PDA

View Full Version : 420-450 MHz 50 watts power limitation.

WB1WMB
05-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Certain areas of the USA are limited to a maximum transmitter power of 50 watts by "47 CFR 2.106 Footnote US7".

While purchasing a ICOM 910H from a Florida Ham radio shop I enquired about the limitations of transmitter power in the 70 cm band and was told that there wasn't any. I was sure that there was a limitation and found the text of 47 CFR 2.106 Footnote US7 which indeed limits transmitter power in 10 specific areas of the United States. The text of the FCC rule follows:

47 CFR 2.106 Footnote US7

US7 In the band 420-450 MHz and within the following areas, the peak envelope power output of a transmitter employed in the amateur service shall not exceed 50 watts, unless expressly authorized by the Commission after mutual agreement, on a case-by-case basis, between the Federal Communications Commission Engineer in Charge at the applicable district office and the military area frequency coordinator at the applicable military base. For areas (e) thru (j), the appropriate military coordinator is located at Peterson AFB, CO.

(a) Those portions of Texas and New Mexico bounded on the south by latitude 3145' North, on the east by 10400' West, on the north by latitude 3430' North, and on the west by longitude 10730' West;

(b) The entire State of Florida including the Key West area and the areas enclosed within a 200-mile radius of Patrick Air Force Base, Florida (latitude 2821' North, longitude 8043' West), and within a 200-mile radius of Eglin Air Force Base, Florida (latitude 3030' North, longitude 8630' West);

© The entire State of Arizona;

(d) Those portions of California and Nevada south of latitude 3710' North, and the areas enclosed within a 200 mile radius of the Pacific Missile Test Center, Point Mugu, California (latitude 3409' North, longitude 11911' West);

(e) In the State of Massachusetts within a 160-kilometer (100 mile) radius around locations at Otis Air Force Base, Massachusetts (latitude 4145' North, longitude 7032' West);

(f) In the State of California within a 240-kilometer (150 mile) radius around locations at Beale Air Force Base, California (latitude 3908' North, longitude 12126' West);

(g) In the State of Alaska within a 160 kilometer (100 mile) radius of Clear, Alaska (latitude 64 degrees, 17 north, longitude 149 degrees 10 west).

(h) In the State of North Dakota within a 160 kilometer (100 mile) radius of Concrete, North Dakota (latitude 48 degrees 43 north, longitude 97 degrees 54 west).

(i) In the States of Alabama, Florida, Georgia and South Carolina within a 200 kilometer (124 mile) radius of Warner Robins Air Force Base, Georgia (latitude 3238 North, longitude 8335 West).

(j) In the State of Texas within a 200 kilometer (124 mile) radius of Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas (latitude 3125 North, longitude 10024 West).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MapInfo data for Download

US7 Footnote map data in MapInfo format
OET -- 47 CFR 2.106 Footnote US7 (http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/maps/us7/)

KC0W
05-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Quote[/b] (wb1wmb @ May 22 2006,18:05)]The entire State of Florida

The entire State of Arizona
I have worked Florida 4 times on 432 MHz EME & Arizona 2 times. Were they running 50 or less watts?..........SURE they were. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I had to take down my 432 MHz EME array due to a move last spring. Hope to have it up and running again by this fall.

Tom kcw

W1YW
05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
It is important to obey these restrictions, because of NTIA based communications in those areas.

Surprised Area 51 isn't on the list ;-)

K3UD
05-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Wonder how many hams even know this. I knew it at one time but have not thought about it in years. I also remember when there were geographical power restrictions on 160 meters much like this. Has there been any enforcement actions?

I bet Glen has all the info http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

George
K3UD

AA1MN
05-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Quote[/b] ]Surprised Area 51 isn't on the list ;-)

The only reason that it isn't is because then the government would have to acknowledge it's existence and stir up more controversy about the Roswell UFO crash and the Moon Landing Hoaxes.

But it doesn't stop there, my friend, oh no not by a long shot. #It delves much deeper into governmental lurid deceptions than anyone of us could even begin to imagine.

Now, I'm not at liberty to disclose my sources for reasons of confidentiality and fear of reprisals which I'm not at this time ready to deal with but I have it on good authority and from reliable sources that former Beatle, John Lennon, is in fact being kept under close guard at Area 51 for reasons so well kept that none of his surviving bandmates are even aware of them. #Suffice it to say, Chip, that Yoko Ono orchestrated her husband's "murder" to benefit her -- and his -- own profit and for the profit of the United States government as well.

None of us will ever know the truth about this, I'm sure, so it's be that we all just pretend that this post was never made, leave quietly and move on. #But above all, keep transmitter power levels at or below 50 watts when in the Arizona area.

http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Chuck "The Truth Is Out There" AA1MN

W5HTW
05-25-2006, 06:06 PM
It is true. Experiments were done at Area 51 as well as the even more secret Area 101. These experiments related to an alleged "youth drug" which was supplied by an alien (not Mexican) spaceship that laned secretly in downtown Burbank, one day at noon.

Photos have been taken that show Elvis as a 17 year old, fumbling with a guitar, and standing next to a 2005 Humvee. He remarked, according to the caption, that the Humvee was like the tank he drove in Germany.

It appears the youth drug did not simply halt aging but reversed it. The scientists at Area 101 now have to wait for Shirley McLaine to recyle yet again, so they can watch and learn the secrets of her creation, recreation, and re-recreation, as they believe, again according to an unnamed source, she inbibed a dab of this drug, or perhaps something vaguely similar, in her earlier days.

