blogspot, I doubt that's going to do anyone any good.

I greatly appreciate the fact that I have Radio Shack as a local resource to pick up a part or two that I wouldn't be able to get elsewhere without burning $20 of fuel or having to order on line and wait 2 or 3 days. And I support their efforts to reach out for suggestions and input.

-Dave, KB3FXI

8. KJ6OJL

KJ6OJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great point, you should have seen how confused and how much slower a worker talked when I asked him
    "where can I find a so-239 connector".
    He just kept looking at me and kinda shrugged his shoulders and said I don't know.
    Finally I told him make good use of the computer and look it up on your own website.
    Sad when We all need to inform them how to do their job and get US the parts we need.

9. KG6IRW

KG6IRW Ham Member QRZ Page

Luckily, I typed it offline - seems their blog system has 'blogged' down and is now creating Java errors. My post has yet to show up! Here's what I posted to Radio Shack.

***Edit/Update: Ok, I see why posts were slow....the site is being hit hard with comments. Excellent!*****

73s, David/KG6IRW

First, thanks for asking for input. This is a good sign by itself. Here's my comments:

Your competition -

These guys are getting it:
    - http://www.jameco.com: Embedded systems with microcontrollers.
    - Here's another: http://www.parallax.com/
    Stock this stuff and I'm there!
    - To be relevant, you need to be part of this: http://makerfaire.com/
    - Old line techies still like these guys, too: http://www.circuitcellar.com/
    - They're now part of this growing crowd: http://www.elektor.com/
    - Here's an audio crowd you need to fully understand: http://www.diyaudio.com/

These crowds have taken away the buyers in your stores. Yes, they're online, but they're active and they order blocks of parts at one time for projects. Not the onesy-twosy stuff I typically think of Radio Shack for these days.

On the good side:

- You have the floor space - except for the cell phone mass market stuff. BTW, I just upgraded to the new iPhone - never thought about Radio Shack. Dealt directly with AT&T. You don't come to mind for me on that stuff, either.

Where you're exposed:

- You don't have the staff to deal with electronic components today that will carry margins you need for retail establishments. I spent a Christmas holiday working in a RS and can tell you from experience that I was the only person who understood what the parts you currently sell are and their value to a customer.
    - These same people have no idea how to market or upsell with all that stuff you stock in the back of the store - they only know how to configure a cell phone.
    - Your product specifications have gone to zero. Your own private label brand is not relevant. I have no idea what performance of the product you carry are. You need to get over this if you want to market to the DIY crowd.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  10. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought RS was out of business ! Everytime I go in my local store all they want to do is sell me a CELL PHONE. The staff at most RS stores don't know anything except how to keep you waiting so they can tell you they don't know. Get it together RS or just LOCK THE DOOR !!!!! RS is about the last place I go when I need something and I hope I know where in the store it is because the help sure doesn't.

11. AJ4BP

AJ4BP Ham Member QRZ Page

RADIO PARTS, HAM RADIO GEAR

i WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE NAME "RADIO SHACK" AGAIN, LOTS OF PARTS TO BUILD ELECTRONIC PROJECTS, SHORTWAVE RADIOS AND HAM RADIO PRODUCTS. ALSO PLEASE HIRE PEOPLE THAT CAN SPEAK THE ELECTRONICS "LINGO". YEARS AGO IF YOU WENT TO A STORE AND ASKED A QUESTION AND YOU GOT ANSWERS. NOW YOU ASK A QUESTION AND YOU GET A BLIND STARE FROM A PERSON WHO LOOKS LIKE A DEER BEING SHINNED UPON BY A CAR'S HEADLIGHTS. DUHHHHH

12. K6YFE

K6YFE Ham Member QRZ Page

Instead of telling them what's wrong, just reply with what they asked for. "Letting them have it" is counterproductive. We already know how 'smart' you are.
    They have questions... we have answers. Be polite and respectful and work with them.

13. K0HWY

K0HWY Ham Member QRZ Page

I received this in my email and deleted it without reading, figuring it was just another piece of junk mail. I try to avoid pessimism but I just can't see Radio Shack returning to what they use to be, unless their cell phone business is really getting crappy.

As for RS's employee's, I try not to be too critical. Look at what they are paying and their primary market. Can we really expect to be waited on by someone with basic electronic knowledge? My experience is, that you had best know what you're looking for when you walk in the door and don't ask for technical advice. You'd get better information from one of those 1970s 8 balls.

14. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll write to them for certain.

Living in a metro area, I have probably 20-30 "Shack" stores within a 15-min drive, but other than batteries they have almost nothing I want.

Forgoing "parts," I'd love to see them bring back real shortwave receivers like the very good ones they had 30-40 years ago, and ham gear like the very good 10m and 2m rigs they had as recently as the 1980s and early 90s. And although I'm not on CB, it was useful when they had a wide variety of CB rigs and accessories, as I often used their CB antennas for 10 meter work, and they were a good enough deal.

Their "Realistic" brand stereo gear in the 60s and 70s was as good as stuff from Pioneer and others (and likely made by those other companies, but I didn't care who made it as long as it worked and sounded good). Some of the "Realistic" branded speakers (made by whoever) were great, and when on sale were really good deals.

I still have a "Realistic" branded portable SW radio (includes AM/FM, and several SW bands) that is about as good as my Zenith Trans-Oceanic which was a much more expensive radio.

They really did have some good stuff back then. I can get "components" anywhere and really don't need them for that. But some of the products were, at one time, very good and useful for hams.

I'll write.

15. KC5RQT

KC5RQT Ham Member QRZ Page

i AGREE WITH YOU 100%. i WORKED FOR THEM IN THE 90'S AN HAD A HARD TIME WITH MANAGEMENT. THEY WANTED ME TO SELL PHONES WHEN I HAD CUSTOMERS WANTING PARTS TO BUILD OR REPAIR THINGS. I NOW GO TO THE LOCAL FRY'S FOR MY ELCTRONICS. iF THEY GET BACK TO THEIR BASICS, I BELEIVE THEY CAN MAKE EVERYONE HAPPY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.