PDA

View Full Version : Royal Order of the Woulf Houng

K2CBM
06-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I was licensed in 1952 and I vaguely remember an initiation ceremony at Hamfests for membership in the Royal Order of the Woulf Houng? Do any you remember this? I know the initiation was done on the last night of the hamfest but I can't remember any other details.

KL7AJ
06-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Quote[/b] (K2CBM @ June 13 2005,12:40)]I was licensed in 1952 and I vaguely remember an initiation ceremony at Hamfests for membership in the Royal Order of the Woulf Houng? Do any you remember this? I know the initiation was done on the last night of the hamfest but I can't remember any other details.
Well, the original Wouff Hong is safely behind glass at ARRL Headquarters. I believe countless local clubs had some sort of Wouff Hong ceremony. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

eric

WA9SVD
06-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Sorry, that's privileged information. You have to be a registered member of the R.O.of W-H . And once initiated, you will never forget the details, but divulging them to the heathen non-believers would have dire consequences. And Lord knows, there are a LOT of operators out there that deserve an enthusiastic application of the "Rettysnitch." The W-H is too mild a treatment.

Most Hamfests or at least ARRL Conventions, still hold W-H initiations on Sunday mornings, approximately 0000 local time.

K9STH
06-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Having been a member of the ROWH for almost 45 years let me say this: If you ever were initiated in to the "Order" you would remember it!

Remember, like any "fraternity" there IS a secret handshake and password.

Glen, K9STH

WA3KYY
06-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Certain lines of enquiry are best left unexplored.

'Nuff said.

Mike, WA3KYY

KC0NBW
06-13-2005, 08:28 PM
if you have not been initiated into the order of the wouff hong, if i told you, i would be obligated to shoot myself and then you would be next ! http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

G0GQK
06-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Now isn't that strange ? The writer asked about the Royal Order of the Wouff Hong, so which European royal House ordained the Order.?
I have checked throught Debretts for the period and there is no mention anywhere about HM King Edward VII having any involvement.

As I recall reading about this Wouff Hong business a few years ago, Mr. Hiram was involved in being run around the office table followed closely by a person carrying the Wouff Hong. Its a wonder the darned thing hasn't got wood worm by now.

73, Mel

KL7AJ
06-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Quote[/b] (G0GQK @ June 13 2005,14:02)]Now isn't that strange ? The writer asked about the Royal Order of the Wouff Hong, so which European royal #House ordained the Order.?
I have checked throught Debretts for the period and there is no mention anywhere about HM King Edward VII having any involvement.

As I recall reading about this Wouff Hong business a few years ago, Mr. Hiram was involved in being run around the office table followed closely by a person carrying the Wouff Hong. Its a wonder the darned thing hasn't got wood worm by now.

73, Mel
That is only because our Constitution explicitly forbids the granting of nobility. But we do allow for a few worthy holdouts. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Eric

AL7N
06-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Initiation into the R.O.W.H. is a secret ceremony performed at
Midnight only on certain occasions......

Divulging details gets one sentenced to a workover with the Rettysnitch, and maybe even doomed to sending a long long CQ on the #Mighty UGGERUMF...man, believe me, you don't want to have that happen! #

So I ain't sayin.

K2CBM
06-13-2005, 11:27 PM
That answers my question! I will dream of Rettysnitches all night.

WA9SVD
06-14-2005, 02:25 AM
Quote[/b] (K2CBM @ June 13 2005,16:27)]That answers my question! I will dream of Rettysnitches all night.
One does NOT dream of the "Rettysnitch." It is the source of many nightmares, however, concerning the unspeakable horrors of it's application.

K8ERV
06-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Quote[/b] (K2CBM @ June 13 2005,16:27)]That answers my question! I will dream of Rettysnitches all night.
I would rather "dream of Jeannie" http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

N0KLT
06-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Quote[/b] (K8ERV @ June 14 2005,13:42)]
I would rather "dream of Jeannie" http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
We thought you only dreamed of Vanna. Boy are you fickle, dreaming of Jeanie and all that. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

KL7AJ
06-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Ya done spelt Wouff rong.

eric

KJ3N
06-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Quote[/b] (wa9svd @ June 13 2005,15:52)]And Lord knows, there are a LOT of operators out there that deserve an enthusiastic application of the "Rettysnitch." #The W-H is too mild a treatment.
My personally favorite implement to use on quite a number of hams (and the general public, for that matter) is the Clue By Four.

KF0RT
06-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Okay... I'm familiar with the Wouff Houng and the Rettysnitch, but just what the heck is a UGGERUMF?? And, "Clue By Four?" (Obviously has roots in the 2x4).