KB4OID
05-25-2006, 06:08 PM
The power level restriction is because of the Missile Warning and Spacetrack Network. The areas in question are home to phased array radar systems used to keep track of the REAL UFO's in space, other country's satellites.

http://www.peterson.af.mil/hqafspc....ack.htm (http://www.peterson.af.mil/hqafspc/history/Heritage-MW%20and%20Spacetrack.htm)

Here in Northwest Florida, we have one of these radars hosted at Eglin, AFB. These systems used to be called SPADATS, but I think they changed the acronym to confuse the innocent ;) Anyway, it is possible to get an STA (Special Temporary Authorization) from the FCC to operate with higher power on 70 cm, such as for EME, but it requires that the commander of the Missile Command sign off on it. There used to be one ham near here that had an STA, and he had to call a number and let them know prior to operation. Based on my conversations with hams who were employed at the radar site, this restriction is in effect because the lower frequency limit of the radar is about 400 MHz.
I doubt Area51 as one of these radars, as there is no 'alien' technology in them, and therefore, beneath their notice #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
73....~Steve>

AA1MN
05-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Quote[/b] ]The scientists at Area 101 now have to wait for Shirley McLaine to recyle yet again, so they can watch and learn the secrets of her creation, recreation, and re-recreation, as they believe, again according to an unnamed source, she inbibed a dab of this drug, or perhaps something vaguely similar, in her earlier days.

Good Lord in Heaven!

Had I ever known that Shirley McLaine was involved in this, much less her inibriation, I never would have posted to begin with ...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must have my home phone number changed to an unlisted number, switch license plates on my vehicle and go into hiding!

Chuck "No Longer Out There" AA1MN

KB7UXE
05-25-2006, 06:51 PM
The stories you have just read are ture.
The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

This is Waldo Wifflhiemer signing off.

kb3eqa
05-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Holy Crap!

I'm a radio and radar technician in the USAF at Robins AFB, GA and I didn't have a clue. I spoke with a few people in our club, and they were all oblivious too. I suspect our repeater committee knows, I always wondered why our 440Mhz repeater only ran at 45w.

I guess I'll shelve my plans for a 500w 440Mhz amplifier http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

73s de
Dave Marshall, AB3I

W9AFB
05-25-2006, 09:08 PM
There's an area in New Mexico right around where the first nuke tests were being done that you are not allowed to use 440. A few hours north of Holloman AFB/White Sands.

WD8OQX
05-25-2006, 10:01 PM
I KNEW that there were restrictions but not that they were this wide spread - don't mean to contradict but have to wonder, could the info be wrong?

W6EM
05-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Quote[/b] (n1ir @ May 24 2006,12:43)]It is important to obey these restrictions, because of NTIA based communications in those areas.

Surprised Area 51 isn't on the list ;-)
More supposition, as usual. #From the usual source.

Yes, the reason for the restriction is as was stated by someone else. #A special radar that the Air Force uses at some, but not all of its facilities.

While a resident of FL, and a new owner of a 110W UHF mobile radio, I was informed of the limitation by a fellow ham.

Oddly enough, though, a UHF repeater, with a gain antenna and feeding 3" gas-filled hardline with more than 100W out of its duplexer got permission to operate at its site 40 miles south of Tampa. #If that weren't enough, its antenna height was about 1100 feet above sea level!!!

So, me, a little old mobile user thought heck, if they could get permission to do that while only 40 miles from Central Command HQ at MacDill AFB, then, so could I.

The process was this: #I contacted the NTIA Military Area Frequency Coordinator at Patrick AFB, FL. #I included my proposed output power, estimated line loss, and estimated antenna gain. #He OK'd my operation at well above 100W ERP. #And, I took his approval to the FCC Enforcement Bureau Regional Director in Tampa, and he issued me, in effect, Special Authority (Permanent) for mobile operation in FL.

Fairly straightforward.

As a first step, for anyone interested, since there no longer are "Engineers-in-Charge", try contacting the FCC Regional Director of their respective areas to obtain the contact information for the correct NTIA Military Area Frequency Coordinator.

Since I now live in Alabama, I haven't operated much at UHF and only at low power since there are so many hills here.

On top of all this, isn't it interesting that a mobile station got authorization? #Perhaps, me thinks, the restriction may have out lived its usefulness.

Lee
W6EM

K2WH
05-25-2006, 11:52 PM
I knew about this 35 years ago and never forgot it.

K2WH

WA9SVD
05-26-2006, 06:23 AM
Wait! I thought it was Elvis who shot J.R., and J.F.K. slowly drove the getaway vehicle, a white Ford Bronco...

The power limitations are in place because there are military (and even civilian) radar installations that still use the 400 MHz and above frequencies. (Not ALL radar is in the microwave region!)
70 cm IS a shared band, and Amateur Radio has secondary status; thus, we have the restrictions, not the government stations or facilities.

But there ARE exceptions to the rules. An "earth station" (such as one for satellite operations CAN transmit up to 611 Watts ERP, 435-438 MHz, and higher power if they get authorization, as it says, on a case by case basis. The stipulation is that the antenna would have to be pointed more that 10 above the horizon. Not too hard for a satellite antenna array.

It is all in the rule book, and we are supposed to know and follow the rules. I'd think Riley would take a dim view of Amateurs who interfered with military radar or other government operations.

Then again, a 50 Watt limit isn't as bad as total prohibition from use of 70 cm. in designated areas. But regardless of power level, we must NOT cause interference to other services on 70 cm, and we are NOT provided any protection from interference by the government services. THEY have the primary allocation.

W6EM
05-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Quote[/b] (wa9svd @ May 25 2006,02:23)]# #It is all in the rule book, and we are supposed to know and follow the rules. #I'd think Riley would take a dim view of Amateurs who interfered with military radar or other government operations.

# #Then again, a 50 Watt limit isn't as bad as total prohibition from use of 70 cm. in designated areas. #But regardless of power level, we must NOT cause interference #to other services on 70 cm, and we are NOT provided any protection from interference by the government services. #THEY have the primary allocation.
While what you've said is true, actions defy logic. Why? Well, as in my personal example, it makes little sense to still have in place a 50W restriction across the entire state of Florida (which, BTW, is FLAT as a pancake) yet allow a repeater operating at 1100 feet on a tower with an ERP of probably at least 500Watts that is about 100 miles as the crow flies from Patrick AFB and about 35 miles from MacDill AFB.

And, there's my example of permission to use in excess of 100W while mobile.

That said, either the restriction should be lifted for the entire state of Florida, or, a zone distance established around any remaining operational radars in the state of Florida where no 70cM operation is allowed at all.

