ad: MyersEng-1

California takes "space" out of Ham Plates

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7FE/SK2017, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. If you don't, you'll have an appointment with another of the Terminator's cadre.....at the appointed place and time.

Just another reason why CA's backward state government needs adjustment.

Try yet another: Both front and rear license plates required. For what earthly reason? Oh, so the cop in front of you can try to read your backwards plate in his rear view mirror. Or, so the meater maid doesn't have to walk back the to rear of your car to fill out the expired meter ticket.

Most states in the South don't require a front plate. It saves time, money, and the waste of metal.

2. K6JJR

K6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe front plates are mandatory because of the new red-light cameras that are in use. Eventually all 50 states will have them. :mad:

3. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I don't think so. If that were the case, when Florida first installed them about 5 years ago on a trial basis, that would have been said. And by now, FL would have required two plates.

However, just think about camera placement, next time you pass through an intersection. The ones here in AL (and those I remember in FL) have two cameras per intersection per street (4 total for 2 cross streets) so that the evidence, when recorded, shows the back of the vehicle as it crosses through the intersection..... Very important, I think, for evidence.

No, in CA, its for the two stupid excuses I mentioned, and perhaps a few more. I used to work as a dispatcher years ago and know that to be the case. Idiotic and wasteful.

4. N8ARY

N8ARY Ham Member QRZ Page

Destroying plates

No, you have to cut them up with scissors.

5. KD8HMO

KD8HMO Banned QRZ Page

Ohio has required two plates for as far back as I can remember.

6. K6JJR

K6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

The key word here is "eventually". :) These things take time. As for ham plates I dont have them, I prefer to stay anonymous when Im driving. My .02c worth. :D

7. KA3PYL

KA3PYL Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the state of California should allow them into the hands of license plate collectors (many of which are hams) as error plates!

Bill
    KA3PYL
    (at my Sellersville, PA weekday QTH)

8. KA3PYL

KA3PYL Ham Member QRZ Page

Pennsylvania looked into issuing two plates, which isn't federally mandatory, when they last replated in 1999.

They ditched the idea (PA hasn't used front plates since 1952) because it would double the expense of registering 12+ million vehicles, and it would also double the time it would take to replate those vehicles, which still took over 3 years even with one plate.

A replate is now mandatory every 10 years, so we're up for a replate next year, and I doubt PA will do front & rear plates.

PA's red light cameras (mostly found in Philadelphia) take pictures from the rear of the car.

19 states currently only issue rear plates:
    AL, AZ, AR, DE, GA, FL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MS, NM, NC, OK, PA, SC, TN, WV.

Bill
    KA3PYL

9. K1SJ

K1SJ Guest

New York ham plates cost?

Hi there
    New Yorkers, what about your plates, as to cost and how are the numbers and letters presented on the plate? K1SJ ,CA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.