ad: chuckmartin

Donations needed for Amateur Radio Antenna Defense Foundation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N6VI, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the litigation is to overturn absurd and burdensome ordinances (like San Diego and Palmdale) which patently ignore the FCC's mandate. This is not an HOA issue.

2. AA4HA

AA4HA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, there are some really tacky looking installations, overloaded towers with antennas stacked three deep, coax flapping in the wind and booms that extend well over their property line and over a neighbors yard.

I "like" antennas but there are some sites that just make me shudder. If they were my neighbor I would throw a fit, even if it was not in an HOA restricted tract of land.

This will upset some folks but here are a few things that any municipality could require;

1. A documented RF exposure report, demonstrating that the general public or neighboring properties are not exposed to any levels greater than the minimum threshold when the station is operating at maximum power.

2. That no part of an antenna structure will impinge upon areas where the general public or across any neighboring properties if the structure falls over. (this will limit hams to putting antennas in the middle of their property and limit the total height to less than the distance to the nearest property boundary.

3. That all tower structures and antennas are documented to be in compliance with the latest revision of ANSI 222. (P.E. stamped analysis) This includes loading calculations for all antennas, feed-lines and accessories for maximum elevated winds.

4. That all structures be maintained in a clean and painted condition with annual inspection by the local code enforcement entity.

5. All antenna towers will be equipped with climb-guards and a fenced perimeter to limit public access.

6. Increased liability insurance.

If you look at these requirements you would think them as reasonable for a commercial installation. We build structures in residential neighborhoods but many think they can install any old rusty tower with 1500 pounds of teetering hardware up in the air and that it is our god-given "right".

We have an obligation to install equipment in a responsible manner with as much respect to the mores of the surrounding community.

Ref: Mores: Latin term for societal norms, customs, virtues or values. Mores derive from the established practices of a society rather than its written laws.

Tisha Hayes, AA4HA

3. KD6TR

KD6TR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why should this be such a problem? Here in California there is a law passed by the legislature and signed by the Governor requiring localities to allow Ham antennas as per PRB-1. Why not just put the darn thing up. Before a local authority can take action to have it removed, they must appear in court and obtain a court order. Wouldn't simply showing up and waving a copy of the legislation in their face put an end to the entire problem?

4. K1VR

K1VR Ham Member QRZ Page

A Worthy Cause

I know the people and the purposes they seek to promote. This is a worthy cause and deserves financial support.

Fred K1VR

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Go look at the history behind the ordinances in San Diego and Palmdale. They don't care.

They'd rather throw their weight around and assume that the amateur will knuckle under.

Big guy v. little guy litigation strategy.

6. KY6LA

KY6LA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank You ARADF

ARADF is NOT about the issue of HOA's. It's about protecting Amateur Radio as a Public Service.

The reason that both Federal and State PRB-1 exemptions exist is specifically to enable Hams to put up antennas as a Public Service to enable communications. Urban areas perhaps need communications much more than even rural ones.

In the case of San Diego, the proposal is to charge a deposit of $8,000 PLUS $5,000 increments (uncapped) if you want to put up a tower while the City studies your request. There is no guarantee that you will ever get a permit even though you could be charged tens of thousands of dollars. In the case of Palmdale, the City imposed unreasonable restrictions on an existing permitted tower and forced the ham to take it down because some neighbor did not like the way it looked. Fortunately, at great expense to the ham community, the courts found Palmdale to be wrong (currently under appeal by the city).

ARADF has been created to protect the Public from unreasonable attempts by local municipalities such as San Diego and Palmdale to effectively ban amateur radio by making it impossible to erect an antenna.

Further if we accepted the philosophy that the Neighbors are always right about aesthetics and that Hams should only live in rural areas where there are no objecting neighbors, then we would be accepting the death of HF ham radio as virtually no one would be allowed to operate.

Hams who attempt to do a Public Service by improving communications ability by installing antennas have been the victims of their neighbors unreasonable attempts to impose their concepts of aesthetics. Many of these Public spirited hams have been forced to spend thousands of dollars of their own money to defend the rights of rest of us from their NIMBY neighbors and unreasonable municipalities.

It is really unfortunate that many of the writers above choose to further victimize these Ham victims.

Thank You to ARADF for finally making this a collective fight where we can all share the financial burden of protecting Amateur Radio as a Public Service.

KY6LA

"Ham Antennas Save Lives - Katrina, 2003 & 2007 San Diego Fires, 911"

7. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am constrained to suggest that not all antenna issues involve the existence of restrictive covenants or homeowners associations. The most recent highly publicized cases from California certainly don't.

It is not reasonably disputable that PRB-1, as interpreted by numerous courts and impemented by statute in several states, is generally favorable to amateurs. Despite this, it is as unavoidable as it is unfortunate that some municipalities will make amateurs fight for the reasonable accommodation PRB-1 unambiguously mandates.

The San Diego and Palmdale fights, as well as others that have and will come, require resources. Without resources, against a determined municipality who doesn't care, Amateur Radio operation within a community can be significantly damaged.

No amateur can credibly say that's an acceptable result. Hats off to those working for a different one, including these folks.

8. AC7DX

AC7DX Guest

I agree and why didnt the homeowner check regulations before buying a home??
    Next, you dont need a tower...A wire will work..maybe not what you want but......
    Cheers
    Ron
    Condo owner

9. KY6M

KY6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Legislation

I would like to see a copy of this, do you know what it is called? It might come in handy some day! :D

10. KY6LA

KY6LA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You statement could not be more misleading or incorrect...

During the 2003 Fires in San Diego, I had a wire antenna which DID NOT WORK effectively so I could barely assist. In fact, it was the failure of my wire antennas to communicate effectively during the fires that was the primary reason why I installed a tower.

In the 2007 Fires in San Diego, I had a Tower. The tower made all the difference. I was able to be net control for 3 nights on the San Diego FireNet. The hams on the FireNet were able to provide life and property saving assistance to our friends and neighbors. Documented fact... we saved lives.....

http://www.ky6la.com/firestorm_2007.htm

Please stop with your unfounded allegations about not needing towers

... Ham Antennas save lives...

Thank you ARADF for making this a collective fight to protect the Public Service of Amateur Radio...

11. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Aesthetically pleasing

TO ME the only time a tower and beams is not "aesthetically pleasing" is when it was damaged or destroyed in the last hurricane. It is then time to install a new bigger, and better tower.

It seems to me that no matter what a group tries to do, there are always 10% on QRZ that automatically think it is wrong. It seems that 10% are usually the ones that wish they could but can not.

When you purchase a home, you make a wish list, if being allowed to have a tower is on the top, you make sure that is part of the deal. If drive time to work, etc, is on the top, you make sure that is part of the deal. It is all a matter of priorities, yours may be different from mine.

Having lived in different towns in New Jersey and three towns in Texas over the past 50 years, I have always had a tower (at least 60') and beams. It is all about what is on the top of your wish list and priorities.

Besides it is the hit of the neighborhood every December when I light up a 10' star on the top of the tower.

John W5JON

12. AA1MN

AA1MN Ham Member QRZ Page

WHY did it not work effectively? Was it the proper legnth? Was it installed properly? Was it the proper height above the ground? Were there interfering objects nearby?

KY6LA, care to fill the rest of us in on the above information?

AA1MN

13. AA1MN

AA1MN Ham Member QRZ Page

W5JON,

The only tower, beam, and antenna that I find aesthetically pleasing is the one I don't have to look at. Can you install such an antenna where you live?

AA1MN

14. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

So, what antennas do you use on HF?

15. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Isotrons, perhaps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.