My speculation is that there either are not any anymore, or, the radii of concern is much, much smaller. But, even a smaller zone of concern makes little sense.

I realize making changes to regulations has a cost involved, but, also, too, costs are involved to process requests for special authority.

Non-interference operation from a secondary allocation is an after-the-fact occurence, or the result of listen before transmit assumption. We may or may not be able hear a radar pulse. And, certainly, if a dormant radar is suddenly turned on and a few of us are causing it problems, I'm sure we will promptly hear about it.

Just remember this: If the restriction is still pertinent and strategic, there would be a total prohibition within a radius of the facilities as there is surrounding the White Sands area. When you think about it, even a few Watts close in to a source would be just as bad as 100W a little further away.

Somehow, me thinks the regulations are a tad out of date. Anybody up for a rulemaking Petition?

Lee
W6EM

K5CO
05-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Periodically, I do some specialized work for the folks at area 51; and I'd have to say that all of the above is a load of garbage. Well, except for the two alien bodies; they do have those. We were pouring some Mexican beer on one of them at a party last month. They are done with the bodies now and not sure what to do with them. One guy suggested a "Christian burial".
That should work.

K0RGR
05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Garsh...I remember looking into this when I lived in California, but I didn't think I was in an area that was covered at the time. Either the boundaries have moved, or I misread the descriptions at the time. Here in MN, I'm more concerned with the 'Boundary A' restriction for those occasions I travel north of Duluth.

N6VMO
05-26-2006, 04:35 PM
I use the tried and true rule of: #'It's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission.' http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

AD7BK
05-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Quote[/b] (aa1mn @ May 25 2006,11:12)]The only reason that it isn't is because then the government would have to acknowledge it's existence and stir up more controversy about the Roswell UFO crash and the Moon Landing Hoaxes.

But it doesn't stop there, my friend, oh no not by a long shot. It delves much deeper into governmental lurid deceptions than anyone of us could even begin to imagine.

Now, I'm not at liberty to disclose my sources for reasons of confidentiality and fear of reprisals which I'm not at this time ready to deal with but I have it on good authority and from reliable sources that former Beatle, John Lennon, is in fact being kept under close guard at Area 51 for reasons so well kept that none of his surviving bandmates are even aware of them. Suffice it to say, Chip, that Yoko Ono orchestrated her husband's "murder" to benefit her -- and his -- own profit and for the profit of the United States government as well.

None of us will ever know the truth about this, I'm sure, so it's be that we all just pretend that this post was never made, leave quietly and move on. But above all, keep transmitter power levels at or below 50 watts when in the Arizona area.

Oh BROVO!!

Oh and Elvis is the head of that department!

He is a "hero"

never forget that :P

The Truth is it is best to deceive than to be deceived, this way if the truth comes out it would not be good for us? "We can't handle the truth!" for it to be known that is to confirmed what we knew all along, that "We are a country of the double standard" and we thrive on it and others are jealous....

Welcome to the 21st century!

Some day maybe just maybe it will fix itself and be fixed for good.....

W6EM
05-26-2006, 05:58 PM
As I said earlier, this whole subject is somewhat goofy.

Another example:

Footnote US7:

i) In the States of Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina within a 200-kilometer (124-mile) radius of Warner Robins Air Force Base, Georgia (latitude 32[deg]38[min] North, longitude 83[deg]35[min] West).

How goofy can you get? If you draw a line from Warner Robins GA straight across to Columbus and the border being the Chatahoochie River, that's just about 100 miles. So, only 24 miles further into Alabama.

Now, get this:

(b) The entire State of Florida including the Key West area and the areas enclosed within a 322-kilometer (200-mile) radius of Patrick Air Force Base, Florida (latitude 28[deg]21[min] North, longitude 80[deg]43[min] West), and within a 322-kilometer (200-mile) radius of Eglin Air Force Base, Florida (latitude 30[deg]30[min] North, longitude 86[deg]30[min] West);

Draw a line due north from Eglin AFB, FL, 200 miles and
you've just about encompassed the southern half of the entire state of Alabama. Up to within 50 miles of Birmingham. Yet, no mention of Alabama at all in that paragraph.

As I said earlier, this whole business is goofy. Somebody's whistlin' Dixie. Besides me.

Also, I'm not going to post it, but the footnote for Southern Californians within 200 miles of the Pacific Missle Range (Pt. Mugu) in Ventura County would take in everything from about Delano on the north to almost San Diego on the south. So, everybody in LA better not be running more than 50W PEP on 70cM without permission!!!

ROFLMAO!!!

Lee
W6EM

WN4M
05-26-2006, 07:06 PM
The reason for the 50 watt limit on UHF in Florida, is the magnetic storms it causes. I saw in a movie a couple of years ago where they created a magnetic RF storm off the coast of miami in a little known place (the bermuda triangle) The result was a Storm (hurricane) with over 350mph winds that almost wiped out the population of florida. Its twue, its twue.........(not) or is it???

W6EM
05-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Quote[/b] (WO6T @ May 25 2006,14:47)]you can ask for permission to use ( in my case 400 watts ) from the fcc. and the base
( in my case Pacific Test Center , Point Mugu, California ) and give all your information,addr: phone etc., #latitude and longitude . it will take about 2 weeks for a reply , #So it is possible to use more than 50 watts ,
MICKEY WO6T
Sure, its possible. #BUT, you shouldn't have to ask. #For those that don't know, PMR is at sea level. #Just to the east and north and also to the south are some rather steep mountains. #Part of the Sierras and I think, the San Gabriel mountains. #Elevations of several thousand feet, up to about 6000 or so to the north before descending into the San Joaquin Valley.

How stupid, then, is it for such a 200 mile restriction, if such terrain makes a perfect shield from PMR for all but any repeaters or remotes atop those ranges? #Oh, sure, maybe mobiles in Oxnard, Ventura and Malibu ought to be subject to a limit, if there still is a concern.

I think you can see my point. #Literally every other source of 70cM RF could run 1.5kW ERP and the mountains would form an effective shield for the PMR.

