PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood MC-53DM mic

KG4NJW
06-15-2005, 07:58 PM
I have a MC-53DM Mic and need to know how to wire it with RJ-45 plug. I bought it used and the previous owner has taken the rj-45 off. Kenwood has where to put all the wire on their website but I do not know the colors of the wires to put them in the right place.

N5KRC
06-15-2005, 08:55 PM
The color/pin assignments are listed on the schematic on page two of the service manual.

You can download the manual here (http://www.mods.dk/downloadmanual.php?File=MC-52DM_MC-53DM_Service_manual.zip).

Happy Wiring! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Scott N5KRC

KG4NJW
06-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Started pouring over yahoo searching and found that manual right after I posted here, however the black wire is not located on the schematic. Is it noted as "NC" on the connector end view?

N5KRC
06-15-2005, 09:08 PM
As far as I know, NC usually means Not Connected. #Looking at the schematic, they show absolutely nothing going to pin 7, and only show a total of seven wires used to make the connection. I would assume you just omit the black wire. Might try cracking open the mic and tracing it's path, and confirm it with the schematic.

Scott N5KRC

KG4NJW
06-15-2005, 09:19 PM
the way i am looking at it, it goes 8)blue=dwn,7) NC, 6) mic=white 5) sheilded(I assume thats the wrapped wire)=GND (mic) 4)Green=STBY (PTT) 3)yellow=GND 2) 8 VDC=brown and 1) red=up

N5KRC
06-15-2005, 09:30 PM
That's the way I read it!

I had to re-terminate the microphone that came with my D700 last month. #If the 53DM is anything like the D700 mic (not sure of the model), be forewarned: #Those wires are stranded and TINY! #A standard crimp-on RJ45 didn't work too well for me. #The wires were so small they would end up getting pushed to the side in their slot, with the teeth from the RJ45 going to the left or the right of the wire. #The few wires I managed to hit right in the middle seemed to work, except for one that was intermitten; I assume it had pushed between the strands and wasn't making a good connection.

The local Fry's had an assortment of RJ45's, and one of them was specifically for stranded cable, as most Cat-5 and up are single strand. #First crimp with one of these connectors, worked like a charm.

Scott N5KRC

KG4NJW
06-15-2005, 10:03 PM
so the black wire is not used?

W9GB
06-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Jarome -

Pulled the MC-53DM microphone off my D700 radio (and turned on my magnifer lamp) - the wires are small - I am not that blind - yet. #There is no BLACK wire (read below).

Page 2 of the service manual is "right on". #There are ONLY 5 wires and 1 shielded pair (mic audio and shield) on this coiled cord - None of the 5 unshielded wires are Black.

My microphone does have black insulated sleeving around the shield (to prevent shorts) - and it would "look like a BLACK wire" inside the 8-conductor in-line plug.
Technically RJ-45 is an improper term for the 8-pin in-line connector - Layman slang is winning that battle.

Scott is also correct about different connectors. #There are versions made for flat and round cable as well as stranded and solid wire. #
This is critical selection for good crimp conection to the indivdiual wires and the outsdie cable sheath. (while they may look the same - they are not)

Be positive that you get the 1 -> 8 alignment correct - Page 3 of manual has good diagram.

Since this connector is the EIA/TIA 568 standard for a telecommunciaiton outlet and used for Ethernet network patch cables - you should be able to find an appropriate connector and crimp tool. #
In Alabama - call or visit Ack's web site:

ACK Electronics
3101 4th Av S
Birmingham, AL 35233
Phone: (205) 322-0588 #
http://www.acksupply.com/

They shoud be able to fix you up
(Mr. Ack, founder, was an early radio amateur in area).

w9gb

KG4NJW
06-16-2005, 02:07 AM
I must have some kind of wierd mic then because I have a sheilded wire (very thick,twisted silver and bronze fine strands of wire) a black wire, a red wire, a yellow wire, a green wire, a blue wire, a white wire, and a brown wire. I have downloaded the service manual and on the connector end view page it shows the modular plug(clip on top) numbered from left to right, 8-1. So the way I read it, left to right: 8=blue, 7=NC, 6=white, 5=sheilded, 4=green, 3=yellow, 2=brown, 1=red. That leaves a black wire not used.
Let me know if this is right this may be the whole problem
thanks
Slade

KG4WPD
06-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Jarome,
A friend of mine had problem with the connector on his MC-53. He didn't have much success repacing the connector so he ordered an new cord from East Coast Parts . . . Problem solved.

Hope the following info helps.