73, Rob

K8ERV
06-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Quote[/b] (N0KLT @ June 15 2005,05:52)]
Quote[/b] (K8ERV @ June 14 2005,13:42)]
I would rather "dream of Jeannie" # #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

TOM K8ERV #Montrose Colo
We thought you only dreamed of Vanna. Boy are you fickle, dreaming of Jeanie and all that. #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
I'm an equal-oportunity dreamer----

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA9SVD
06-18-2005, 03:58 AM
Quote[/b] (n3jja @ June 15 2005,12:48)][
My personally favorite implement to use on quite a number of hams (and the general public, for that matter) is the Clue By Four.
That's a new one to me. I take it (not literally or personally, I hope) it's something for those that are clueless? It would probably render most individuals even more clueless...

WA9SVD
06-18-2005, 04:16 AM
Quote[/b] (kl7aj @ June 13 2005,14:05)][
That is only because our Constitution explicitly forbids the granting of nobility. But we do allow for a few worthy holdouts. :)

Eric
That's obviously true. There's Count Basie, Duke Ellington, "The King" (Elvis) amoungst others. But I believe the ROW-H had it's origins in Elbonia, formerly known as Freedonia, a Marxist regime. (That's Groucho, not Karl.)

KE5HSW
09-09-2008, 06:56 AM
When, and where??????

wish to join.

G8ADD
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Well, if a Royal Warrant can't be produced to justify the Royal in the title, then a fraud is being committed which in itself would justify the penalty of the rettysnitch!

Even though we eventually dumped the American colonies as being more trouble than they were worth, they having originally being subject to the British Crown, the Pretender to the vacant throne of the USA is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, so any Royal Warrent to permit the prefix Royal should have been issued by Her Majesty. If word of this fraud gets to Buck House, a squad of Beefeaters will be despatched to apply the Rettysnitch - or something even more medieval!

Brian G8ADD

AE1PT
09-09-2008, 11:58 AM
What happened to it? Same thing as the Loyal Order of Water Buffalo's. Society changed, members died off, and no one really cares about secret handshakes anymore...

W4HAY
09-09-2008, 01:36 PM
...a squad of Beefeaters will be despatched...
As long as they bring their Gin with them...

K8ERV
09-09-2008, 01:49 PM
We thought you only dreamed of Vanna. Boy are you fickle, dreaming of Jeanie and all that. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I am an equal-opportunity dreamer---

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K8ERV
09-09-2008, 01:54 PM
I picked this up at a yard sale. It is really a cribbage board. Made in China.

WA9SVD
09-09-2008, 02:28 PM
That answers my question! I will dream of Rettysnitches all night.

Dream? Nay. NIGHTMARES of the Rettysnitch will keep you awake at nights, and dread the darkness...

WA9SVD
09-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I picked this up at a yard sale. It is really a cribbage board. Made in China.

It figures. An "inexpensive" copy of the real thing. Before you know it, they will be available at the 99 cent (OOPS, make that 99.99 cent ) store...:mad:

KL7AJ
09-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I was licensed in 1952 and I vaguely remember an initiation ceremony at Hamfests for membership in the Royal Order of the Woulf Houng? Do any you remember this? I know the initiation was done on the last night of the hamfest but I can't remember any other details.

I just got my Royal Order of the Wouff Hong certificate in the mail yesterday. We had a ceremony at the Alaska Hamfest in August. The tradition still stands!

Eric

KL7AJ
09-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Now isn't that strange ? The writer asked about the Royal Order of the Wouff Hong, so which European royal House ordained the Order.?

73, Mel

Hiram Percy Maxim's father, Hiram S. Maxim, was indeed knighted. (He had become an English citizen, primarily because of some grief with the U.S. patent office pertinent to his invention of the machine gun.). So, indeed the Wouff Hong has legitimate English parentage.

Eric

KL7AJ
09-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, if a Royal Warrant can't be produced to justify the Royal in the title, then a fraud is being committed which in itself would justify the penalty of the rettysnitch!

Even though we eventually dumped the American colonies as being more trouble than they were worth, they having originally being subject to the British Crown, the Pretender to the vacant throne of the USA is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, so any Royal Warrent to permit the prefix Royal should have been issued by Her Majesty. If word of this fraud gets to Buck House, a squad of Beefeaters will be despatched to apply the Rettysnitch - or something even more medieval!