Sure looks to me as though at least several of the paragraphs (of US7) could use some adjustment to both make more sense and be easier to enterpret.

Lee
W6EM

KA9UCE
05-27-2006, 06:15 AM
[B]I'm a good 440 ham, I use whatever power I can produce!

I have been known, and have available, an amplifier that will do 375 watts easily, and it would not be difficult to adapt it to a mobile, or even a portable, all I would need to do is remove the IPA and run the 45 watt mobile and BAM!...Instant radar busting power.

Since I am NOT under the authority of ANY military god, I will NOT ask for 'permission' from them. They work for ME, not the other way around!

This is the U.S.A, where the people RUN the government AND military, I am long done with my life being dictated to BY the military!

If I feel like running more than 50 watts, I'll do it!

I have had it with the SHEEP asking for permission to remain alive, while the wolf feeds on the carcas of its neighbor.

MY government, MY military, MY money...>MY country!

If we were a military controlled nation, then we would not be free, and we are very close to that right now, but since the military is NOT the law of the land, I'll be damned if I will 'ask' permission from ANY damned base 'commander'...Who the HELL do they think THEY are anyhow??

Secondary or not......I will NEVER take orders from any military puke, my tour of duty ENDED years ago!

Sorry if I offend anybody, but the militray does NOT give ME orders.....I am NOT property, I am a FREE person and I can choose what I want to do, NOBODY owns me, and I damn sure take no orders from any military personnel.

My past life of dictatorial regimes has long ended, my committment is long over, the military has no legitimate control over any civilians.

Too bad, so sad...I will operate above 50 watts when I feel it is appropriate to do so.

*ALWAYS question authority*

With a 'leader' like the head plant, I can see WHY we are in deep trouble.

As for line 'A'...Again, we are pandering to the Canadians, while 2/3s of their UHF systems remain UNUSED, even there highband systems have been left in ruins and ill-maintained, why should we cater and allow Canada to run over us with their high powered stations while we restrict our people to the under 50 watt 'rule'?

Most of the systems I've seen and heard in the line 'A' area are low UHF...415-436, and a few of them are as wide as a barn door with its signals...try 15Khz. W I D E.
Splatter on several adjacent frequencies and NOTHING is done to mitigate the problem because 'we' don't want to create 'trouble', so we leave it alone in hopes that it will just go away, which it never does.

But again, I am not dictated to by the military, and I REFUSE to bow down to anybody, especially the military!

What the troops are doing in Iraq is simply playing cat and mouse, and it will NEVER get better, and we will be there longer than we were in Vietnam, BOTH will be a shameful WASTE of LIFE and resouces best used for more LEGITIMATE needs, like feeding OUR homeless and starving!

Kill Osama...THAT is the REAL object of focus, not Iraq, whom we have defeated over and over again, and who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper sack.

They LOST the ability to regroup and redeploy, and are only a few steps from returning to the 'stone age', aside from the human bombs the idiots recruit all over the mid east, those people would kill their own family members in the name of their religion.....How 'civilized' can they be?

KG6YTZ
05-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Quote[/b] (wb1wmb @ May 22 2006,10:05)]and the areas enclosed within a 200 mile radius of the Pacific Missile Test Center, Point Mugu, California (latitude 3409' North, longitude 11911' West)
Well, I'll be dipped... #I'm going to assume here that I - at just a bit northwest of 118W by 34N - fall well within this radius. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

The coordinates I've entered in my profile are almost the location of my antenna, but I think a final digit or two has been dropped or rounded by QRZ, so those coordinates don't even point to the right building. #Google Earth says 34 5' 36.74" north by 118 2' 4.83" west. #QRZ says 34 5' 37.13" north by 118 2' 5.02" west. #I don't have GPS.

But anyway... #Yeah. #I'm going to say I'm inside that radius.

W6EM
05-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Quote[/b] (KG6YTZ @ May 26 2006,02:53)]
Quote[/b] (wb1wmb @ May 22 2006,10:05)]and the areas enclosed within a 200 mile radius of the Pacific Missile Test Center, Point Mugu, California (latitude 3409' North, longitude 11911' West)
Well, I'll be dipped... #I'm going to assume here that I - at just a bit northwest of 118W by 34N - fall well within this radius. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

The coordinates I've entered in my profile are almost the location of my antenna, but I think a final digit or two has been dropped or rounded by QRZ, so those coordinates don't even point to the right building. #Google Earth says 34 5' 36.74" north by 118 2' 4.83" west. #QRZ says 34 5' 37.13" north by 118 2' 5.02" west. #I don't have GPS.

But anyway... #Yeah. #I'm going to say I'm inside that radius.
Yep, you're real close. Want another good laugh?

If you draw a straight line from Pt. Mugu to Tijuana, its about 175 to 180 miles distant. So, are they going to tell the Mexican hams within 20 miles of our border (that) they can't emit more than 50W ERP on 70cM?

More logic to the illogical.

Mucho thought went into the development of those restrictions. Undoubtedly by some very expernsive bureaucrat.

WA2ZDY
05-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Quote[/b] (w6em @ May 26 2006,09:11)]. . .

That said, either the restriction should be lifted for the entire state of Florida, or, a zone distance established around any remaining operational radars in the state of Florida where no 70cM operation is allowed at all.

. . .
Lee, I hope some knucklehead with a few ounces of authority isn't reading this. I'd hate to think you planted an idea in someone's head. Obviously restrictions are unlikely to be lifted; given the opportunity I'm sure they'd prefer your second idea.

UCE, you are a good ham. We need more folks like you. I just wish I had the guts to say "screw the rules, I'm doing what I want and THEY CAN'T STOP ME!"

Oh wait, I CAN say that. The freebanders say it all the time. I think though I'll just play the game, keep my ticket and not be Gerritson/Baxter Jr.

I think I'll just keep my 45 watt GM300 and be happy I'm in compliance as I cruise Bruce B Downs Blvd this summer.

