PDA

View Full Version : FT-920 Extended TX Mod?

WC5B
03-27-2005, 07:01 AM
After looking around online I find that the radio mod seems really simple. All I have to do is snip a wire. Problem is, after opening my rig, I have NO GREEN WIRE?

Now what? Anyone have this mod done to a like version?

Thomas
KT8VV
pending WC5B

KB2VXA
03-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Hi Thomas,

Try snipping the red wire, the heavy one coming through the retainer on the rear chassis skirt.

Sarcasm aside, keep your fingers out of the box! You have no need to transmit out of band and even if you never do you risk having an accusation stick if you have the physical evedence in your posession. The least understood word in Law is "intent".

73 de Warren KB2VXA

WC5B
03-28-2005, 02:24 AM
That is sarcasm Warren, and I would appriciate real advice. Have you heard the news? Theres a new band called 60Meters! And from time to time, I DO have a legal and liget reason to operate outside the HAM BANDS. If I "intended" to operate on bands I was not allowed, WHY did I spend the extra time upgrading my ticket to EXTRA? Leave the sarcasm at the door if you ever do make it to HF, and remember that it does not make you appear smarter and cool when you waist your time flaming people Q&A!

Mahalo
Thomas

K9STH
03-28-2005, 04:08 AM
OK, let us all "calm down".

There are reasons to "open up" transmit on HF equipment while there is virtually no "good" reason to open up transmit on VHF or UHF equipment.

Glen, K9STH
One of the QRZ.com moderators

W5HTW
03-28-2005, 04:29 AM
Quote[/b] (WC5B @ Mar. 27 2005,19:24)]And from time to time, I DO have a legal and liget reason to operate outside the HAM BANDS. If I "intended" to operate on bands I was not allowed, WHY did I spend the extra time upgrading my ticket to EXTRA?
Not sure what that "legal and legit" reason would be unless you are in MARS. Otherwise ham radios are illegal outside the ham bands. Outside ANY ham band, including 60 meters. And an Extra license doesn't grant out-of-band privileges. No ham license does.

On the other hand, it is not illegal to modify the radio. Have at it and enjoy! Just don't use it that way, as that is illegal. You can modify it to transmit on cell frequencies if you know how. Or TV channel 6. Or 121.5 mhz. Or on all of the above simultaneously. But actually transmitting there is a no-no. A beeg no-no!

So when I saw the thread heading, my "joke" input was to be: Get some green paint and paint one of the yellow or red wires. Then snip away.

Lighten up and laugh a bit. Then go find someone who had done the mod and ask them which color besides green they like?

Ed

K9STH
03-28-2005, 04:37 AM
Ed:

On all of the older (and that includes anything more than a couple of years old), you have to "open up" the transmit just to be able to use 60 meters.

Unfortunately, this usually allows the rig to be used on all sorts of frequencies that are outside of the amateur bands. Of course that inlcudes MARS frequencies.

Glen, K9STH

W8ZNX
03-28-2005, 06:53 AM
tom

heard some say
green wire clip
will not work/bum idea

change has to be
made/re program
micropros

u might want to check
yahoo user group ft 920

wont be bashed by nct's
that do not know
stock ft 920's
will not transmit
60 meters or any hf mars freqs

last looked extra class op's
can use 60 meters
and can join mars

notice how some ops
get hard time
for wanting to be able
to use more
often legal freqs on
their radio

nobody gave
owners of kwm-2a's
any bs 30 years ago

mac ex wn8pzc

WC5B
03-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks Mac. it is really agrivating when people have nothing better to do then try to start a debate about everything on this fourm.

And Ed, I did not mean to sound as if I blew my top. It wasn't the joke. I actually like sarcasm and its actually my own flavor of humor. I did laugh at that part of it until I kept going.

Just look at your response becouse of all that B.S. I never said that I wanted to operate OUTSIDE 60 meters! BUT I would not mind maybe using the privlidges I do have and to access MARS since I am ex Navy. What I meant by the Extra statement was that if I just wanted to operate were I am not suppose to, I could have stayed a technician and just jumped on whatever band I liked. Otherwise, I was just saying just becouse one is a Ham does not mean that is the only radio service one might be affiliated with. When I was in the military my commanders loved to see what my solid state rig would do. What if I was a boater? What if I worked for an oil company that used HF to communicate with platforms? All I am saying is that not everyone is up to no good and I TOO DO NOT SUPPORT PIRACY!

