PDA

View Full Version : Gap Titan DX

W4FZT
06-09-2005, 08:29 PM
The Titan DX is a good long distance antenna but obviously not real strong for local QSO. Will a good radial plan work to help with the locals ? Maybe someone could give me a few ideas on helping it for the short distance QSO. The antenna is mounted about 4' above the ground and approx. 50' from the radio.
Thanks,

WB2WIK
06-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Radials will do nothing for improving local communications with the Titan-DX. Actually, it's a poor performing antenna according to dozens of field trials comparing it against reference vertical antennas of several varieties. You might want to buy the "Vertical report" from Champion Radio Products, where this vertical was tested directly against several others and rated poorly compared with almost everything.

(BTW, Champion doesn't make or sell any antennas. They just did the testing, and provide an excellent, documented report on how it was done.)

If you want to work more local stuff, I'd recommend a wire loop antenna. It needn't be very high. A 40m loop will work well on 40 meters and all the "higher" bands (up through 10 meters) and measure only 35' on a side; so, it will occupy no more space than a set of wire radials for the vertical. But, it's a much more effective antenna and should provide excellent "local" results.

WB2WIK/6

N5TJD
06-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Or you can use a simple dipole low to the ground, like a 40m dipole at 30ft in an inverted-V configuration.

For local stuff, you want a higher angle of radiation.

W4FZT
06-09-2005, 10:30 PM
I do have a Windom up about 20'. I jumped a little soon on this antenna and as you said it has not lived up to snuff for me. Just trying to get some ideas before I sell it and the next guy has the same question for me....
Thanks again,

WB2WIK
06-09-2005, 10:44 PM
FZT: There's nothing wrong with verticals; just that particular vertical isn't a great performer.

If you have time and ambition, try some others.

WB2WIK/6

KA7RRA
06-10-2005, 12:20 AM
I have a gap titian antenna in the yard on a nast and it is a very good antenna I have beem happy with it. I have talked all over the place. Iam going to put up a steppir 3 element antenna when I get he chance
the reason I bought the gap was because it needs no radials
Dave
KA7RRA

W8ZNX
06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
hello 4ftz

what do you mean by local

do you mean 10 meter
30 mile line of sight local

or 80 meter
75 miles away sky wave local

if former
rase antenna high as you can

line of sight work
height is almost everything

heck

height IS everything

4 ft off the ground
same as hole in the ground

can you roof mount it
get feed point up to
18 feet or higher
will make world of difference

latter
you are sol
verticals are dud
short skip low band antennas
only start to get up and sing
at 4/5 hundred miles

yours truly
Mac

W8JI
06-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Quote[/b] (WB4FZT @ June 09 2005,13:29)]The Titan DX is a good long distance antenna but obviously not real strong for local QSO. Will a good radial plan work to help with the locals ? Maybe someone could give me a few ideas on helping it for the short distance QSO. The antenna is mounted about 4' above the ground and approx. 50' from the radio.
Thanks,
You'll make contacts with the Gap, especially on higher bands, but it really is a poor performer on lower bands.

As WB2WIK says, check out reviews where it is compared to other antennas.

The reason it is such an exceptionally poor antenna for lower bands is the lack of a ground system and the very lossy method of loading they use. I actually beat people using Gaps with my mobile antennas on bands below 40 meters, and generally tie them on higher bands!

The Gap antenna partially depends on ground losses for matching. If you reduce ground losses, SWR will increase. Even if you corrected ground losses you'd still have the very lossy coax inside acting like a loading system on lower bands.

I had a Gap Titian, and I used the aluminum to build a good conventional vertical antenna.

73 Tom

WB2WIK
06-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Quote[/b] (w8ji @ June 10 2005,03:20)]I had a Gap Titian, and I used the aluminum to build a good conventional vertical antenna.
That's great!

I had an Austin Healy 3000 and almost used it to make a really nice planter. Thanks, Lucas!

WB2WIK/6

WB2WIK
06-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Quote[/b] (w8znx @ June 10 2005,02:29)]yours truly
Mac
Mac, great work on the QRP glowbug transmitters recently published in -- gosh, where was it? -- CQ Magazine, I think.

I have a new jigsaw that would be perfect for making rigs of similar construction http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Keep up the nice work.

73 Steve WB2WIK/6

KL7AJ
06-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Quote[/b] (WB2WIK @ June 10 2005,08:47)]
Quote[/b] (w8ji @ June 10 2005,03:20)]I had a Gap Titian, and I used the aluminum to build a good conventional vertical antenna.
That's great!

I had an Austin Healy 3000 and almost used it to make a really nice planter. #Thanks, Lucas!

WB2WIK/6
I think we need to resurrect the Lucas Electric joke thread again http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Q: Why did the Americans win the Revolutionary War?
A: Lucas Electric

W8ZNX
06-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Quote[/b] (kl7aj @ June 10 2005,09:03)]I had an Austin Healy 3000 and almost used it to make a really nice planter. #Thanks, Lucas!
hello Steve
tnx its in this months CQ
more will be seen later

So
you to
have
met

Lucas #Prince of Darkness !

about 10 years ago met a brit ham
working in Detroit
he became a regular member
of 28600 Detroit gang

at a swindle
we all got together

asked the brit
who he worked for

he
diden't want to tell me

sayed
I would laugh at him

told him
I would not laugh at him

he says Lucas

could not help it
I started laughing

yours truly
Mac

KE7DFP
06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Quote[/b] (WB4FZT @ June 09 2005,13:29)]The Titan DX is a good long distance antenna but obviously not real strong for local QSO. Will a good radial plan work to help with the locals ? Maybe someone could give me a few ideas on helping it for the short distance QSO. The antenna is mounted about 4' above the ground and approx. 50' from the radio.
Thanks,
Just lay the thing down on it's side for local contacts. (HIHIHI). I'm just kidding, though it would work.

WB2WIK
06-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Quote[/b] (w8znx @ June 10 2005,09:16)]
Quote[/b] (kl7aj @ June 10 2005,09:03)]I had an Austin Healy 3000 and almost used it to make a really nice planter. #Thanks, Lucas!
hello Steve
tnx its in this months CQ
more will be seen later

So
you to
have
met

# # #Lucas #Prince of Darkness !

about 10 years ago met a brit ham
working in Detroit
he became a regular member
of 28600 Detroit gang