WA9SVD
05-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Quote[/b] (ka9uce @ May 26 2006,23:15)][B]I'm a good 440 ham, I use whatever power I can produce!

I have been known, and have available, an amplifier that will do 375 watts easily, and it would not be difficult to adapt it to a mobile, or even a portable, all I would need to do is remove the IPA and run the 45 watt mobile and BAM!...Instant radar busting power.

Since I am NOT under the authority of ANY military god, I will NOT ask for 'permission' from them. They work for ME, not the other way around!

This is the U.S.A, where the people RUN the government AND military, I am long done with my life being dictated to BY the military!

I have had it with the SHEEP asking for permission to remain alive, while the wolf feeds on the carcas of its neighbor.

If we were a military controlled nation, then we would not be free, and we are very close to that right now, but since the military is NOT the law of the land, I'll be damned if I will 'ask' permission from ANY damned base 'commander'...Who the HELL do they think THEY are anyhow??

Secondary or not......I will NEVER take orders from any military puke, my tour of duty ENDED years ago!

Sorry if I offend anybody, but the militray does NOT give ME orders.....I am NOT property, I am a FREE person and I can choose what I want to do, NOBODY owns me, and I damn sure take no orders from any military personnel.

My past life of dictatorial regimes has long ended, my committment is long over, the military has no legitimate control over any civilians.

Too bad, so sad...I will operate above 50 watts when I feel it is appropriate to do so.

As for line 'A'...Again, we are pandering to the Canadians, while 2/3s of their UHF systems remain UNUSED, even there highband systems have been left in ruins and ill-maintained, why should we cater and allow Canada to run over us with their high powered stations while we restrict our people to the under 50 watt 'rule'?

Most of the systems I've seen and heard in the line 'A' area are low UHF...415-436, and a few of them are as wide as a barn door with its signals...try 15Khz. W I D E.
Splatter on several adjacent frequencies and NOTHING is done to mitigate the problem because 'we' don't want to create 'trouble', so we leave it alone in hopes that it will just go away, which it never does.

But again, I am not dictated to by the military, and I REFUSE to bow down to anybody, especially the military!

What the troops are doing in Iraq is simply playing cat and mouse, and it will NEVER get better, and we will be there longer than we were in Vietnam, BOTH will be a shameful WASTE of LIFE and resouces best used for more LEGITIMATE needs, like feeding OUR homeless and starving!

Kill Osama...THAT is the REAL object of focus, not Iraq, whom we have defeated over and over again, and who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper sack.

They LOST the ability to regroup and redeploy, and are only a few steps from returning to the 'stone age', aside from the human bombs the idiots recruit all over the mid east, those people would kill their own family members in the name of their religion.....How 'civilized' can they be?
Then you might like to meet Jack, ex-KG6IRO.
He had the same attitude about operating on Public Service frequencies: he claimed it was his constitutional right of free speech, and if it interferes with police communications, that was THEIR problem...

He is awaiting sentencing.

Saying you would wilfully interfere with military use of frequencies where the military has primary status IS patently offensive, and certainly not "Good Amateur Practice." Were many Amateur operators to take that attitude, the entire band COULD easily be removed from the Amateur allocation. Of course, then you would be a "freebander," not an Amateur Radio Operator. Illegal by what ever name you wish to use. And a great example of a role model for new operators.

Somewhere I read that an Amateur Radio Operator should be "Considerate, Loyal, ...Patriotic..." Yeah, that's it. It's patriotic to believe you have a right to cause possible interference to military use of radio frequencies. where they have priority. Such old fashioned ideals. Glad they don't apply any more.

K5CO
05-27-2006, 07:14 PM
One has to wonder why this is a topic for conversation. Don't all hams know this from their initial studies and staying somewhat in touch? Can't we talk about no cw or something?

WA9SVD
05-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Quote[/b] (k5co @ May 27 2006,12:14)]One has to wonder why this is a topic for conversation. Don't all hams know this from their initial studies and staying somewhat in touch? Can't we talk about no cw or something?
Apparently some licensees have no regard for the rules and regulations, and do not feel the rules and regs apply to THEM.

Once upon a time, REAL Amateur Radio Operators knew the rules and regs, and actually OBEYED the rules and regulations! What a quaint and obviously outdated concept.

KA9UCE
05-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Quote[/b] (wa9svd @ May 27 2006,03:01)]
Quote[/b] (ka9uce @ May 26 2006,23:15)][B]I'm a good 440 ham, I use whatever power I can produce!

Then you might like to meet Jack, ex-KG6IRO. #
# #He had the same attitude about operating on Public Service frequencies: he claimed it was his constitutional right of free speech, and if it interferes with police communications, that was THEIR problem...

# #He is awaiting sentencing.

Saying you would wilfully interfere with military use of frequencies where the military has primary status IS patently offensive, and certainly not "Good Amateur Practice." #Were many Amateur operators to take that attitude, the entire band COULD easily be removed from the Amateur allocation. #Of course, then you would be a "freebander," not an Amateur Radio Operator. #Illegal by what ever name you wish to use. #And a great example of a role model for new operators.

# #Somewhere I read that an Amateur Radio Operator should be "Considerate, Loyal, ...Patriotic..." #Yeah, that's it. #It's patriotic to believe you have a right to cause possible interference to military use #of radio frequencies. where they have priority. #Such old fashioned ideals. #Glad they don't apply any more.
You know, from day-1, I always played by the rules, THEN I ran into some information that made me rethink my take on this very subject.

Do any federal agencies hold licenses for the frequencies they use, or the military, they should, but I really doubt they do.

Why?

Because they are part of the federal system that assumes some form of elitism and they are above the law and above the rest of the population as well.

And even IF I did operate 440 with even 250 watts, do you think that has any effect in reality, over the operation of a radar station who's main lobe is weell ABOVE the horizon, and the sidelobe rejection is more than likely greater than -60 dB as well, so it's a fat chance in he** they would even know I existed, let alone interfering with anything.

How many 420-450 Mhz. radar site are operational within the U.S borders anyhow, and why would they 'need' so many anyhow?