Brian G8ADD

My dear Brian:

Contrary to much revisionist history, the Amerrican colonies were not "dumped". You Brits were summarily ejected in a little squabble known as the "Revolutionary War." This was in unseemly little episode brought about by the insistence by you British of desecrating perfectly good tea with milk and sugar. If you had merely learnt to drink tea in a civilized manner, this whole bloody incident would have been totally unnecessary, and we all would be merrily dropping our H's and getting along famously, whilst saving a lot of perfectly good ammunition for use in fox hunts and other worthy entertainments.

Now you know.

Eric

KB1KIX
09-09-2008, 04:17 PM
The sugar, I can tolerate. But milk? Oh, the horror! Oh Humanity! Blasphemy to ruin perfectly good tea.

Such an offense to our social graces at the time. But there was that one nice saltwater tea event!

Damn indians....

On the Wouff Houng..... fun stuff indeed. Had a ceremony here at 0000 Sunday morning and it was great (during the New England Convention).

I could tell more, but I'm live so close to ARRL HQ, I'd be very afraid of all the retribution .... and the Rettysnitch (sp).

Jonathan

K7KBN
09-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Ya done spelt Wouff rong.
eric

Also Hong is rwong.

WA9SVD
09-09-2008, 07:26 PM
The sugar, I can tolerate. But milk? Oh, the horror! Oh Humanity! Blasphemy to ruin perfectly good tea.

Such an offense to our social graces at the time. But there was that one nice saltwater tea event!

Damn indians....

On the Wouff Houng..... fun stuff indeed. Had a ceremony here at 0000 Sunday morning and it was great (during the New England Convention).

I could tell more, but I'm live so close to ARRL HQ, I'd be very afraid of all the retribution .... and the Rettysnitch (sp).

Jonathan

Earl Gray? NEVER!

Give me Arabica or give me... (let me think that over...
) How about Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain?:o

K8ERV
09-09-2008, 10:56 PM
The sugar, I can tolerate. But milk? Oh, the horror!
Jonathan

My wife drinks tea, but only with milk or cream. I think tea is just diluted water.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KC0UWF
09-10-2008, 04:20 AM
I did a little reading on this thing.. very little.:confused:
dumbest thing I read about on this "technical" site yet.

AB1GA
09-10-2008, 12:29 PM
I did a little reading on this thing.. very little.:confused:
dumbest thing I read about on this "technical" site yet.

Then you must not yet have read about the man who felt compelled to eat 23,000 Bic Macs.

You'll have to forgive us, but every now and then the laundry service forgets to starch our skivvies and we deviate from the Path of Pure Enlightenment, taking simple-minded joy from silly and trivial topics. And when they launder the hair shirts with Woolite(TM), things really get out of hand!

:)

K8ERV
09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
every now and then the laundry service forgets to starch our skivvies

When mine does that I ground her for a week.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

G8ADD
09-10-2008, 02:41 PM
My dear Brian:

Contrary to much revisionist history, the Amerrican colonies were not "dumped". You Brits were summarily ejected in a little squabble known as the "Revolutionary War." This was in unseemly little episode brought about by the insistence by you British of desecrating perfectly good tea with milk and sugar. If you had merely learnt to drink tea in a civilized manner, this whole bloody incident would have been totally unnecessary, and we all would be merrily dropping our H's and getting along famously, whilst saving a lot of perfectly good ammunition for use in fox hunts and other worthy entertainments.

Now you know.

Eric

No, no, Eric! After we finished dealing with Napoleon we could have fielded perhaps 100,000 underemployed troops against you and reversed the previous umpires error, but it was pointed out that we would then have to divert our precious reserves of tea to your succour, and nobody could face the thought!

Personally I will drink tea with milk, sugar, lemon or even a nice big measure of whiskey in it, but I think the most evil tasting drink in existance is that Chinese smoked tea, what do they call it? Ah yes, Laptop Wouff Hong!:D

Brian G8ADD

AB1GA
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Personally I will drink tea with milk, sugar, lemon or even a nice big measure of whiskey in it, but I think the most evil tasting drink in existance is that Chinese smoked tea, what do they call it? Ah yes, Laptop Wouff Hong!:D

Bravo, OM, Bravo!

WA9SVD
09-11-2008, 02:51 AM
No, no, Eric! After we finished dealing with Napoleon we could have fielded perhaps 100,000 underemployed troops against you and reversed the previous umpires error, but it was pointed out that we would then have to divert our precious reserves of tea to your succour, and nobody could face the thought!

Brian G8ADD

Well, I CAN tolerate even Earl Grey, provided it does have a nice measure of whiskey. Actually, Scotch Whiskey is preferred (sans the tea) with single-malt varieties the best, but in a pinch, some good ol' Kentucky sour mash will be an acceptable substitute.

