ad: elecraft

New 160m Antenna at Arkala OH8X

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K1CJS

K1CJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, maybe not THAT slow! :D

I clicked on the link and went to get a cup of coffee, and in the meantime, answered a short phone call. When I got back to the desk it was just coming up--that is why I said s--l--o--w!

2. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Impressive antenna for sure, but what's the point of using a yagi on 160, when you can use phased verticals instead?

3. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am impressed.
    So what do you do after you've made DXCC on 160 in record time?

5. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

True, but I bet he has much less noise with the horizontal beam. My 40 meter beam at 101 feet has *MUCH* less QRN than the vertical on my roof. One of the advantages of horizontally polarized antennas is the less man-made noise they pick up, since most man-made noise is vertically polarized.

Nevertheless, given the bang for the buck, I think a 4 square would have been my choice!

What does one do when the ice storms come on this monster?? :eek:

I'm betting something this large is going to require REGULAR maintenance every week to keep things working.

.........Bob

6. KD7GWM

KD7GWM QRZ Member

cool pics

I hope to hear them on the air in Hawaii sometime. The pics came out great on my Commodore Vic20 running my newest modems of 1200 baud.
    :p

7. A71AN

A71AN QRZ Member

I test 160M this morning, with this antenna:

http://www.dxqsl.net/showthread.php?t=306

The noise level was much less than the Yagi on 20M, the receiving gain was so high also.

This antenna did not cost more than 100USA dollar, very portable also and take less than 30mints to install and start working.

8. XU7XXX

XU7XXX Ham Member QRZ Page

Paging W8JI

It would be nice to get W8JI's take regarding this antenna........It would also be interesting to hear what ON4UN has to say, but I think our only chance on QRZ will be with W8JI.

In ON4UN's Low Band DXing handbook, an eight square is shown in great detail. I would think an 8-square would offer better figures than the newly built 160/80 yagi.

The 3 elements on 160 are well below being anywhere up near one wavelength high. Great for "local" (hihi) DXing, but too low for real long haul DXing.........I don't know. Maybe this antenna on 160 is the greatest thing ever to be constructed for Top Band. But then again, an 8-square for 160 would REALLY be something to operate.

If anyone has several spare acres and 20 or so miles of radial wire, throw up seperate 8-squares for 160/80 & let us know how they perform. :)

Tom XU7XXX

9. VE3RIA

VE3RIA Ham Member QRZ Page

wow

that is insane sure beats my little wire ant farm
    Im sure the city of Brampton would allow me to put up that 160 m monster
    no wonder I hear them all the time in the contests
    Im still snooping for my 940sat any ideas
    looking forward to doing some skn
    73 de drew
    ve3ria

10. KL0X

KL0X Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a bad link to the pictures

11. VE3EDY

VE3EDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Who Needs Big,

I use a simple verticle element made of electrical conduit
    and am working many European ,Asian,African plus many more stations
    on 80M and 160M.

You can see it here at this link below,
    http://www.ve3edy.com

DX has never been so much fun.

Larry,VE3EDY

12. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

13. VE3EDY

VE3EDY Ham Member QRZ Page

My XYL would definitely not allow this on our small property of 85 x 130 ft.

But it sure is impressive....

When S.Morse finished the alphabet he assigned the letter Z
    to be known as
    DA DA DIT DIT.

:)

Larry

14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

OH8X

I really feel for the unfortunate individual that gets to write up the antenna parts list and instruction assembly manual..!

Speaking of W8JI, I recall studying a rather interesting article on his website where W8JI's modeling suggests the constuction of a VOA style and steerable (HRS) antenna array capable of exhibiting very high antenna gain characteristics on the 40 and 80m amateur bands.

http://www.w8ji.com/curtain sterba USIA array.htm

Might be interesting to compare.

73 de KC8VWM

15. LY4A

LY4A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes Radioarkala did it for 160M but this system also using to many brodcasting stations on the world :) http://www.ly4a.com/?p=2893

Roli
    LY4A

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.