Is it now impossible to get accurate weather data from other sources, say satellites, or ground based Dopler systems N.O.A.A operates?

They'll 'hear' me like I 'hear' them....NOT!

The reverse would be true if they could hear my 100 watt UHF FM carrier as this would tell me their sidelobe rejection is sub-par, they should 'upgrade' to a better system if a puny 100 watt 440 mobile can cause 'harm'...

Depict the precise 'harm' done to a 'weather' radar site?

If ths is used to profile clouds and cloud movements, then I seriously doubt any amateur operation would be capable of 'harming' such a site or sites.

We are ordered to obey or else...Hmm, sounds like a dictatorship to me.

Just like 'We care about YOUR safety'...that's why we have to FINE you and take money from you because you don't wear a seatbelt, but ride a 2-wheeled motorcycle, and the choice to wear or not to wear a helmet is...'OPTIONAL'...Sounds like a perfect example of...DISCRIMINATION...bought and paid for by the insurance companies.

So 'rules' are broken by most if not ALL federal agencies, they just 'really' enforce their will upon the rest of society to prove they are the ones who wield the sword of injustice.

I readily disregard ANY law or rule I find objectionable to me as I am not property, not am I a slave to anyone, even in the minimalist terms.

[B]People obey blindly because they assume their will and rights are subserviant to the great dictator in Washington, and the talking heads.

Plus, they are scared of standing up to the injustice that's pusjed on the citizens through 'legal' means by way of imprisoning people for doing what we really have a right to do.

Where in any document does it grant total power to our government?

It doesn't...they were never given the power in the first place, it was taken by laziness on our part alone.

The greates quote I find relevant to everybody is this:

* As governments grow, the freedoms of the people disappear*

I choose to stand up for what I know is right, and not to lay down and cower....

You can choose to be ruled, OR you can choose to rule...the choice is YOURS!

I choose the latter persoanlly.

How I operate does nto make me some sort of 'criminal', only that I choose to act in a manner that I find beneficial to me, and not to others, so what.

I render aid to stranded motorists and assist in RACES and ARES nets.

I also risked my life as a firefighter not 15 years ago....VOLUNTEER no less, in Northern Wisconsin.

I did my time in the Military personnel prison in Germany in 1980, so I have a right to voice my opinions, I've earned it.

Military service is no better than living in prison without bars, living life as dictated by a 'superior'....Yeah, right...

My XO had an IQ of 125!
Mine is 198, and HE was MY 'superior'?
He was a JOKE!

Rank is used to beat down people, and used as a sword to usurp authority without the mental power to properly use that authority.

How many cops went to prison for gunning down Amadou Diallo?

NONE!

An innocent man was murdered by people with authority and we let them get away with it daily.

THAT is the other reason I choose to stand up for MY rights, and I'll be damned if anybody is going to take them away...they are rights, NOT privileges.

I operate with courtesy and dignity, I give everybody equal respect until they prove they don't deserve it, by words used and how they treat others, bot on the air and in person.

Respect is earned, NOT demanded.

I'd even stand up and die to protect YOUR rights as well if I was required to, but I will never stand back and allow my rights to be categorically denied or supressed simply to appease a handful of politicians and their ego trips!

This is MY country as much as it is yours, so we ALL have a vested interest in the proper and just governance of this land.

Sadly though, under the bush regime, this is no longer the case.

If you wish to point fingers and call people ciminals, point those fingers in the direction of Washington, the HEAD criminal lives there!

I think it's a treasonous act when the president states the constitution is nothing but a G.D piece of paper!

What he said SHOULD have been enough to press charges of treason on him and he should be rotting in prison for the remainder of his life fro willful violation of the oath of office!

I am the LEAST of anybody's concern!

Good day gentlemen!

Have a WONDERFUL memorial weekend!

STAY SAFE...STAY ARMED!!

W6EM
05-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Quote[/b] (ka9uce @ May 27 2006,04:21)]...............

I think it's a treasonous act when the president states the constitution is nothing but a G.D piece of paper!

What he said SHOULD have been enough to press charges of treason on him and he should be rotting in prison for the remainder of his life fro willful violation of the oath of office!

Right-on, brother!!! My wife and I have said the same thing over and over. I even wrote my Representative at the time, Kathryn Harris (R-FL), to request the House begin the appropriate proceedings, but she didn't respond.

Too busy, I guess, acting like the debutante she is.

But, Bush isn't the only one. Cheney's just as bad, if not worse. What with his Haliburton War shenanigans of fabricating evidence of WMD and ordering a subordinate to disclose a classified operative's identity. Besides, of course, his continued direct personal gain from the profits from Haliburton's no-bid supply contract in Iraq.

Both of them should do some hard time at Gitmo. And, while they're there, let Fidel through the visitor's gate with a big poker. :-)

Lee

KC0W
05-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Cuckoo, cuckoo.

Tom kcw

WA9SVD
05-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Radar in the 400-450 MHz is STILL in use in many areas; including some relatively new systems to detect wind shear at airports. The frequency for radar of any sort is selected for the effectiveness for the information of interest.
And it matters little of the power actually transmitted by a radar system; it;s the returned signal that matters! Is the return signal from an airplane, or a wind vortex, or even a tornado as strong as a 100 Watt Amateur Radio signal?

If abuse occurs or continues, since Amateur Radio is secondary user, (THAT means we create NO interference, and are NOT protected from interference by legitimate Primary users) the FCC could just as easily remove the 70 cm. band from the Amateur repertoire.

That, of course, would make the scofflaws true outlaws. And "Personae non grata" to the respectable Amateur community.

WA5OK
05-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Quote[/b] (aa1mn @ May 25 2006,11:12)]
Quote[/b] ]Surprised Area 51 isn't on the list ;-)

The only reason that it isn't is because then the government would have to acknowledge it's existence and stir up more controversy about the Roswell UFO crash and the Moon Landing Hoaxes.

But it doesn't stop there, my friend, oh no...

Now, I'm not at liberty to disclose my sources for reasons of confidentiality and fear of reprisals...