K7KBN
09-11-2008, 05:41 AM
If you mix sweetened Chinese tea with Kentucky sour mash, does that somehow make "sweet and sour mash"...?:rolleyes:

ZL3GSL
09-11-2008, 05:54 AM
Contrary to much revisionist history, the Amerrican colonies were not "dumped". You Brits were summarily ejected in a little squabble known as the "Revolutionary War." ... But they came back in 1812, marched almost unopposed into Washington, and burned the President's house and the Congress buildings.:rolleyes:

AL7N
09-11-2008, 12:30 PM
We threw 'em out again after that too....

They ran thru the briars and
They ran thru the brambles
They ran thru the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go

They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em
On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico

WA9SVD
09-11-2008, 01:59 PM
If you mix sweetened Chinese tea with Kentucky sour mash, does that somehow make "sweet and sour mash"...?:rolleyes:

Umm, well... I'll drink to that.! If I like it ( or survive the combination) I may evenb try it again.:confused:

AG3Y
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Lemme see, WHAT were we talking about ? :confused: Anybody remember ? :rolleyes: Oh, yeah, it was that dreaded Wouff Hong

http://www.maxmccoy.com/weird%20radio.htm

Try to stay on subject, gentlemen, please ! ! ! :eek: ;) :D

AB1GA
09-11-2008, 02:18 PM
I dunno, maybe one can talk TOO MUCH about a certain thing or things....:eek:

WA9SVD
09-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Lemme see, WHAT were we talking about ? :confused: Anybody remember ? :rolleyes: Oh, yeah, it was that dreaded Wouff Hong

http://www.maxmccoy.com/weird%20radio.htm

Try to stay on subject, gentlemen, please ! ! ! :eek: ;) :D

Well, yes, but the current induction ceremonies (but not necessarily application of such implements) only occur at midnight during ARRL sanctioned conventions, the peripheral discussions (and in some cases, beverageconsumption) occuring here are an integral part of creating the fervent and reveent atmosphere necessary to conduct the cerermonies.

N5ARK
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Just went to the ceremony at the Delta Division at Jackson, MS. So the tradition still lives out there. Was told it is only performed at Division level at Midnight. I dont think I will forget it! If you get a chance to go to one I suggest it.

K8ERV
01-31-2010, 01:47 AM
That is only because our Constitution explicitly forbids the granting of nobility.

Eric

You mean all of my petitions have been in vain?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

N0NB
01-31-2010, 02:18 AM
That is only because our Constitution explicitly forbids the granting of nobility. But we do allow for a few worthy holdouts. http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

It does? Where? I know I read of a "lost" amendment from the civil war era that would have banned titles of nobility as low as Esquire which some attorneys use. Allegedly Virginia was the last required state at the time to ratify the amendment but the record of the vote was lost. It was probably 10 years ago that I read all of this.

I became a member of the ROWH at the ARRL National Convention in 1990 in KCMO. Yes, it was at midnight.

WA9SVD
01-31-2010, 02:42 AM

73, Mel

Typical that a Brit should think any mention of "royalty" should involve that of England or even Europe.

Our "Royal Order of the Wouff Hong" belongs to us Yanks alone, established by our own Hiram Percy Maxim ("THE Old Man.") the discoverer of the Wouff Hong and inventer of the ARRL.

K0RGR
01-31-2010, 03:37 AM
Actually, I witnessed such a ceremony at a National Convention many years ago. The solemnity of the occasion haunts me still.

Many a deed these days cries out for application of the ancient devices.

K4IWL
06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
You would have received a certificate establishing you as a member of the Royal Order of the Wouff-Hong.

AG3Y
06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Talk about reviving old posts ! ! ! Oh, that's right, we WEREN'T, were we ?

KB5SXC
06-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Wouff Hong = The Two Sounds of Lifting a Telegraph/Telephone/Power Line up the Service Pole to Hang on the insulator.

1. Take a 20 to 30 ft. long Pole and Lifter with the shaped end, to lift the line. Service Poles are taller these days, than they were back in the days gone by.

2. With the line in the groove of the Lifter, Exhale Air Rapidly and lift. Oooff, or Wouff, or Uughh, now with the line up to Insulator, place over the Insulator and set the line on the support bracket. Hung.

3. Repeat operation for Second and Third Wires, should there be three.

4. Move to the next Pole.

Been There, Done That.

KB5SXC
Leo

G0GQK
06-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Good grief ! Its back again ! Its like watching "Dave" on the free box, I never realised QRZ was on a loop.

G0GQK

AF6LJ
06-22-2010, 10:18 PM
I know there has never been a female ham inducted into this order.
I also know that the female half of Amateur Radio is not missing anything. :p:D;):)