That aside, I just want to operate on 60Meters and MARS and have the flexibility if the need arised during an emergency or something. I just did not think I had to go into all this just to ask a simple question.

I have just got out of the military and digging in to life ROUND 2, which will include building up a new shack. Three times I have tried to use QRZ Q&A for some quick advice and THREE times I got more flame then fact.

I guess I will check that ft-920 yahoo group Mac, thanks for the tip, but I have a hunch that I will get some smart donkey to jump in and give me some internet legal advice. HAHA.

Other than that, hope all had a happy Easter and God Bless.

Thanks all and see ya on the bands (EDIT-Maybe I should say "INSIDE THE BANDS") HAHA
Aloha
Thomas
KT8VV
Pending WC5B

KB2VXA
03-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi Thomas and readers,

Like the man said, all of you calm down. If you had stated your intent in the first place NONE of it would have happened. Mods are available all over the Internet so search them out and good luck.

BTW, no mod I know of will limit transmit to the frequencies you intend to operate on, it opens the PLL to cover all that it receives. THAT'S why I told you to keep your fingers out of the box, many pirates have ham licenses and I really don't want to read about your Rileygram.

W8ZNX
03-29-2005, 05:56 PM
kb2vxa

expect the worst from people
you are always going to find it

mac ex wn8pzc

VE2NSM
03-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Maybe you read it, maybe not... mods.dk (http://www.mods.dk/forum.php?action=ViewArticleThread&ModsId=1570)
Check this forum, seems to be there is more than one version of the FT920, I read about software upgrading and such.

In doubt call yaesu, they surely know about that!

KB2VXA
03-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi guys,

"nobody gave
owners of kwm-2a's
any bs 30 years ago"

Of course not, Collins supplied modification instructions in the manuals. (;->)

"expect the worst from people
you are always going to find it"

"NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Monty Python

No problema, with a simple explanation problem solved (most of the time). If I catch flak for no good reason I drop out, again problem solved.

K9STH
03-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Remember that the Collins KWM-2 series was made primarily for the military with a secondary market in amateur radio. From the beginning the entire Collins S-Line / KWM-2 series were sold as being continuous coverage from 3.4 MHz to 30 MHz with the exception of the 5.0 MHz to 6.5 MHz bands. Later Collins furnished information on using the equipment in the 5.0 MHz to 6.5 MHz bands (different heterodyne oscillator crystals caused small segments not to be available with one crystal but another 100 KHz away that allowed coverage of that portion would work fine).

Also, 30 years ago we didn't have the "problem" of "freebanders" who defy FCC regulations and operate all over the place. Times have changed, unfortunately, and one really needs to know the "intent" of the person rquesting modifications.

Glen, K9STH

WA2ZDY
03-29-2005, 10:04 PM
How about the Drake B and C lines with the FS4? Talk about a gadget to get someone in trouble. But no, there weren't these problems back in the day, just like Glen says.

I actually did see one merchant ship where the radio officer was a ham and he used his Drake B line with the FS4 instead of the legal gear. Of course that was only on HF, not MF.

WB2WIK
03-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Quote[/b] (WA2ZDY @ Mar. 29 2005,15:04)]How about the Drake B and C lines with the FS4? #Talk about a gadget to get someone in trouble. But no, there weren't these problems back in the day, just like Glen says.
Or, how about any TR-7 ever made?

One of the reasons I keep mine is it transmits anywhere from 1.5 through 29.999 MHz, so any new band is immediately available. I was on 60m the day it was opened for our "channelized" use.

As for cutting wires, though, I always remember: "Cut the green wire! Ooops! BANG!"

WA2ZDY
03-30-2005, 01:10 AM
Steve, the TR7 is one of the very few "older" rigs I've never had the pleasure of operating. So I was unaware of that.

See? I learned something new today. Not bad for an OF.

KB2VXA
03-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi guys,

Now there you go, I've had my fingers in the Collins S Line and Drake TR-7 too, I know what they can do per manufacturer's instructions and their limitations. Speaking of Collins, the 30-S1 amp will push a bit more SSB power operated in the CW position if you don't mind the exhaust air stream getting slightly warm. (;->) Oh, I LOVE the way it tunes!

That may be the exception, Art's little wonders were made for military use with Amateur being second in his mind. I forget the military number but the S line mobile (?) package including the 30-L1 amp is an Amateur classic setup. BTW, a pulled 811-A lighted with a filament transformer looks cool atop the Christmas tree.

Oh Chris ZDY, you mention the "human race" but failed to mention if there ever was a winner.

ad: w5yi