This was so stupid I couldn't even force a smile at it's absurdity. I was thinking of asking you where you get this 'BS', but I think I'd be better off if you didn't tell me.

Why, oh, why, do I have to share air with people like you?

K5CO
05-28-2006, 04:42 PM
KA9UCE, you are one sick boy and I suggest that you get thearpy ASAP

K5CO
05-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Are you fellows going to ignore the fact that Clinton and Gore want a "living constitution" ? Which means one that can be changed to fit their agenda.

W6EM
05-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Quote[/b] (WA2ZDY @ May 26 2006,11:33)]
Quote[/b] (w6em @ May 26 2006,09:11)]. . .

. . .
Lee, I hope some knucklehead with a few ounces of authority isn't reading this. #I'd hate to think you planted an idea in someone's head. #Obviously restrictions are unlikely to be lifted; given the opportunity I'm sure they'd prefer your second idea.

UCE, you are a good ham. #We need more folks like you. #I just wish I had the guts to say "screw the rules, I'm doing what I want and THEY CAN'T STOP ME!" #

Oh wait, I CAN say that. #The freebanders say it all the time. #I think though I'll just play the game, keep my ticket and not be Gerritson/Baxter Jr.

I think I'll just keep my 45 watt GM300 and be happy I'm in compliance as I cruise Bruce B Downs Blvd this summer.
As you cruise down Bruce B Downs, dial up NI4CE's Verna machine. #That's the one used in my earlier example of perhaps why there really is no longer a need for the restriction. #At least in central FL. #Running several hundred watts ERP at 1100 feet, and, #a little closer to Patrick AFB than you are with your 45 Watts 5 feet off the ground, makes my point.

It matters not if the NTIA buffoon's listening that set up note US7 or not. #I will most likely soon file a Petition for Rulemaking before the FCC challenging the illogic and erroneous notes included in US7. #So, if they don't see it here, they will in a more direct way, soon.

Government waste and unnecessary regulation costs we taxpayers. #Procedures such as those made necessary as a result of US7 require additional time and effort for government employees that would be better spent on more important activities. #Sorry, but I don't bend over and take it, just because somebody says to.

Yes, amateur radio licensure and operation is a privilege, but, as citizens, we have a duty to demand rules and regulations that are based upon sound and accurate technical foundation, not on the whim of some bureaucrat who doesn't want to bother to take geography into consideration. #Or, from a bureaucrat who's too lazy to modify or remove restrictions left over from the Cold War era that are no longer necessary.

Someone said it has to do with weather radar? #My God, man. #We've got overlapping layers of satellites now, and even TV stations with their own doppler radars. #No restrictions about them.

Another illogical to toss into the ring: #Pacific Missle Range is a small-potatoes Naval launching spot just north of Malibu. #Go another 75 miles and you're really into missle launch city: Vandenburg AFB, CA., with its SLIC 6-site ICBM launch facility. #No restriction for it. #Now, why is that? #Is it because its within the ding-dong 200 mile radius to the north of Point Mugu or just because it didn't need one. #So, why does a seldom-used old Navy facility at Pt. Mugu need a restricted operation 200-mile radius for it and Vandenburg, a much, much bigger and more active site doesn't? #And, while we're at it, Beale AFB in NorCal is an almost inactive base, whereas Travis AFB, 100 miles to the south, is a very active, large base. #Beale has a restriction, Travis does not. #Another piece of illogic, ignored by some bureaucrat.

Please, please, we need one of those knuckle heads with a few ounces of authority to explain themselves. #Ah, probably the same one that objected to hams being given a band allocation at 5 MHZ because some ham might just transmit on one of NTIA's automatic link enablement channels. #Can't have that. #Nope. #A Canadian or a Brit probably could, though. #No problema.

Just like an XE2 can blast away with a kiloWatt on 70cM, 175 miles to the south of Pt. Mugu, without begging for permission......... #And, just across Mission Bay from the Navy's North Island AS and let's not forget Top Gun school at Miramar NAS, in northern San Diego county. #

Lee
W6EM

W6EM
05-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Quote[/b] (KC0W @ May 27 2006,08:49)]Cuckoo, cuckoo.

# # # # Tom kcw
Udderly sucks. Udderly sucks. Mooooooooooooo!

kd5rpo
05-28-2006, 10:34 PM
I live 1/2 degree north of the area which protects White Sands Missile Range here in New Mexico. The Komandant has warned us that Albuquerque hams are responsible for interfering with their telemetry.
Most of us keep to 50 Watts in order to prevent extension of the perimeter.
I think they need an excuse to explain why those Star Wars things they test don't work very well.

W6EM
05-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Quote[/b] (kd5rpo @ May 27 2006,18:34)]I live 1/2 degree north of the area which protects White Sands Missile Range here in New Mexico. #The Komandant has warned us that Albuquerque hams are responsible for interfering with their telemetry. #
Most of us keep to 50 Watts in order to prevent extension of the perimeter. #
I think they need an excuse to explain why those Star Wars things they test don't work very well.
Here's some food for thought. Since the FCC's created a new 700MHz public safety band, what a perfect place for White Sands telemetry and whatever Pt. Mugu has. Besides, when do the cops need to run more than 50W anyway? They don't attempt DX shots or EME. Or, just long shots on SSB or CW. Colocate the stuff on that band and that would make things much simpler.

Gotta laugh at another mental piece that just popped up.

An interesting example. Wayne Overbeck, N6NB, is quite a VHF and UHF DX chaser. His van was pictured in QST or CQ a while back. Very sanitary set up. I recall he had 500W +/- amps for 70cM in the van and generator, etc. The photo showed him atop some peak near his home in Tehachapi. Hmmmm, did he have permission? Tehachapi's only about 100 miles or so from Pt. Mugu.

I also recall that he's the consultant that the FCC consulted with to develop RF exposure limits.

This sounds almost like Cheney and Haliburton.... LOL.