I did a simple search on Google for MC-52DM/MC-53DM and came up with the following:

Here is the address to a list of manuals for Kewood. Look down the list for your MC-53D Mic:

http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ListManuals=kenwood

A new Mic Cord Assambly can be purchased at East Coast Parts.
Their web address is http://www.kenwoodparts.com
Part #:
E30-3240-08 # MIC OCRD ASSY MC-53DM TM-261A TM-D700A T91-0568-25 MC-58DM # # #$9.56

Toll Free USA: 800-645-3516 #

Good Luck,
Tom KG4WPD http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

N5KRC
06-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Okay, I just yanked the NC-53MD off of the D700 out of the truck. Mine in fact does have a black wire!

Here's my color pinout. Looking at the RJ-45 with the tab upwards, starting on the far left:

8 - BLUE
7 - NC
6 - WHITE
5 - BLACK
4 - GREEN
3 - YELLOW
2 - BROWN
1 - RED

Hope this helps!

Scott N5KRC

KG4NJW
06-16-2005, 09:28 PM
I've tried it all different ways. no luck the first time i tried it i got it to light up but it was constantly keying the mic. I still have a thick wire that I do not know what to do with.
thanks for the help
slade

N5KRC
06-17-2005, 02:19 PM
If it's stuck in transmit, you've got pin 4 shorting with either pin 5 or 3 shorting somewhere; PTT is engaged when the PTT lead is pulled to ground.

Scott N5KRC

KG4NJW
06-19-2005, 02:23 AM
Right, this is because the "shielded" wire is very thick and connects to the pin next to it. I didn't use the black wire just the shielded one. So how can I hook this up without that happening?

W9GB
06-19-2005, 03:46 AM
OK, this is getting a bit frustrating - and you may really need an Elmer to physically show you how to do this correctly

Get out your VOM. IF the shield and the BLACK wire show continuity - then the BLACK wire goes to the AUDIO/MIC GND

The cable braid or foil shield does not physically connect to any of the 8-pins (telescoping shield).

w9gb

KG4NJW
06-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Your right, I do need an Elmer because I don't understand a word you said. The schematic doesn't show a black wire at all and the shielded wire is suppose to be wrapped around the white wire, none of this is correct on my mic. The shielded wire is by itself.

KA9MOT
06-19-2005, 02:46 PM
I'll bet that fat wire is audio and shield. I'd even bet that the audio is surrounded by the sheild and the whole thing is surronded by insulation.

KG4NJW
06-19-2005, 04:18 PM
The thick wire is just silver and copper wire twisted together, I have unwrapped it thinking the same thing. But no luck, there is also a white wire that is listed as the mic wire.

KG4NJW
06-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Okay, I got curious about why people say there is a wire inside the shielded wire. I opened the mic itself and looked at the wires coming out of the mic and there is no shielded wire only the black, red, yellow, blue, brown, green, and white. Then where the wires actually enter the cord the black wire gets thicker, like the shield is in there. But on the end where the plug goes there are nine wires. The previous 8 and then the shielded one= 9
Hope this makes sense to someone, because it doesn't to me. The schmatic doesn't mention a black wire, but my mc-45 has a black wire, it says the shielded wire should be wrapped around the white and it doesn't. These things have me stumped.

KC7FKW
04-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Let's resolve this 'Mystery Black Wire', once and for all. According to the 'Official' ,4 page, Kenwood MC-52DM/MC-53DM Service Manual [and physically checking 3 on-hand mikes] There are, in fact, 7 conductors. That which people are refering to, as a 'Black wire', is actually a short 'pig-tail', attached to the outer shielding, of the mike's shielded audio [white] wire. Reason being, is that the 'tinsel' wire, is almost impossible to solder to; hence a mechanical connection [the 'Pig-Tail' wire] expediant, allows the shield to be connected normally, inside both the Modular [RJ-45] male connector, and the white bodied 7 Pin [female] strip connector; inside the mike. The strip connector, connects to the male CN3 connector; on the mike's PC board. Colors for the strip connector, are arranged [rear wire side towards you, with polarization locators downward] from right to left, (1)Yellow, (2)Brown, (3)Blue, (4)Red, (5)Green, (6)White, (7)Shield [Black Pig-Tail]

If you hold the RJ-45 Modular connector, oriented so that the rear opening, for the mike cable, is facing you, and the plastic retainer [for the female jack] is downward, the color orentation needs to be, right to left, (1)Red, (2)Brown, (3)Yellow, (4)Green, (5)Shield [Black Pig-Tail], (6)White, (7)N/C [No Connection], (8)Blue.

PU2YYP
06-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Hello to all!

I need the schematic microphone mc-53 dm.
I have a problema in conection, but not in conector rj45, the problem is in conection other, internal on microphone.
I need the picture the other point.
Tanks, excuse-me for my english.

Respectifully,

Eduardo

VE7DQ
06-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Eduardo, I didn't open the service manual up to confirm that it has a schematic diagram, but the manual's here:

http://www.mods.dk/manual.php?brand=kenwood

Scroll down to the MC-52DM/MC-53DM service manual.zip.

ad: SteppIR-1