PDA

View Full Version : 14.100 Beacon Stations

K2WH
07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Can anyone hear any of the beacons on 14.100 mhz? I am using new software called "Faros", which logs all beacon traffic however, I am not hearing any of the beacons, even the 4U1UN beacon in NYC which is only 45 miles away!

My antenna and receiver system is fine, hearing lots of other signals on 20 including CW, PSK, RTTY and SSB. Normal stuff.

Anyone with info on the beacon project? The beacon site says all are operational.

K2WH

AG3Y
07-05-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't know about you, but I sure wouldn't call the HF propagation that I have been observing "normal". Beacons are rather low power to begin with, and drop down to the QRP level very quickly.

If you are 45 miles away from the NYC one, you are probably in its "skip zone", and the probablilty of hearing it can be rather slim.

I am tuned to the frequency right now as I type this, and am barely hearing anything, and this is the best time of the day for "gray line" conditions.

Earlier I checked out WWV and the only thing I could hear was the 15.000 Mhz station. It was coming in rather weakly compared to what I normally hear, and I heard nary a peep from the other frequencies.

Another way I check for propagation, at least on the 20 meter band, is to look at the various world-wide SSTV webcams. If I don't see any obdated images, and the ones that are there are full of noise streaks, I know I won't have a chance with my 100 watts and wire antennas.

We are at the very bottom of the sunspot cycle, and might be there for a short time yet. Enjoy the contacts you get, and don't worry about spending all that money for the 20-15-10 meter tribander yet. Wait a few years !

73, Jim

W5MEJ
07-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Just did a quick check, and the only two I can really copy are 4U1UN and W6WX. I can tell that a few of the others are there, but can't copy the call.

Chuck

VK4XJB
07-05-2006, 11:35 PM
This is what I said in the version of this thread in Talk and Opinions. Was going to edit my original post to mention the NYC beacon could be in the skip zone but AG3Y beat me to it. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I have been listening the last 1/4 hour. Heard 6 beacons. Seemed to be

New York
Hawaii
New Zealand
west coast Australia
Japan
Russia maybe

Plus some sort of digital signal and a couple of non english speaking people

WJ5O
07-06-2006, 12:13 AM
At 23:00 Z, I was able to copy four beacon signals in a row.... YV5B, 4U1UN, VE8AT & W6WX into South Texas EL17ip ...... I didn't try 17, 15, 12 or 10 meters.
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

K2WH
07-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Well, I just figured out why I cannot hear the beacons. My Yaesu FT-847 display is incorrect. Found the beacons at 14.097!!!

I have some work to do here. Thanks for all the replies.

K2WH

W5ALT
07-06-2006, 02:57 AM
I don't know about the beacons, but G, DL and OK answered my CQ and I also worked about 8 SKCC contacts on 20m this afternoon and evening with my indoor antenna.

The band isn't the greatest, but I've seen worse!

Walt, W5ALT

AG3Y
07-06-2006, 05:42 PM
The 20 meter band has been very full of QSB lately. I can hear part of a signal very loudly, and suddenly it just disappears! The SSTV pictures verify this by being very clear for a few lines, and then being totally covered by noise, and coming back to clear again. Check out this page if you would like to see some samples. Remember that stations that are not activly uploading fresh images, often put a locally produced picture on, so don't be fooled by the "photo quality" images!

SSTV Webcams (http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jpslusser/)

73, Jim

K0CMH
07-06-2006, 08:13 PM
20 meter propagation has been pretty poor lately, however, there have been some great 10 meters opening, on a fairly regular basis this past 5 or 6 weeks. Contray to the "10 meters is dead" line, if you listen, it will open. Maybe not hte exact moment you turn on your radio, but if you check 10 meters off adn on everytime you have the rig on, you will catch some great openings.

N1MLF
07-07-2006, 02:10 PM
2WH:

On the FT-847 there is an auto freq shift between SSB & CW!!
Tune to 14.100 in the SSB mode then hit the CW button.. you'll see what I mean.. See the NOTE on pg 47 of the user manual for more..

JW

ad: vanity