Lee

kd5ncb
05-29-2006, 01:15 AM
there is a section of us 70 between las cruces,nm and white sands ,actually all the way to alamagordo that has a sign posted alongside the hiway,not only limiting power, but freq as well this sign is posted almost directly across from one of the entrance rds to johnson space ctr... also, the only aliens left are the illegal ones....:cool:

N4VSD
05-29-2006, 03:13 AM
I knew some folks who worked near area 51. They told me they are most concerned about some of the hams who are from MARS!!

Ken N4VSD

W7LPN
05-29-2006, 04:31 AM
I'm gonna go kill myself before the aliens come to put things up my rectum! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

KA5S
05-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Then there's Line A (http://wireless.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/utilities/lineac.pl) which protects Canadian radio users, and is more or less 100 miles from the Canadian border. It apears the FCC isn't sure where it is, exactly. (http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/maps/canline/linea.html)

K2LCK
05-29-2006, 11:46 AM
there is actually a road sign on the road in NM that runs from Carrazzoso to Socorro,NM past the Valley of Fires state park and the (closed) gate to the Red Canyon Range Camp. Sign mentions "amateur radio & 432".. or meybe 430-450.. Ed

K2LCK
05-29-2006, 11:53 AM
as far as some of the other posts: brings to mind the famous quote; "are all fishermen liars or do all liars fish?" ... with the substitution of hams for fisherman, and "'sick" for liars.. sigh..

KA5S
05-29-2006, 12:06 PM
In Massachusetts, we had the 440 MHz Pave Paws radar at Otis AFB to protect. However, we could run 611 watts ERP to a satellite or other Earth Station:
97.313 Transmitter power standards. (http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/d-305.html#313)

(f) No station may transmit with a transmitter power exceeding 50 W PEP on the UHF 70 cm band from an area specified in footnote US7 to 2.106 of the FCC Rules, unless expressly authorized by the FCC after mutual agreement, on a case-by-case basis, between the EIC of the applicable field facility and the military area frequency coordinator at the applicable military base. An Earth station or telecommand station, however, may transmit on the 435-438 MHz segment with a maximum of 611 W effective radiated power (1 kW equivalent isotropically radiated power) without the authorization otherwise required. The transmitting antenna elevation angle between the lower half-power (-3 dB relative to the peak or antenna bore sight) point and the horizon must always be greater than 10. (emphasis added)

Then there's Line A (http://wireless.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/utilities/lineac.pl), which protects Canadian radio users, and is more or less 100 miles from the Canadian border. It appears the FCC was unsure where it is, exactly. (http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/maps/canline/linea.html)

In any case, for part of its length, Line A runs North and South, which renders the wording in Part 97 less than perfectly clear:

97.303 Frequency sharing requirements.
(f) In the 70 cm band:
(1) No amateur station shall transmit from north of Line A in the 420-430 MHz segment.

(If we can't use the frequencies, others can, and CityFreq (http://www.cityfreq.com/mi/detroit/) lists the following assigned to other licensees in Detroit:
422.2875 422.8250 424.4875 424.7500 424.8625 425.0250 425.1000 425.1250 427.2250 427.3250 427.4250 427.4750 427.5750 427.6000 427.6500 427.7250 427.8000 427.8250 427.9000 428.2000 428.5375 428.9250 428.9500 429.7625 429.8500 429.9750 )

Cortland
KA5S

KI4IIB
05-29-2006, 08:00 PM
As a ham near Eglin AFB, I can tell you that the base tends to be quite acommodating to hams who request specified times to breach the 50W restriction. We had a guy once who was doing EME; he basically printed off a list of times the moon would be in the right place for the next year, turned it in to the base. They handed it back with a list of times he wasn't allowed, and voila! permission.

W6EM
05-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Quote[/b] (n4vsd @ May 27 2006,23:13)]I knew some folks who worked near area 51. #They told me they are most concerned about some of the hams who are from MARS!! #

Ken N4VSD
So am I. That's why I quit the program a couple of years ago. Those MARS vigilantes are something else!!

Lee
W6EM

N3JI
05-31-2006, 08:30 PM
...and we wonder why so many think Amateurs are weird. Jeez...

WA7KKP
06-07-2006, 06:12 PM
I guess many of us forget that our allocations from 220 MHz on up are SHARED, usually with military interests.

Also, the Line "A" is just a buffer zone along the Canadian border to protect their access. Keep in mind that they've lost the 420-430 MHz spectrum to commercial users now, so there's another SHARED spectrum.

Gary WA7KKP

N4EMS
06-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Quote[/b] (K3UD @ May 25 2006,09:46)]Wonder how many hams even know this...

I know that I was not aware of this rule. #The only rule I was aware of regarding the restrictions of 420-450 was along the Canadian border 50 miles inland around the Great Lakes due to Canada's use of 420, (and subsequently MI's), use of 423.xxx-428.xxx MHz for public safety and other "special emergency" use, (eg. ambulance services, hospitals, some fire departments and police agencies, repair crews for utility companies and so on and so forth.)

Thanks for the useful info.

W6EM
06-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Quote[/b] (n4ems @ June 10 2006,10:37)]
Quote[/b] (K3UD @ May 25 2006,09:46)]Wonder how many hams even know this...

I know that I was not aware of this rule. #The only rule I was aware of regarding the restrictions of 420-450 was along the Canadian border 50 miles inland around the Great Lakes due to Canada's use of 420, (and subsequently MI's), use of 423.xxx-428.xxx MHz for public safety and other "special emergency" use, (eg. ambulance services, hospitals, some fire departments and police agencies, repair crews for utility companies and so on and so forth.)

Thanks for the useful info.
Since I think you live in the Tampa Bay Area, if you feel the need to exceed 50W while mobile, chances are that you can apply for permission. I did and received same while I lived in Bradenton.

Also, my sympathies with respect to your dialogue with N1IR over on the UWB thread. He's quite a piece of work.

Lee
W6EM
Leeds, AL

KB7HK
06-26-2006, 04:43 AM
Actually, all the band restrictions for 70cm and the exemptions for telecommand and earth stations are fully detailed in the ARRL FCC Rule book in chapter 4, where the band plans are explained. Hard to believe so many hams don't bother to check it out before operating.
KB7HK